UE3 - UT3 Does UE3 do better with large texture atlases or smaller, separated materials?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jonathan

Mar 19, 2006
So some engines do better with a 2k or 4k map with a bunch of models crammed in on the same material (or texture), or in other words, a large texture atlas.

However, some engines/games do better with it being broken up into smaller pieces.

From what I have read and understand, UE3 works better with more individual textures instead of texture atlases that refer to several meshes in a scene.

I guess this could be due to the speed of the game, as you're often moving into a new scene, occlusion areas, etc. so there would probably be more draw calls necessary. Also, perhaps it has something to do with the structure of Unreal Engine 3 itself.

So is there any technical information that can further nail down which one is better? Right now I'm of the conclusion that smaller non-atlased textures are better.

|*BILLY$CLINT*|

I make things happen!
Jan 25, 2008
The Moon
Really depends on what you are trying to achieve in your scene. Also how big the objects are how many of them you have play a part in making this decision. I know gears does use a textures atlas for props, soda cans, bottles, brooms, things like that. I know for a fact that if you make each one of those objects have its own material your going to take a HUGE performance epically if you try and get all fancy with your shader.