What direction do you want the next UT game to go?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What would you like to see in the next UT game?

• Total voters

pinnacle

Jan 22, 2008
GoW - November 2006
UT3 - November 2007
GoW 2 - November 2008
UT3.5 - November 2009?

Anyway what would you like to see in the next UT game? Is UT3's lack of player numbers because the gameplay isn't enticing enough or because the game isn't polished? If UT3 were released out of the box with all the features/fixes of patches 1.1-1.4 would it really affect the player numbers?

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Not an easy question as I do like alittle of all of the above, I think the best answer would be an expansion but I would hope the next UT game is more then that. Perhaps thats where UT3 failed is it was an upgraded engine but the content was more like an expansion, there was alot of new stuff there but I really wish Epic had taken more time.

I know, that means I would have had to wait and with my hands on UE3 for modding right now Im glad I got it sooner rather than later so its really hard to not be alittle bit of a hypocrite at this point.

I like player classes with and without large-scale/vehicle combat and I like them with. I wouldnt mind alittle more focus on new gametypes, I mean gears 2 looks really good and I think alot of it is because it has new upgraded gametypes as well as more classic gametypes we've come to love for UT. Ofcoarse vehicles dont play a huge role in Gears MP, maybe they do now or Im not that well versed but even TF2 or I think COD4 dont contain vehicles. With that in mind maybe its time to take a step back from vehicle gametypes especially now since UT3 has a pretty full vehicle roster etc so from a more expansion type view it makes sense to just refine whats already there so it does alittle better perhaps.

The infantry modes I thought were pretty spot on but people might see those as samey since the gametypes are pretty stock standard. Again perhaps its time to take a step back and try something alittle new ontop of refining whats already there for UT3.

What I would most like to see is Epic pay more attention to social networking, achievements, maybe even perks but I would complain if they didnt go that way, theres certainly room for player classes especially in team based modes and its not like Epic is totally new when it comes to balancing that.

So I really dunno, all of the above? I just think Epic should try alittle more, the stock gametypes are tried and proven but when all the support stuff is subpar it can make it alittle difficult to love or hate a game. So yeah more community focus, mod browser inbuilt, auto-patching from within game and only for your local (no global) stuff like that which makes the experience alittle bit better. I honestly think thats were the most amount of work is needed for UT moving forward :cool:

dub

Feb 12, 2002
All weapons fire bullets. No bunny hopping. Classes. No instant respawns. Vehicles only. Airstrikes. No pick ups. One shot kills. Lots of realistic looking sniper rifles. Level Up system. Drop DM, 1on1 and CTF. Make everything look a lot more realistic. Monthly subscriptions.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
While none of those options really fitted the direction I would like to see the Unreal franchise go, I checked off large-scale combat and "expansion" pack.

I want to see a gold edition of UT3, with the MSUC winners and more bonus content from Epic included. I don't want to see a UT2003->UT2004 move.

Most importantly, for whatever iteration of Unreal follows, I want to see a completely new gametype. This is the largest complaint that I've heard about UT; nothing "new" in it. That's why I checked off the "Conquest" gameplay, but I would really like to see something more on the lines of a singleplayer mode that has Coop capability (perhaps really large coop).

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
  • Player classes, such as in Team Fortress - not going to happen
  • Large-scale combat, like the old description of Conquest - not going to happen as long as it will also have to scale to Xbox 360 and PS3. Not to mention, without tons of players it might not even be fun.
  • Get rid of vehicle gametypes and focus on old gametypes - that's the opposite of the direction in which they seem to be going.
  • Get rid of old gametypes and focus on vehicle gametypes - I can see them being minimalized, but not tossed aside entirely. Deathmatch is still a popular gametype in other franchises.
  • An 'expansion' to UT3 (like UT2k4 was to UT2k3) is enough for me - seems most likely.

ne_skaju

lost and found
Jan 21, 2008
Izvarino
I'd prefer if they divided vehicle-based gametypes and classic into two games, maybe even in different universes. I dont mind even if Unreal go for vehicle-based and they will make totally new fast-paced , non-vehicular action.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I'd go with the UT2003-to-UT2004 move. Or anything that would make UT3 better as Slainchild said.

Honestly I'm already happy with the game. The real reason of my vote is just because I'm tired to hear "UT is dead".

Last edited:

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Redefine Unreal Tournament,
1998 was years ago.

• Reloading your weapon
  • Faster Close Combat [hammer is way to slow]
  • Slow down a bit the movement speed to get a proper taste of Teamwork instead of individual running hyperactive chickens
  • New gameplay features that could make me go "wow, Unreal is way better than any other shooter" (not just all about guns )
  • More interactivity with the environment

I would also ask about a Singleplayer Campaign, but I think it will not happen due to Gears of War that is especially for that.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Lack of polish, IMO. Polish it til it almost shines and people will come back.

Flak

I am Gamer, hear me Pwn. RAWR
May 26, 2004
For the vehicle games, specifically VCTF, I would like to see less emphasis on the grapple and more room for passengers. I truly miss being able to have 3 or 4 people going into the enemy base and being able to leave the base with the flag in the vehicle. It really required a lot of teamwork and it was a hell of a lot of fun. Although I loved doing manta runs, I understand why people don't like it, so grapples should be reserved only for flying vehicles. I'd also like to see the grapple system revamped for better control. I hate being slammed down on the sidewalk. ;) 3-4 in a hellbender, 2 in a scorp would be perfect. I'd also like to see the hellbender sniping, 2k4 style, make a come back.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Player Classes? Unreal tournament? Que?

Let me be the first to disagree with anyone who's checking this option.

All weapons fire bullets. No bunny hopping. Classes. No instant respawns. Vehicles only. Airstrikes. No pick ups. One shot kills. Lots of realistic looking sniper rifles. Level Up system. Drop DM, 1on1 and CTF. Make everything look a lot more realistic. Monthly subscriptions.

dude were i cna get thsi gaem?

Last edited:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Reboot Time

Drop the UT series entirely and make Unreal 3.

UT came from Unreal, many people think it's lost it's way, the reception of UT3 has been downright frosty compared to UT or UT2004.

Once Unreal is back on top, then try to rebuild what UT once was. Right now, thrashing a dead horse won't make it run.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
You'd have to call it something else than "Unreal 3" otherwise people will get confused to death with UT3 and U3.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
  • From the creators of Unreal Tournament 3 and Gears of War!
  • Not Tournament Unreal, III
  • Dude, what's the name again? Scarj?
  • Epic Games's 3rd or-so serious game
  • Clifford worked on this one!
  • Aliens, but no Tournaments: 3
  • Mark promise you'll like it: 2

Oh and in case you didn't noticed my reply a while back, Neo, I think the chick in your avy is damn hot.

Last edited:

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
Whatever date a new UT or expansion comes, it should be 2 things:

1. actually ready.
2. not competing with another major release.

Here are the biggest things I'd like to see:

1. A campaign expansion:
The campaign continues as the tournament returns, Reaper learns that Malcolm is entering, and he says something like "and I'm gonna make sure it's for the last time.." Jester should come back as a necris and Reaper should be forced to fight her at some point.

2. Some maps based in arenas with cameras and maybe actual crowds (if this can be done without hurting performance).. bring the announcer in as a game character during each map/mission, and he has unique lines, introducing the competitors, objectives etc. We've always heard the announcer, but actually SEEing him would be quite neat if you ask me.

Here is a suggestion of what the campaign could be to give it a tournament feel and keep it interesting. Make it a mixture of a deathmatch ladder and assault/gladiator-like missions (sort of like trial maps). You start by playing an exhibition deathmatch to determine how the mission coming up will play out. If you lose, you get a handicap that makes the mission much more challenging. The deathmatches become increasingly difficult and so do the trial maps. Beating this will qualify you for the final ladder in which you have to play a series of DM matches with a twist - there are unpredictable obstacles that will pop up on occasion, or randomized scripted things that happen like a beast breaking into the arena, or the lights in certain corridors going out and randomly flickering so you have minimal visibility... all the pickups and portals get randomized - you get the picture. Stuff that DOESN'T happen in the maps in multiplayer because it is scripted but AFFECTS how the campaign plays out.

3. Character designs should try to create a bridge between UT3 and UT1. Instead of all the Necris being Borg clones, make some of them dressed more like street punks or something in between. Raw steel could be reintroduced, maybe a bit more armor but I think it would be cool to have a faction that is all about the old school, wearing surplus gear that looks all scratched up...

4. A Warfare expansion which fulfills some of the promises of Conquest but also corrects some of the things that was wrong with it. New maps should contain Assaultlike objectives, and to reiterate an earlier post of mine, Some maps play out like current WAR, some like ONS (no orb), some like AS, some like WAR + AS, some like ONS + AS.. AS objectives being built into the gametype will give community mappers more freedom to create the types of maps that people enjoy playing in pubs... standard ONS, AS + race and trial maps plus remakes of stuff like C&C bring in big numbers in pubs and this would accomodate them all in one base gametype..

5. A great solution to tying the floaty movement of 2k4 with the grounded movement of UT and UT3 - Introduce "Tarydium airboots" (you make up a better name, this is a concept) as standard equipment. They handle every job needed by switching between different modes, but the modes available depend on the type of tarydium energy cells available in the map or gametype. A blue or red (matched to team) anti grav glow eminates from the bottom of the boot or boosters on the sides, depending on the movement performed.

Mode 1 - Dodge jump: makes a mid air dodge boost available in Warfare and vCTF mode, for more flexible movement. Makes dodging mantas possible again.. basically makes the movement more similar to 2k4 - again, for Warfare and vCTF only.

Mode 2 - Jump boost: Functions like the jump boots. Available in any gametype, only when a tri-jump cell is picked up (3 boosts). Possesing the tri-jump cell saves you from damage during a fall as long as you have a remaining charge.

Mode 3 - Hover mode: replaces the functionality of the clunky, out of place and difficult to explain hoverboard. You can do everything you can with the hoverboard including tricks and being towed, and you are vulnerable only when using this mode, as you are on the hoverboard.

Mode 4 - double jump. In practice, this is merely a cosmetic explanation for the ability

6. Additionally, all the obvious UI changes etc.

That's my perfect UT3.5 in a nutshell.

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Somehow, Bersy, I already had the thought of Jester coming back as a Necris and Malcolm getting reinstated into the Tournament. Good call on those.

As for the Tarydium Airboots, the name sounds too Canadian for me. They should be simply titled "JetBoots." I would envision the Boots as being propelled by jets in lieu of rockets like the current JumpBoots. That way, it would explain the extended flight time and provide greater speed control and movement.

Other than that, your ideas are spot on. Except for number 6. Do NOT call it UT3.5. Worst name and idea...ever. I prefer Unreal Tournament Reloaded, or something to that effect.

And bring back Xan and that effing clown dude.