Unofficial technical weapon question forum.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Meplat

Chock full-o-useless information
Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
There was (and is) a magazine for the G98, issued during WW1, to give the rifle 25 rounds instead of the usual 5. It is detachable in the technical sense, but was intended to be left in place. Reproductions are floating about. A similar device was made for the M1903. Changeover was simple, requiring only the point of a bullet to disengage the magazine floorplate.

I knew an individual of questionable sanity who managed to fit (using the term loosely) a BREN mag to his tomato stake No5Mk1. Looked like he'd braized the body of a BREN mag to the top of the SMLE's mag. Why he wanted a 30 round SMLE I did not know. It lookded hideous.

Meplat-

Meplat

Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Geogob- thirty rounds. I just bought surplus No4Mk1 mags, and kept those loaded. Much easier than fussing with chargers.One actually can get a hellacious rate of fire with a well slicked SMLE, and a pile of loaded mags nearby. I still need to score some extras for my old No1MkIII though.

Meplat-

Panzer101

Know your enemy...
Jul 16, 2002
UK
Visit site
When I was in the UK War Museum in London, there was an MP44 modified for stalingrad where the barrel was bent down and there were normal iron sights but with a mirror at the bend showing the final sights at the end of the barrel. It was really wierd and I was surprised it worked - what are the implications of having a bent barrel?

UncleOsmov

The beauty of AWD!
Mar 20, 2002
Chicaaago
I know from paintballing that a bent barrel creates a spin that will allow you to shoot over an obsticle and have the paintball hit on the other side. Maybe a simillar reason in Stalingrad?

Panzer101

Know your enemy...
Jul 16, 2002
UK
Visit site
Hmmmm I dont think so Osmov, not in this case - the barrel was almost at a 90 degree bend down, and I remember a photo of this German soldier using it out a window to target people on the ground without exposing himself, clever but i dont think it was that useful. Never knew that was allowed in paintballing thought hehe

Spier

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
It was called "Krummerlauf", or something like that. From what I've read it didn't even get issued. No loss, since it could only fire a few hundred rounds before it broke.

Meplat

Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Krummlauf- Two theories have been fielded. One, was to provide a means to test fire in a very short distance (Not likely) the other, was to allow a weapon for armor crews to "clean off" annoying infantrymen (more likely). Using the 7.92X33 would make sense, as it is a compact, reasonably powerful weapon, yet not as clunky in the confines of an armored vehicle as the '98 would be.

Meplat-

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
So is the Krummlauf anything like the Kalashnikov KA174?
http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/models/ka174.html
1741.gif

Meplat

Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Zundfolge- *Laughs* never seen that one. God, is that a jacked up looking piece.

Judging by the silly stock, and what looks like a mount or a manipulation handle, probably.

Meplat-

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
I'll see that and raise you a trench-friendly MG42.

(Sorry about the pic. No scanner)

Attachments

• MG42.jpg
    MG42.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 96

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
Why would you want to replace the PSO-1?

It's fantastic. Hell, I'm looking into getting one mounted on a Nagant Sniper. If I can do that, I'm buying that instead of the infantry version.

I only know of one other scope that the russians use in any sort of numbers. It's sort of like a russian SUIT. It's called the 1P29, and you've seen it a million times. There's also the Cobra, of course, but that's not really a scope. If any scope is being phased out, this would probably be the one. It's old and clunky. Gets the job done, but there's better options now.

Well, now you've seen it a million and one times;

AK_1P29_scope_A.jpg

Last edited:

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
Here's a question...How much damage do conventional rifle rounds (read: not .50 BMG) to surounding environments. Obviously, they will go through dry wall and wood, but what else? If someone is behind a thin stone or brick wall will a GPMG reach to the other side eventually? I guess another way to put it is if Inf was on a geo mod engine like Red Faction 2, how much impact would it have on gameplay with regard to wearing down terain with bullets or 40mm grenades.

5eleven

I don't give a f**k, call the Chaplain
Mar 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
Without getting into the how's and why's, here's the deal.

M16A1 conversion: Remember, A1 trigger group (lower receiver) fitted with an M4 upper receiver, barrel, and M4 collapsible stock.

Conversion done by a gunsmith, but for lack of a better word, it acts and feels "tight". When firing, originally it wouldn't fire in full auto mode, and it acted more like it wanted to fire only semi-auto. After throwing some more rounds downrange, it's still "tight", but it's worked it's way up to firing 3-5 round bursts in full auto. Nothing appears to be malfunctioning, and it appears to be cycling properly, it just acts like an A2 trigger group. Fires a burst, then stops. Pull the trigger, it fires burst again. Stop, pull the trigger, burst and so on.

Meplat or Zundfolge, does that sound like anything you've heard of? I see nothing wrong with it with the naked eye, and no, the trigger group was not changed. I just can't get over how "tight" the damned thing feels. I'm sure you know what I mean, how an M16 has that general little "loose rattle" to it......this is just, well, tight. :lol:

Mebbe it just needs broken in. ;) :minigun: