Thoughts on the 3 new official maps

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

phor

Jan 26, 2008
Hmm, can't say i've got any framerate issues either on the new maps.

Lethargy, you're right about the Asian theme - it does appear to be the new Egyptian of UT3 and that's why I was skeptical when reading that Facing Worlds was using it also, but I think it really works for the map and keeps things slightly fresher for such a classic.
I know what you mean Lyx, about being more grounded..its just different. Facing Worlds in space had been played to death..this iteration in my opinion is great. And definitely better than any of 2K's offerings.

Completely random but does anyone get an effect when using the translocator on Face..whereby you get a white highlight around either tower the moment you shoot the translocator? Its really minimal but i wondered if it was just me.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
I'm already tired of the Japanese theme. Bring back the Egyptian theme and the Anubans ... man do you folks remember how good the levels in UC2 looked ... pretty much all of them ... why don't they bring some of those levels over. Especially the CTF levels ... those are very well done in UC2 ... and DM-Remnant is probably the coolest small DM level I have ever played. If they increased the size just about 25% they would have a perfect Antalus for UT3.

Apr 11, 2006
If you really want Facing Worlds in space, you could open it up, delete out the extraneous terrain, then plop in the skysphere from Deimos.

Also, while the Asian theme is a bit gimmicky... First off, people complain about the lack of gimmicky environments in UT3. Second, I think it's a bit more versatile than the Egyptian theme in 2k4, which, once you started adding Egyptian elements, pretty much meant you had to go all out Egyptian.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
I think UC2 showed off just how versatile the Egyptian theme can be.

Hedge-o-Matic

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
Face is Face. It'll be fun to play again, given UT3's UT99-like feel, but I don't want to start seeing Face 24/7 servers taking over CTF.

Morbias is a map I don't think I ever bothered with in UT99, and I played that game non-stop for four years straight. I might have played it once, but didn't bother playing it again; I don't remember. It just seems like a test level for someone just starting with the editor. Not sure why we need to see it in UT3, really, given that a mapper could have spent the time better on almost any other map.

Searchlight looks awesome. The routes and areas seem different and interesting, and I love the Necris theme. I can't wait to play this online, and hope to see more maps of this quality. This map seems to be the only important addition in this map pack.

Bring back the Egyptian theme and the Anubans ...

Of course, you almost have no choice but to say this, Anuban...

Last edited:

GGA_Nate

I train people, not dogs.
Jan 20, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
www.myspace.com
Morbias is a map I don't think I ever bothered with in UT99, and I played that game non-stop for four years straight. I might have played it once, but didn't bother playing it again; I don't remember. It just seems like a test level for someone just starting with the editor. Not sure why we need to see it in UT3, really, given that a mapper could have spent the time better on almost any other map.

A friend and I used to play one on one every weekend on Morbias and it was fun as hell. I get what you're saying though. It would've been nice to have had another UT99 map remade, like Liandri or Grinder. Man, I miss Grinder.

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
they are great appart from the bugs mentioned, I was wondering, are the spotlights on that map because even though only the blue one works, red team captured, but the whole time it was pointing in the direction of the blue side... confusing...

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Just thought Id post some pics for wail first off :p

[screenshot]http://www.liandriconflict.com/environments/cold.jpg[/screenshot][screenshot]http://www.liandriconflict.com/environments/gauntlet.jpg[/screenshot]
[screenshot]http://www.liandriconflict.com/environments/turmoil.jpg[/screenshot][screenshot]http://www.liandriconflict.com/environments/viper.jpg[/screenshot]
[screenshot]http://www.liandriconflict.com/environments/apex.jpg[/screenshot]

Anyways morbias is okay but I kinda liked fuegs version cause its a touch smaller, there does seem to be alittle more movement around the map though now that its bigger. Its still morbias though :p

Face, I actually liked alot. The new theme might not be to everyones liking but its pretty subtle in comparison with the other similar themed maps. Its well scaled and plays out very much like the face we all know, that could be a good or a bad thing. Just when we thought it was going to retire into being a community only remake map and we'd get stuck with suspense Epic hits us with it. Good job, I dont mind that face isnt in space :) (more grounded remember :p)

Searchlight is a very kewl map, I love the 2 invisibilities and the amount of different routes in this one, as with morbias though there seems to be acouple of issues with bots getting stuck or being highly predictable in their routes. Its a good map to play and Im sure it'll be even better online especially when people get to know the in's and out's.

All in all, its a solid pack of maps they certainly could use alittle polish in there but the visuals are what we've come to expect from UT3 :cool:

phor

Jan 26, 2008
I never really warmed to the egyptian theme..mabye because it was overused. Im feeling pretty positive that wont be the case with the Asian theme for the next maps to come out in the future..Epic are great at producing really varied styled maps so im not worried.

Bazzwano im with you on this, I havent quite worked out how the searchlights work yet, but them seem to do something!

I think Face is really good because its nailed the scaling perfectly. I personally think a couple of maps suffered a little when they bumped up the scaling ages ago (I don't really like biohazard anymore, everyone seems so big for that map - although im undoubtedly in the minority here!) but these new maps really get it right.

Last edited:

T@F

Jan 25, 2003
Visit site
I find the three maps suxs tbh.

face,map seems a lot smaller also the bots suxs on it.
Searchlight,full of bugs,bots yet again sux on it.
Morbias nice textures,but seems to run a lot slower and i`m not talking about fps.

I`m really disappointed tbh.where`s all this good stuff to come.thats what mark rain said.
i mean i would have been happy with a couple of official mutators tbh.as we have better remakes of two of them maps from the community.

Arh well i guess it`s was a poor start for ut3,bonus pack just shows how much the game is lacking.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Psssssttt

That's not the kind of opinion you can freely state with all the fanboism tired of negative running around here. ;)

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I'm not a fan of the new three maps.

face,map seems a lot smaller also the bots suxs on it.

To be quite honest, I found the bots to be incredibly powerful in Face. They just spam Sniper Rifle bullets and they hit me everywhere.

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
how do you spectate? i guess if i play seach light in the editor, im sure ill find the light points up in the sky when the flags taken... it dosnt point to the player at all.. As for the black cube, its only there when spectating at the start of the match.

as for face, the bots play it well if you ask me, they always got someone snipering, and redermers exploding here and there,... awesome... about time some good maps were avalible.

Last edited:

phor

Jan 26, 2008
Yup i think this iteration of Face is great apart from a slight hinderance for the blue team (hard to snipe the red team on the tower against the white backdrop). The only thing im slightly dissappointed with is a wish for some more original music, but im sure we'll get that soon with other maps.

Ironically the more i play Morbias, the more I like it now. Lets hope more servers integrate these new maps

rythem

Feb 13, 2008
Just thought Id post some pics for wail first off :p

[screenshot]http://www.liandriconflict.com/environments/cold.jpg[/screenshot]
[screenshot]http://www.liandriconflict.com/environments/turmoil.jpg[/screenshot]

what maps are those?