Unreal Tournament 2015?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
F($k the ps4. It's not unreal tournament if it's not on the PC. Why they'd even consider going to a console after what happened last time is beyond me.

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
Isn't this just a first exposition bias in most cases?

Pretty much. I started with UT99 and while 2k4 was fun, the whole movement style and map/player size ratio just felt awkward. Plus, you felt like a fairy floating around everywhere and only hitscan weapons were effective in the competitive scene. UT3 was a bit more enjoyable, but would be much better if the default gravity was not too intense, the game felt more fast-paced and they kept the dodge ramps.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Isn't this just a first exposition bias in most cases? I was exposed to UT2004 first, so I got bitten by the crazy movement style, and that's one major reason why UT3/UTGoW fell flat on its bad user interface for me.
No, I think you can be objective about it. The movement itself in UT2004 was fun, but the gameplay balance was absolutely horrid. UT2003 has better gameplay balance than UT2004 primarily because the movement and weapon balance were considered together and in UT2004 the goal was to fix them which resulted in screwing them up even more.

UT3 had much more logistical issues than gameplay. Almost everyone I've ever talked to loved the gameplay but couldn't get over the fuzzy graphics, poor performance, crap interface and missing functionality.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Started in UT, but didn't have net at the time so I'd lost interest until 2k3 came out and got hooked, 2k4 comes, got hooked on that. Still want to reinstall 2k4 on occasion
UT3, ya... dafuq

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Isn't this just a first exposition bias in most cases? I was exposed to UT2004 first, so I got bitten by the crazy movement style, and that's one major reason why UT3/UTGoW fell flat on its bad user interface for me.

I started with UT2004. I can see pretty clearly how it's flawed and when playing at a suitable level, half of the inventory suddenly becomes redundant. The movement in that game rendered certain weapons close to useless.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
no-marketing.jpg

Imagine this is UT2004 and then UT3. Someone is trying to blow your brains out, and you need to get to the end of the road.

What would be to be fastest method of getting there?

Answer. Not running

That's the problem with UT2004 and UT3. UT2004 was just a worse offender.

I made a small mutator for myself that kinda solved this problem, I combined the two movements together, but instead of being able to mindlessly dodge jump mindlessly everywhere, even a open road; I made it so that you could only do it off of walls.

This means in order to reach the end of the "open" road in the fastest way possible, you had to run and evaluate the risk vs reward of using the environment to your advantage in order to get to the end of the road quicker.

Dodge Jumping off walls is more dangerous, because a rocket that missed you might just explode behind you and kill you anyways. It creates a better balance between hitscan and projectile. But most importantly it grants you an option simply not available in UT3 vanilla.

the dodge and dodgez values in UT3 just felt much better, it was a lot easier to dodge forward with ax2 and dx2 without stopping and losing momentum.

edit: I believe though I kept UT2004's jump and double jump.
The problem here as I see is, what percentage of max height should each jump give the player?

First Jump: 50%
Second Jump: 50%

Forcing players to constantly double jump to reach platforms.

Or should it be more like
First Jump: 90%
Second Jump: 10%

Where the second jump just essentially extends your airtime, at max height.
Which instead of forcing the player to constantly do it, allows them to do it when they think the situation calls for it.

Last edited:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Anyone wanting to release a new UT would have to do something pretty amazing apart from new tech making it look pretty. An open world type arena system might work but then they may end up lampooning Rage... which was o.k. but not great.

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
Imagine this is UT2004 and then UT3. Someone is trying to blow your brains out, and you need to get to the end of the road.

What would be to be fastest method of getting there?

Answer. Not running
There have been suggestions of adding a stamina meter to dodging. It could also cover double jumps.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
UT NEEDS STAMINA, LEVELING AND V.A.T.S. BECAUSE SHOOTING IN THIS GAME IS TOO HARD, PEOPLE RUN ALL OVER THE PLACE AND THERE'S NO WAY TO GANK BETTER PLAYERS THAN ME.

Said no one ever.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
UT NEEDS STAMINA, LEVELING AND V.A.T.S. BECAUSE SHOOTING IN THIS GAME IS TOO HARD, PEOPLE RUN ALL OVER THE PLACE AND THERE'S NO WAY TO GANK BETTER PLAYERS THAN ME.

Said no one ever.
What are V.A.T.s? (oh nevermind, it's the fallout 3 thing)
Either way, stamina-like system is a good idea, but not the "modern fps" way. In the original Unreal, some pre-release versions had stamina implemented that didn't limit the game enjoyment and was only used when using special fast move. Unreal 2 XMP has the sprinting which drains your suit "stamina" a bit, but it does not slow down normal running and does not affect dodging. I think doing it that way is actually very sensible. What COD like games do is make it extremely boring and limiting for the player movement and the overrealism gets in the way. If stamina, it should be implemented right, just like those two examples I listed which come from the series "history" anyway.

Speaking of history....
DESCRIBING UT2015:
BEING GAME BASED ON HISTORY, THE STAGES OF THE GAME WILL FEATURE BATTLES WHICH TOOK ACTUALLY TOOK PLACE IN ANCIENT PREMAKA.

SO HERE'S THIS GIANT ENEMY MALCOLM.....WHAT I'LL DO IS USE REDEEMER TO FLIP OVER THIS MALCOLM ON HIS BACK, AND ATTACK ITS **** FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE.

Last edited: