ut99 maps?????

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Argus

Spack Jazzrabbit
Feb 13, 2008
Scotland
Is there, or will there be, a Hyperblast for UT3?

It has always been one of my very favourite maps.

Apr 11, 2006
you call meshes clutter? do they get in your way? if thats what your thinking, then you know nothing about making maps and you are an idiot for saying such a thing. I say this because you can make a high poly detailed wall, and simple set it to block weapons only then put a flat blocking volume along the wall (think of this as your flat bsp wall that you all love so much), this way the player does not get stuck on anything, and the player can run up against the wall and glide across it.. I dont have a single bsp wall showing on my map, I put a mesh on every face and dis a smooth collision over it. so "clutter" you call it.. lol it makes me laugh that you think this. hmm i shall restrain from saying any more

It's not necessarily about whether meshes are getting in your way.

Lots of detail can be irritating because it is distracting, makes your opponent blend into the background, covers up obvious paths or suggests paths that should exist but don't.

A UT3 map might be related to say a power metal band. Lots of audio elements all competing for your attention, with huge amounts of technical proficiency on display. A UT99 map on the other hand, might just be your standard fare rock band, but you can hear all the instruments pretty well and they might even have a bit more range of style because they're not intent on drumming at 120bpm with virtuoso guitar work going on all the time.

Neither's necessarily better than the other.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
I guess what i mean by quality it high polly detail, not flat walls and blocky rooms.

No offence to the makers, I a fussy fussy person, small things can put me off a level, and I expect a high standard as i did with the previous generations (but people still managed to provide great maps)
I didnt like Krodan because the detail of the textures were not that flash, otherwise everything else was nice!

Dm-conveyor - I guess once you make a map and know how a map is made, when i look at his screen shots and see sh*ty mesh placement (or lack of) im not going to be downloading it. also the texture choise and alignment is bad.. ill wait for a real map thanks, if anyone can release one..

reply to others:
you call meshes clutter? do they get in your way? if thats what your thinking, then you know nothing about making maps and you are an idiot for saying such a thing. I say this because you can make a high poly detailed wall, and simple set it to block weapons only then put a flat blocking volume along the wall (think of this as your flat bsp wall that you all love so much), this way the player does not get stuck on anything, and the player can run up against the wall and glide across it.. I dont have a single bsp wall showing on my map, I put a mesh on every face and dis a smooth collision over it. so "clutter" you call it.. lol it makes me laugh that you think this. hmm i shall restrain from saying any more

Not calling a level quality based on it's primary function - gameplay - is something really quite illogical. But I guess that's not fair to say, seeing as you've only remade 1 level without any real design input of your own.

And yes, clutter is what it usually is, not defined as per how many polys I can throw into a level to make it look slick but as in form over function. If you make highest possible poly the only description of quality then I can only laugh at that. I shall, in turn, restrain from saying more as well.

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
hmmm o well i don't get you guys, sure its not just about detail, Iv downloaded great looking maps and removed then just coz of crap layout... but a map still has to look good in my eyes. O well.

its so weard, seeing people bitch over crisis v UE3 then play basic low visual detail maps... why even play next gen game, when you could be playing Ut1, what does Ut3 give you?? apart from better lighting on the blocky maps?

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
i think that there has to be a limit on how much eye candy you should be putting into your level, the technology is there for you to use properly, not to use too much of... i really dont like having the players blend into the background, and i actually play ut3 better at really low detail settings because i can see and aim better and it has nothing to do with frame rate since at the highest graphical settings its already running above 60fps most of the time, but the graphics at the low settings are just too painful to look at so i turned it back up

Last edited: