So, who will stop using Firefox?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
We’re not talking about just any opinion. You’re not announcing a position on Neptune, or asparagus. You have an opinion about people, and your opinion is specifically that you oppose what they do and you believe they are sinful.

It is dishonest to talk badly about people and then act as though you were saying something totally neutral. No matter how carefully you word the unkindness, it is still there.
But there is a difference between having an opinion on something and how you act about that opinion. Supporters of Prop 8, whether their ideas were unfounded or not, were opposed to redefining an existing social construct. It's pretty likely that if it had been the polygamist community that had gained a bunch of support and were pushing forward polygamy equality that the same group of people would have been doing the same things they were doing. It really has nothing to do with the people, it's about the movement against a social construct they agree with.

It's also not that silly to think that some people will think something that someone else does is wrong, regardless of what it is. There are people that dislike others because they eat asparagus. There are people that dislike others because they mow their lawn three times a day.

There is not a fine line between what constitutes discrimination or makes certain opinions okay. Demonizing others because of how they feel on certain topics only reaffirms their positions, it doesn't convince them to change. As TWD rightly pointed out above, there is a huge disconnect between what the vocal gay rights advocates are saying ("It doesn't affect you, live and let live!") and what they are doing ("If you have a problem with us you're no better than the people who lynched blacks and we will treat you as such!").

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't sin punished by eternal damnation in the flames of hell?

If that's your idea of live and let live your religious beliefs are as fucked as your opinions.
To be fair, in Mormonism... no.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Nowhere

Which just brings us full circle. I believe homosexuality is a sin. That doesn't mean that I hate those people, think they are bad people, or that they should treated differently. Because of this opinion there are some that believe I should be shunned by society, removed from the public discourse, and even prevented from making a living. In their mind I am no different than the KKK. Your comment is nothing more than definitive proof that what I am claiming is true. So defend it all you want on the grounds that it's ok because I am "hateful". You are no different than what you claim I am.
I'm Mormon as well and I approve this message.

Netscape is pretty gay
Don't remind me.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't sin punished by eternal damnation in the flames of hell?

If that's your idea of live and let live your religious beliefs are as fucked as your opinions.

But everybody sins. What makes my sins any better than yours? What sin you struggle with is irrelevant, only your acceptance of the atonement of Jesus Christ. I believe this is a more accurate depiction of both Mormonism and popular Christianity's position. I can't say who is going to hell and who is not. That's between you and God.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Hold on a second, if there is no proof of the FSM's existence, who cares if some moron says you are sinning if you take another man's cock in your mouth or ass? You aren't going to burn in Hell either way, since Hell does not exist, as described in some fictional book, amirite?

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
TWD eats Papa Johns and Chick-Fil-A while streaming Ender's Game through his Firefox browser.

People switching to Chrome has made him feel repressed over his choice of browser. If he but mentions Firefox at work he would be fired and put on a blacklist which contains the names of Netscape and Interned Explorer users.

True story.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
https://www.lds.org/manual/true-to-the-faith/death-physical.p1?lang=eng

When the physical body dies, the spirit continues to live. In the spirit world, the spirits of the righteous “are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow” (Alma 40:12). A place called spirit prison is reserved for “those who [have] died in their sins, without a knowledge of the truth, or in transgression, having rejected the prophets” (D&C 138:32). The spirits in prison are “taught faith in God, repentance from sin, vicarious baptism for the remission of sins, the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands, and all other principles of the gospel that [are] necessary for them to know” (D&C 138:33–34). If they accept the principles of the gospel, repent of their sins, and accept ordinances performed in their behalf in temples, they will be welcomed into paradise.

To put it very shortly, the people that have been properly baptized and are righteous will go into Spirit Paradise. The rest will go to Spirit Prison, which actually sounds worse than it really is. It's basically just a holding area for everyone else where they can be taught the Gospel through others who have received and accepted it. Then at that point, they can choose to accept it and go to Spirit Paradise or reject it.

And that's what we believe.

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
As usual, religion discussion manages to sneak into another thread. Because this one was going so well...

Also, @TWD, the crap you're spewing on this thread is the stupidest shit I've read all year.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
I believe homosexuality is a sin. That doesn't mean that I hate those people, think they are bad people, or that they should treated differently.

You do think they should be treated differently. You think they shouldn’t be allowed to marry, for one. I should be surprised if the list ended there, but it’s enough already.

Because of this opinion there are some that believe I should be shunned by society, removed from the public discourse, and even prevented from making a living. In their mind I am no different than the KKK. Your comment is nothing more than definitive proof that what I am claiming is true. So defend it all you want on the grounds that it's ok because I am "hateful". You are no different than what you claim I am.

That isn’t true either. I don’t believe you are the KKK, and I don’t want to shun you. If you were ever near Austin I’d offer my home to you, as well as food and delicious, delicious beer. (I won’t tell.) I just think you have a dumb opinion, and you are complaining about something you brought on yourself. Go on thinking whatever you wish, but when you announce your distaste for certain people you oughtn’t be surprised that they and their friends dislike you. You’re not oppressed—you’re just an asshole.

It really has nothing to do with the people, it's about the movement against a social construct they agree with.

Those ideas can’t be divided so cleanly. Social constructs don’t exist in a vacuum; they are for and about people. That’s what ‘social’ means. You can shift the object of your views onto theoretical constructs with clever language, but that doesn’t change what you’re actually doing.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
What happens if they reject
Then, to put it bluntly, since they're rejecting the Atonement of Jesus Christ, they'll have to pay for their own sins in full with their own suffering.

As usual, religion discussion manages to sneak into another thread. Because this one was going so well...

Also, @TWD, the crap you're spewing on this thread is the stupidest shit I've read all year.
You know, I hear a lot of nonsense like this aimed at me whenever I'm talking about Mormonism. However, I also found the appropriate response to these situations a long time ago.

u mad?

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
People say I look like Jesus because I have long hair, a beard and I'm a Jew like he was. I suggest you all start giving me lots of money, sinners.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
Then, to put it bluntly, since they're rejecting the Atonement of Jesus Christ, they'll have to pay for their own sins in full with their own suffering.

Does saying something so vicious stir any human feeling in you at all?

What sort of person would decide to make suffering the currency of atonement?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Those ideas can’t be divided so cleanly. Social constructs don’t exist in a vacuum; they are for and about people. That’s what ‘social’ means. You can shift the object of your views onto theoretical constructs with clever language, but that doesn’t change what you’re actually doing.
Sure they don't. But society is built on people, society itself doesn't exist in a vacuum. And people have a variety of thoughts on a variety of subjects. It doesn't really matter whether their opinions are unfounded or not, I prefer to live in a world where anyone can (peaceably) hold any opinion they want, and I also want to live in a world where anyone can donate to causes that support their opinions. If we didn't live in that kind of society, there wouldn't even be a gay rights movement.

The point is, people supporting the kind of society they want to live in is their choice. And I think it's colossally against the ideals of a free society to figuratively crucify someone for having opinions you don't agree with.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Does saying something so vicious stir any human feeling in you at all?

What sort of person would decide to make suffering the currency of atonement?
What sort of person would reject the Gospel if it was staring them right in the face?

Justice says that no unclean thing can enter into Gods presence. So how can we return to him? Through the Atonement, justice is tempered by mercy as Jesus Christ paid for the sins so we wouldn't have to as long as we repent.

Don't quote me on this but personally, I'm sure the suffering will actually come from not being able to be with Heavenly Father or Jesus Christ or even perhaps some of your loved ones and not through something that is actively inflicted upon you. You wish to be left alone so you will be left alone to your imperfections and mistakes.

Last edited:

Unreal4Eva

BioHazard!
May 19, 2009
Now that Mozilla has a new CEO that is supposedly anti-gay - will you stop using Firefox and Thunderbird to show your support for the gay community?

Or will you continue to be a homophobic Mozilla user?

This my first time hearing about this story but everyone is entitled to what they believe in or what browser they should use but as for me I'm bi-sexual, I have 4 browsers installed on my PC and that's how I roll :)

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
It doesn't really matter whether their opinions are unfounded or not, I prefer to live in a world where anyone can (peaceably) hold any opinion they want, and I also want to live in a world where anyone can donate to causes that support their opinions.

Well of course we’re in agreement here. Concerning your stance on homosexuality, “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” I will not, however, be surprised when the good people you are denouncing for no good reason become irritated and seek to marginalize you—and neither should you be.