luxxiz vs killu tonight

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nunchuk_Skillz

May 18, 2005
I watched the server sides, and I was kind of disappointed as well. Not so much in the players, but just in 2k4 as a 1v1 game. I've never spent any time playing 1v1 in any game, but after watching the CPL finals for PK and then the Q4 1v1 from CPL Winter, I have to say that 2k4 is a much slower, more boring 1v1 game... :/

Not that I like either PK or Q4 better (I tried Q4 and couldn't stand it), but at least for 1v1 they moved a *lot* more and the overall game was a lot faster paced and more aggressive than these 2k4 matches.

2k4 just seems like a much slower, more defensive game because the relation of the weapon damages to the strength of the health/armor is off enough to make it that way, and because of how slowly the spawns happen. So rather than being about a frenzied frag frest, it's more about map control and trying to remain stacked while heading off the freshly spawned guy at the good weapons and pups.

2k4 1v1 just seems alot more boring to me after watching this...

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Nunchuk_Skillz said:
I watched the server sides, and I was kind of disappointed as well. Not so much in the players, but just in 2k4 as a 1v1 game. I've never spent any time playing 1v1 in any game, but after watching the CPL finals for PK and then the Q4 1v1 from CPL Winter, I have to say that 2k4 is a much slower, more boring 1v1 game... :/

Not that I like either PK or Q4 better (I tried Q4 and couldn't stand it), but at least for 1v1 they moved a *lot* more and the overall game was a lot faster paced and more aggressive than these 2k4 matches.

2k4 just seems like a much slower, more defensive game because the relation of the weapon damages to the strength of the health/armor is off enough to make it that way, and because of how slowly the spawns happen. So rather than being about a frenzied frag frest, it's more about map control and trying to remain stacked while heading off the freshly spawned guy at the good weapons and pups.

2k4 1v1 just seems alot more boring to me after watching this...

THANK YOU! I feel the same way :lol:

ALG

Gallardo
Jul 26, 2005
WI, with the other pro gamers
Pain killer finals more exciting then 2k4? That fatal1ty-v0o game was about the most boring thing I have ever seen. It just depends on the players really. fatal1ty realizes fps are pretty defensive so he exploited that to great effect in the finals of PK.

Nunchuk_Skillz

May 18, 2005
Re: the PK finals, it seemed to me like when Fat wanted to run, he *really* had to run because there just seemed to be a lot more movement in the gametype in general, whereas in 2k4, it seemed like when they didn't want to engage, they could easily avoid each other and didn't move hardly at all.

I know it takes a ton of skill to control a map like that, but I still find it boring. I'd much rather seem them going at it more and having it be decided by who the best fragger is, not by who's the best at getting stacked and controlling the pups. On Ironic, for instance, once killu got stacked, it was basically over because he could easily control the pups at that point. That's why you saw Luxxiz trying those goop shots on Ironic, because a lucky goo shot was the only thing that could take killu out at that point and give him a chance to get control.

At least when I was watching PK and Q4, control seemed to swing back and forth more, primarily (I think) because the pups spawned faster, the weapons did more damage in relation to the strength of the armor and they were moving a lot more.

Keep in mind that I've only ever played UT & 2k4 seriously and never Quake (because I tried it and hated it, both as Q3 and as Q4). But right now I'm just talking about the 1v1 game type.

And of course, there's no way I'd suggest that CTF in either of those games would be faster than 2k4, but that's just how it seemed to me in 1v1.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
No, you're right Nun. The reasons why Quack dm is more fun is because things do respawn faster and it makes complete lockdown almost impossible for the average player. In the Unreal series, the respawn rate of weapons is rediculously long and once a person dies with a powerup, that powerup is gone and can't be collected by the fragger. I start off at the shock rifle get that, get all the other weapons, get all the adren and sheilds, come back to the shock and still have 5 seconds to spare on the respawn time. It's retarded and it makes Unreal 1v1 really boring imho.

ALG

Gallardo
Jul 26, 2005
WI, with the other pro gamers
JohnDoe641 said:
No, you're right Nun. The reasons why Quack dm is more fun is because things do respawn faster and it makes complete lockdown almost impossible for the average player. In the Unreal series, the respawn rate of weapons is rediculously long and once a person dies with a powerup, that powerup is gone and can't be collected by the fragger. I start off at the shock rifle get that, get all the other weapons, get all the adren and sheilds, come back to the shock and still have 5 seconds to spare on the respawn time. It's retarded and it makes Unreal 1v1 really boring imho.

Hey JD.

You must teach me your movement hacks. Also you also must stop playing 1v1 with adren because that makes a maplock even worse.