UT "Envy" --> XMP 2?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iddQd

Yours truly
Dec 26, 2001
Sweden
Well im just writing up a little rant here. I can't help but feeling that alot of perspects from XMP might go into the next UT installment. I don't know why but I have this feeling. First of they added a booster to the what looks like a Raptor, which instantly would make it a faster vehicle and more XMP like. Secondly, have you seen some of the imgs? Take this one as an example.

nv_hi_5.jpg

Ranger, Tech, Gunner.

See it? :)

It feels like there are possibilities here. Not to forget FMI but this game isn't coming until next year, that's a still a long way and I sure hope FMI has made a better UTXMP than it is right now til then.

Bleeder

Co-Founder, U2XMP [Ч] Clan
Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
Yeah, there are definitely similarities there.

This is why I still ask, who ownz teh rights to the name 'XMP' beyond UT:XMP? I'm just wondering, cuz if FMI doesn't have dibs, someone else 'may' be interested in dev'ing for UE3...

Last edited:

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
FMI wouldn't own the rights to the XMP name. Epic owns all the assets to the Unreal Franchise. I'm pretty confident that we'll never see a direct XMP port to another unreal game by Epic.

If someone were to develop XMP for UE3, there is nothing legally stopping them. porting it for for UE3 would probably benefit from having a UT2k4 port to play until 2006/7. ;)

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
yes, Xaero, very true... a ut2k4 port of xmp will definately help anyone wanting to port it to ut 2006/2007... most code will port over, but the whole thing will need overhaul on graphics.

Spacelord (GER)

Apocalypse Dude
Feb 12, 2004
Germany
Maybe, maybe not.
Perhaps they`ve just taken all the good ideas of xmp to make a crappy ut2kx mod out of it.
These three classes are just the basics of nearly every team shooter - a fast sniper, a medic or tech and a slow heavy weapon guy....I think it's nothing.

XMP was Unreal not Unreal Tournament and I pray that XMP 2 will be based on Unreal 3! :mad: One UT-based XMP is enough (no offense to fmi though).

iddQd

Yours truly
Dec 26, 2001
Sweden
Spacelord (GER) said:
Maybe, maybe not.
Perhaps they`ve just taken all the good ideas of xmp to make a crappy ut2kx mod out of it.
These three classes are just the basics of nearly every team shooter - a fast sniper, a medic or tech and a slow heavy weapon guy....I think it's nothing.

XMP was Unreal not Unreal Tournament and I pray that XMP 2 will be based on Unreal 3! :mad: One UT-based XMP is enough (no offense to fmi though).

Well when I started the topic out I didn't exacly mean that ut envy will be like XMP. I more ment that by looking at the art avalible you can clearly see that Epic is going for a UT game with more armor, more tech, more guns. To me it feels like it could be possible to create a simple mutator and you'd have your XMP gametype. Although to claim the exact quality that u2xmp has it would need a leet dev team.

If I won one billion dollars I would rehire Legend Ent and make them either create XMP 2 built on the ued3, or talk with epic about making an official mod :D

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
I'm kinda curious what he means by "make them". iddQd, can I be one of your thugs?
*cracks whip* "Get to work Legend! You lazy bastards!" *cracks whip*

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
Spacelord (GER) said:
I pray that XMP 2 will be based on Unreal 3! :mad: One UT-based XMP is enough (no offense to fmi though).

Like I said before, Its highly unlikely 'XMP 2' will ever be made by Epic. The only way its ever going to happen is if a mod team (such as FMI) creates a hugely successful TC, and even then they aren't likely to 'integrate' it as a standard gametype.

iddQd

Yours truly
Dec 26, 2001
Sweden
Haha well if I would buy Legend Ent and ressurect them I would for sure make them develope XMP 2

Xaero said:
Like I said before, Its highly unlikely 'XMP 2' will ever be made by Epic.

True, but it's a nice thought :)

Bleeder

Co-Founder, U2XMP [Ч] Clan
Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
So, Xaero, since you seem up on this... maybe you know...
Aren't "XMP" and "Expanded MultiPlayer" trademarked, and all the artwork and everything under some sort of license agreement? I thought FMI had to get permission from Epic to use all that stuff for UT:XMP. If not, then you're right... anyone could make an XMP game. But somehow I think there are licensing/rights issues involved.

Btw, yeah, Legend Entertainment should go talk to the new publishers (Midway) for Epic. Atardi majorly sukt azz, but Midway is a halfway decent company and I have a feeling that if all the ex-Legend people got together and presented something to Midway, there could be some magic in the air...

Scott, you reading this?!?

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Bleeder said:
So, Xaero, since you seem up on this... maybe you know...
Aren't "XMP" and "Expanded MultiPlayer" trademarked, and all the artwork and everything under some sort of license agreement? I thought FMI had to get permission from Epic to use all that stuff for UT:XMP. If not, then you're right... anyone could make an XMP game. But somehow I think there are licensing/rights issues involved.

Btw, yeah, Legend Entertainment should go talk to the new publishers (Midway) for Epic. Atardi majorly sukt azz, but Midway is a halfway decent company and I have a feeling that if all the ex-Legend people got together and presented something to Midway, there could be some magic in the air...
Steve Polge wrote an email that any assets from any Unreal game were legal to be ported into UT2004. There is no information if the same will hold true for the next installment, as we had been being told that it would be illegal to include XMP assets in UT2004 at first.

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
I don't know if FMI has any sort of special license agreement worked out. Thats something best directed at them.

I wonder how hard it would be to bribe Scott away from Valve....

iddQd

Yours truly
Dec 26, 2001
Sweden
Hmm yeh I heard some Legend guy ended up at Electronic Arts, working on the Sims. Now that's bad.

Spacelord (GER)

Apocalypse Dude
Feb 12, 2004
Germany
The Jackal-XMP said:
they went all over the place. Some went to Valve (the cars!) and some went to Seattel for something. There is no way LE will ever be again, as sad as it is thou. :(. Im gonna start learning how to do uscript here pretty soon, and well, by then, who knows what will happen.

Even a way of 1000 miles starts with the first step (Japanese proverb) :rolleyes:
You still got 2 years, maybe more ...

As long as I get 'my' XMP2 on Unreal 3 - so keep moving! :mad:

;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.