The Ball : Pehua Announced!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
I have been working on my own little mod together with DGUnreal as the programmer, and RenderMonkey as the Kismet scripter, and some additional programming help from SolidSnake.

We hope to have this done in time for MSU phase 1, with a possible first release next weekend if all goes well.

The Ball : Pehua (Pehua : the beginning) is a singleplay FPS puzzle game involving the player and a big metal ball. The player must push the ball around, currently using a modified impact hammer, to get around puzzles and obstacles.
The game takes place in an Aztec temple, inside a gigantic cavern in the top of an volcano.

It is basically Portal meets Tomb Raider in terms of feeling, atmosphere, action/puzzle ratio and all that.

The idea was to make a puzzle game with a darker edge to it. Most puzzle and ball games are usually quite cartoony and kiddy, we are trying to go for a slightly darker yet still rather colorful (Unreal!) style.

Pehua is part one, if this part is received well, we will continue to expand the mod with part two, Oztoc (In the Cave), and so on. In future versions we also intend to add more action orientated gameplay with some simple enemies, to speed up gameplay and make it more catchy, and to give more attention to the background story with some intro dialogs.

But for now, we are starting simple.

Last edited:

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
Niceness! Keep it up guys :D

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
It would be pretty hard to transform the theme into Na Pali at this point, and besides it already looks like it a little. Its quite unrealish, its pretty low poly, its dark and indoor, and there are lots of colors. I think you will all like the atmosphere and music of the place. It feels mysterious and a bit scary.

We are not making the planned weekend release because like always, things take longer than expected, but the good news is that we are pretty close to a beta now. There are 15 issues left, and 13 of those are really easy to fix.

The mod will be about 130 MB large, and this first release has about an hour of singleplay gametime I am guessing.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Hourences please tell me you used jump pads int eh puzzles. :) I think things would get really entertaining having to grab/smack the ball mid air. Anyway I will definitely play this.

Last edited:

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
There is one jumppad at the moment but it is quite a simple one. I figured that in-air-smashing-ball thing out too, so we will likely expand that in the future :)

Oh and there is a low grav room too.

Awesome. I think there is a lot of potential with this idea. I had not even considered low grav. Very cool. Just an idea, I think it would also be cool to see puzzles where you put yourself in danger and the ball triggers something that stops a cieling from smashing you or something to that effect. I think something like that could add a sense of panic/urgency to the puzzels. There are just so many options here which is why I think its such a sound idea for a mod. Good luck on the scripting =D

Last edited:

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
Yeah there is a lot of potential. It is difficult finding things that are doable though without lots of new code. We dont have a trap you can stop with the ball yet, but it will likely be added in the future:)
The first level is a bit of introduction area, there is a bit of everything to introduce all the types of environments. So 1 low grav room, 1 jumppad thing, etc.
Its certainly also the intention to add things like mummies and arrow turrets later on, which would also do well in adding tension and urgency.

DeBiese

Oct 13, 2004
Looks interesting. I will definitely check it out when it's available!
Can hardly wait actually. But hey, I have the EK to keep me busy the next 2 evenings. :)