Climbing

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
Leaping is fine for obstacles below waist height that can't be simply stepped over. (ditch, creek, etc)

Climbing is good for anything above waist height. (fence, ledge, ladder, etc)

But for things about waist height you need something that is not quiet a leap, jump, or a climb... it is a hurdle.

Basically for a fence or similar object about waist height, you run at it and place the left hand ontop of it while swinging the legs over.
This was done in Killzone and was pretty cool except you could only do the move in several pre-defined areas.

jayhova

Don't hate me because I'm pretty
Feb 19, 2002
Houston Texas
www.flex.net
When I said that it was easy, I meant in the use sense. It is intuitive. When you are going to jump a long distance you prepare yourself mentally and physically to do it. You wind up for it and put effort into it. You don't just hop around the same height all the time. It is my assumption that it is possible to change the jump height based on time the jump button is held in the same way grenade throwing is done. I don't know how it would be done or how hard it would be to do it I just presume that it could be done.

randomas

May 24, 2001
Visit site
But wouldn't it require climbable surfaces painted on the maps anyway? Isn't it easier to make to new maps or modify old ones adding more "ladder surfaces"?

jayhova

Feb 19, 2002
Houston Texas
www.flex.net
Not with the method I propose. Anything you can jump up on to you could climb. With my method what would happen is essentially you would walkup to an object and bump into it while holding the space bar. Now that I think about it what could be done is a steady increase in stepheight until the object could be crossed. Depending on the height of the obsticle the result might vary. If the obsticle was lower than say mid thigh height all that would be required is a big step and pressing the space bar (the jump key) would get you over it. If the object was somewhat higher the INF soldier would have to crawl a bit i.e. use his hands to get over or on top of the obstecle and so there would be a small delay and he would then appear on top of the obstecle in the crouched postion. If the obsticle was chest height the soldier would have to pull himself up by his hands so there would be a longer delay and he would appear atop the object in the prone position. Fences and the like could be handled by calculating the depth of the obstecle and then having the soldier breifly appear atop the fence, etc. in the prone postition 90 degrees to his original facing (so he is lined up with the fence) and then standing on the other side.

Any comments?

Scarecrow

Apr 22, 2011
Also when you climb a ladder you should have to sling your weapon over your shoulder while you are climbing up or down. You can't hold a weapon in both your hands and climb at the same time in real life can you?

All these things would be great to see in a mutator.

jayhova

Feb 19, 2002
Houston Texas
www.flex.net
Since there has already been a mutator to prove the concept, I think we should implement a climbing mutator that operates within reason. A soldier can easily vault a wall of 2 meters (that's 7' for us Americans). Essentially vaulting would be a sort of assisted jump followed by a prone position on top of the object in question followed by a slight move forward (this is to keep people from walking on top of cyclone fences). If the player falls off the top he goes upright else he stays prone. This would have to be done with the weapon slung. This would be initiated by holding the space bar. Letting go the space bar before going prone would let you fall back on the original side of the wall. This would be necessary if someone was there about to shoot you.

The other component of this would be a step height mutator to increase the step height based on your move speed. For instance you could easily step 30" while walking and 48" while jogging or running. This again would be initiated by hold down the space bar. The idea here is that you could quite easily jump up into say a loading dock with just a big step and still hold on to your weapon.