Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Daybreakers-4.5/10

Seeing this film made me realise why I am so over the whole modern vampire shtick.

While the way they put the concept together was actually quiet clever the end result was a thin plot which ended up being entirely predictable, no subtext to speak of and a lot of gratuitous visuals that looked like they wanted to remake all of the Matrix inside a blood bank.

I would have been better off re-watching 30 Days of Night and that was reasonably average. Boring........

not sure if I posted, but I actually watched that "Johna Hex" movie. I'm so sorry that I did. It is a horrible horrible movie. "etc etc etc, everyone said it sucked" yeah, but I honestly didn't think a movie could be this bad. I felt my body just crawling to go do something else, but I stuck with it, as I do with every movie.

In contrast: Johna Hex was worse than Twilight, but better than that ****ty band Finger 11.

DO NOT WATCH! RiffTrax wouldn't even do this film

-999999/10

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Should just watch Let Me In, as it's still in the theater methinks. Or you could pick up the Swedish version.

Haven't seen either the film versions but I'm in the middle of reading the book and it is very good. Much better written/translated than the current Swedish vogue of the Millennium trilogy. So far, highly recommended (but I reserve the right to change my mind in the event of a rubbish ending:))

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
Buried 6-7/10
If you've heard of the movie then you've heard of the "gimmick", the whole movie takes place in a small wooden coffin, so it puts a lot of strain on Ryan Reynolds who's kind of a mediocre actor. But if you don't mind the less than stellar acting and a couple of cheap tricks you should check out this movie it is surprisingly entertaining for a movie that takes place entirely in a coffin and it looks great.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
If you want to see a classic that takes place mostly in one room (there's one bit in another room, but yeh - close enough), watch Hitchcock's "Rope". Farley Granger and James Stewart at their best. A lot of movies that are adapted from a play will fit the one location criteria though. Tennessee Williams' plays ("A Streetcar Named Desire", "Suddenly, Last Summer") come to mind immediately.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
not sure if I posted, but I actually watched that "Johna Hex" movie. I'm so sorry that I did. It is a horrible horrible movie. "etc etc etc, everyone said it sucked" yeah, but I honestly didn't think a movie could be this bad. I felt my body just crawling to go do something else, but I stuck with it, as I do with every movie.

In contrast: Johna Hex was worse than Twilight, but better than that ****ty band Finger 11.

DO NOT WATCH! RiffTrax wouldn't even do this film

-999999/10
Thanks for the warning. I saw the trailers and it looked interesting. From what you say it's probably worth avoiding.

Calendar Girls-8/10

Based loosely on real life this film was a pleasant surprise. I didn't think it would be the film for me but it went way beyond what I was expecting.

A film with definite heart and soul.

Helen Mirren rules!:D

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Pandorum-5/10

An average sci-fi thriller based on a space ship. The script seemed a bit confused to me and the direction had this type of edgy feel which worked up until the point when it became overused.

At least it did have atmosphere and did give the big ship they were on some character....

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Pandorum-5/10

An average sci-fi thriller based on a space ship. The script seemed a bit confused to me and the direction had this type of edgy feel which worked up until the point when it became overused.

At least it did have atmosphere and did give the big ship they were on some character....

I think Pandorum started out fine, though. There are these real intense moments, but they're mainly in the first block of the movie.
The whole paranoia sequence was chilling. And as far as the ending goes: I didn't really surprise me that much that they had already landed on the planet, but on the other hand they could've just been floating in space....

At least it didn't turn out to suffer from the same disappointment Sunshine suffered from. What a shame. That movie started out great, until they reach the first icarus vessel.

I think Pandorum started out fine, though. There are these real intense moments, but they're mainly in the first block of the movie.
The whole paranoia sequence was chilling. And as far as the ending goes: I didn't really surprise me that much that they had already landed on the planet, but on the other hand they could've just been floating in space....

At least it didn't turn out to suffer from the same disappointment Sunshine suffered from. What a shame. That movie started out great, until they reach the first icarus vessel.

My view of Pandorum was similar. I was into it in the first 10 to 15 minutes, but the movie quickly dissolved into one of those "Attack of the Fast Edit Cuts" brand of horror films, which I tire of quickly. Basically, once he falls out of the vent and starts walking around in the ship then it was a very by the numbers starship action/horror, just that the production values were pretty high compared to most.

I will agree that the film was no better or worse than Sunshine, although Sunshine had a better score.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
My view of Pandorum was similar. I was into it in the first 10 to 15 minutes, but the movie quickly dissolved into one of those "Attack of the Fast Edit Cuts" brand of horror films, which I tire of quickly. Basically, once he falls out of the vent and starts walking around in the ship then it was a very by the numbers starship action/horror, just that the production values were pretty high compared to most.

I will agree that the film was no better or worse than Sunshine, although Sunshine had a better score.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. It started out really well even had elements of Pitch Black in it and definitely Sunshine but yes it dissolved into a less than impressive effort. The production values were pretty good and the film did have some atmosphere..

I just wish movie makers wouldn't define paranoia and tension by having people whisper all the time. Unless you have a really good sound system with great level adjustment (or compression) some of the dialogue tends to get buried/lost in the playback.

A film that does paranoia pretty well is Cube and it appears to me that they were trying to lift some of the edgy tension and atmosphere from that book.

Terminator Salvation: The Machinima Series-7/10

While not strictly a feature film this professionally developed machinima was pretty good for what it was. Made up of six short individual episodes it managed to keep the story from bogging down by using the timing of each episode pretty well.

It looked very good and looked like it had some decent cash put into the production. Production values on the audio; sound effects and narration, were excellent.

Last edited: