UT-Files down

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Account has been suspended.

Shit NO since it is one of the best (and one of the few) Unreal file storages around. I can't send messages to Skillz in any way so posting here to ask what's up.

I really don't want that website to disappear forever.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Sigh, but I can see why. Another place down :\
How many are left now?

Last edited:

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Very unfortunate if true. Has anyone mirrored ut-files.com contents somewhere or maybe it's possible to create torrent of that?

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
Why do people insist on using stupid limiting torrents?
Most of us already have most of what we want, and torrents generally take extra space.
It will not help, as who will seed a giant file forever?
Torrents do not encourage sharing.
It is a limited distribution system not a sharing system

eg. You don't need a torrent to browse the entire Mapraider archives via normal p2p
It is just a shared folder (like a normal network share).
Any file you want, can then be fetched from multiple sources (similar to torrent, but from anywhere.) I even share my Fonts folder !
eg. Magnet.png This is me combining a DL from Medor and Mapraider. This bypasses Medor's slow download issue, spreads the bandwidth, and gives me faster DLs. :D
You can add as many direct web DLs as you want, but 2 was fast enough.

If UT-Files was available as a shared folder, people could DL as little or as much as they want.

All the files on UT-Files are distributed amongst us already.
They are not gone. It's just that you don't share them.

Mapraider is bomb-proof
If Mapraider had to save money, the downloads from the site can be removed, but all the links would still work as long as files can be seen in shared folders., and the mirrors exist The site structure is easily hosted and users can add more mirrors if they go down.
Even if Mapraider is completely gone, you can go to the Web Archive and still use every link to get files.

Mapraider has a "Plan-B" running at the same time as "Plan-A" and "Plan-C". It is automated and has mirroring and a redundancy factor built-in, with users able to add mirrors.
Would have been nice if "Beyond Unreal" had done this, as ALL the downloads would still work.

If FreakinMeany gets hold of the UT-Files archive, you will never have to worry about it disappearing.
Hypothetical Disaster
ForumMember: "Oh no! a nasty hacker has deleted Mapraider and all the files!"
FreakinMeany: "No they haven't, they only deleted 1 mirror and the html"
FreakinMeany: "Gimme 5 minutes and I'll put the site back. I'll copy all the files back tomorrow, I'm busy."
ForumMember: "Oh, but I need some files now :("
FreakinMeany: "They are all still available in a multitude of options. Click, download, be happy".

Times are changing, sites are changing.
We have to not just react but be pro-active, and change the way we make sites, so they are also a hub to the files, not just a storage facility.
Forward-planning is all we have to do. We have the free technology at our fingertips.

mARZ

Aug 15, 2009
Damn, sad to hear about ut-files.

Such a large and fantastic source. If it's gone for good it will definately be missed... :(

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Oh great. ANOTHER awesome site shut down without any prior warning.

"Whoopsy! Sorry guise but I'm not doing this anymore. Find your own crap. LOL"
*shuts down ENTIRE site*

proble10.jpg

Please understand. I'm not ticked off at him just because he shut it down but that he did so without telling anyone first so they could secure backups.

Last edited:

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Oh great. ANOTHER awesome site shut down without any prior warning.

"Whoopsy! Sorry guise but I'm not doing this anymore. Find your own crap. LOL"
*shuts down ENTIRE site*

proble10.jpg

Please understand. I'm not ticked off at him just because he shut it down but that he did so without telling anyone first so they could secure backups.

I'm also pretty sure Skillz wasn't obligated to tell anyone. He owned it. How dare he shut down something he owned and didn't tell anyone! :rolleyes:

You should've backed it up when the site was still up if you wanted backups so badly. You should also know these sites for a dead game won't last forever. And if for some reason you think they will, take a look at the title of this thread.

Last edited:

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
A couple of things, and I mean absolutely no disrespect towards Skillz. We had our problems personally but he did far more for UT than I or most all of us here ever will.

First, you assume responsibility once you self-designate as 'caretaker' and ask people to send you their files. Part of that responsibility is ensuring they are shared if you decide not to continue on. Yes, it's certainly his right to spend his money as he sees fit but it's another matter to gather everything from everyone and then (without warning) take it all offline.

A little less than a year ago I had a conversation with Skillz at UA. I asked him for permission to site rip UT-Files and I wanted to know when I could do it and not affect his peak times. I had a feeling he was almost done and I didn't want to lose the things he had, since much of it existed only there. Anyway his answer was he would not help me and within a day he configured the site to resist site ripping. It's my own fault because I began a rip two days previous to that but felt uncomfortable because I didn't want to burn up a chunk of his BW without permission and so that's why I asked. I should have just kept my mouth shut and went ahead with things.

Now, you can rest assured these files will not be shared by him. I've already offered to NewEgg an HDD to his house with money for his time if he will just copy the files and let me share them. I've proven I'll share everything I get somehow (All UT skins torrent, My old siterips collection, the humongous mappack torrent, etc) and this would be no different. He hasn't answered me and the reason why is that it would end his relevancy to UT if someone else had his collection. No, he's going to keep it and sadly UT will suffer badly for it.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
You got the point gopostal, especially if you offered him to compensate his effort to send the contents. It's relatively easy task to do and valuable from the UT commmunity standpoint. Refusal without understandable explanation would be just selfish.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Medor - is that the entire contents of the website? If so, do hang on to it and we'll sort something out as so I can obtain a proper backup myself. I don't want to see that amount of content simply disappear D:

I'm not ticked off at him just because he shut it down but that he did so without telling anyone first so they could secure backups.

He probably did it so that he wouldn't have to pay for the cost of all the bandwidth as people rushed to grab stuff.

medor

Mar 15, 2009
Whether the story is accurate.
I do not have a copy of ut-files

I have this since 2008-Oct-21 (so before Skillz takes ut-files)

ut-files Skillz have 87 gigas before the last upadte.
This update come frome my utfiles.
I do not blame here. it was me who asked to take in my home for safety.

My utfiles is not a rival but it is more updated as you can see i have 1200 tread update here. http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/forum/viewforum.php?f=51

My work have very few duplicates unlike ut-files Skillz.
This is not a competition size but my ut-files take 110 gigas against 87 Skillz.

Last edited: