OpenGL produces slow ping, but D3D ok

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Trinition

Dec 16, 1999
Visit site
OpenGL ruined my internet performance in UT (Unreal Tournament)

I have an ATI All-in-Wonder 128 AGP 2x with 16MB of RAM, on a Pentium III 450 with 64MB of RAM. I use Windows 98 SE with ATI drivers stamped with these versions:

Build 06.30 CDH37B
Desktop 4.11.2442
Driver 4.11.6713

Well, I had been playing Unreal Tournament in Direct3D mode at 640x480x16bit. I figured I didn't want to push my poor system too hard.
But last night I got adventerous and started playing around. I pushed it all the way up to 1024x768x32bit color in OpenGL!!! It played fantasticly, but slightly jerky. So I backed off to 800x600x32bit OpenGL and it was
perfect. I played some practice sessions with 5 bots (to make 6 players total including me). I did notice that the startup and level caching took slightly longer.

Things worked SO well that I decided to try it online. So I started finding some CTF levels with bings from 75-150 (my usual range). I started up (with a loger delay for caching) and began to run around. Hmmm, that's odd. No players to be seen running around. No messages popping up. I hit F1 to
make sure the players were still there, and there were a total of 10. Why couldn't I see any. Then I noticed my live ping...

30,000+ ms!!!!

My usual in-game ping goes from 75-300ms, and now its a whole 30 seconds?!?! No wonder I was not able to interact with the rest of the players.

Well, I switched back to Direct3D (but kept it at 800x600x32bit) and tried the same server. Everything worked beautifully.

Aparently, there is something with my OpenGL driver paired with UT which makes the game ping extremely slow. About 200 times slower. What gives?

Any ideas?