Goldeneye has been completed in DLTK (yes, even Silo!!!)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kerr Avon

Jan 22, 2008
This won't interest anyone who doesn't like Goldeneye on the N64 (or emulators), so if that's not you then you may as well click BACK on your browser, or go and look at some Doctor Who photographs, but if you are a fan of Goldeneye (second best first person shooter ever, IMHO) then you've probably heard of LTK mode, which is an extra-hard (we're talking Incredible Hulk with a nuclear machine gun type hard) game mode, invented to test the most skilled of players.

Goldeneye has been completed in LTK (License to Kill) mode, by several players (not me, sadly, I don't think I've completed one level in LTK), but the even harder DLTK (Dark License to Kill) mode was considered impossible on one level (Silo), so players had to be content to beat the game on DLTK on every level but Silo. But last week, someone actually managed to do it, completing every single player level of Goldeneye in Dark License to Kill mode!

For the uninitiated, when you complete Goldeneye on the hardest setting, you unlock a special mode called 007 Mode, which allows you to set the following options;

Enemy Health - 0% to 1000%
Enemy Damage - 0% to 1000%
Enemy Accuracy - 0% to 100%
Enemy Response Time - 0% to 100%

and so Goldeneye fans who wanted a more difficult challenge, invented License to Kill mode, where you set;

Enemy Health: 0%
Enemy Damage: 1000%
Enemy Accuracy: 100%
Enemy Reaction Time: 100%

which means that you and every enemy die with just the slightest hit (not 100% true, you can survive the tiniest encounter with the outer-edge of an explosion, but it's very iffy). Then, because there are people in the world who can beat the game with those settings (some players even speed-ran it!), Dark License to Kill was invented;

Enemy Health: 1000%
Enemy Damage: 1000%
Enemy Accuracy: 100%
Enemy Reaction Time: 100%

which is the same only the enemies take *lots* of hits to die. In superhero terms, this game mode is as hard as the Incredible Hulk with a nuclear machine gun, and him being backed up by Superman, Batman, Wolverine, and Spiderman.

And now we know it's possible to beat the game on DLTK, which makes you wonder what else GE experts will add in to the mix to make the game more difficult. Two cheats GE has come to mind; enemy shields, and enemy rockets, which give the enemies each a shield (absorbs hits) and arms them with a rocket launcher (makes them *much* tougher to face). You can bet someone's tried it :eek:

Source: http://www.the-elite.net/an-elite-milestone-of-biblical-proportions/

By the way, Perfect Dark also has the same two fan created game modes, and like Goldeneye, all levels are completable in LTK mode, but one level (Attack Ship) has not been completed in DLTK. Until now it was always thought impossible to complete in DLTK, but I bet now there will be people trying.

I know one thing, if it does prove to be completable, it won't be me who does it :(

The world record page for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark times in LTK and DLTK mode;

http://rankings.the-elite.net/goldeneye/ltk

http://rankings.the-elite.net/perfect-dark/ltk

Kerr Avon

Jan 22, 2008
Sorry. I just keep hearing about Goldeneye and nothing about PD which, IMHO, is superior to Goldeneye in almost EVERY way.

Oh,I agree. PD is my favourite game ever, and I think it's better than GE in almost every way (I do think that GE is more atmospheric, and maybe has overall better level design, plus GE doesn't have the painfully unfunny Elvis in it...).

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
GE level design was mostly old school A -> B, in the successor you find yourself going in mostly every places in the level.

On top of my head, Aztec, Surface and Bunker where the most objective oriented missions in the game that had you do that. 00agent Aztec was a fucking pain as a child, I remember you had to come back to an early part of the level after you killed Jaws because he detains a keycard which opens the room OR you need to read it in the casette thing all the while fighting limitless Laser guards that 3-4 shot you. There were more places you had to go in a specific order I believe as well.

Last edited: