UT runs great but Unreal 1 runs in software mode only!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Shine

Jan 21, 2001
Visit site
Just installed Unreal Tournament and the 436 patch. I've set the game to run at 1024x768 with 32-bit color depth and all other options maxed out. I'm not seeing the dramatic visual improvements found with the Quake III 32-bit textures, but everything sure is razor-sharp! I had NO problems installing the game or getting it to run. However, when I tried to access the Advanced Options window (with the above video settings), my video scrambled into a big, blurry mess--I couldn't see a thing and had to CTRL-ALT-DEL my machine! Then I dropped the video down to 640x480 and 16-bit color depth; now I had no problems opening Advanced Options and making the changes I wanted. Afterward, I just put the video back where I had it to start.

Note that I didn't have to use any special DLL's or GeForce drivers or other such voodoo. The game detected and used my video card without any problems.

SO WHY THE F*** CAN'T UNREAL 1 DO THE SAME G****** THING?!?!

If someone out there knows exactly how to trick Unreal 1 into running with a GeForce2 video card, please clue me in. Since Epic has abandoned the game in its present sorry state, I need help from an experienced user!

My system:

1.2GHz AMD Athlon Thunderbird
ASUS A7V JumperFree PC133/VC133 Rev 1.02
VIA Apollo KT133 Chipset
ASUS AGP-V7700 GeForce2 GTS
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Model: CT4760

Thanks to those folks who try to help!!!

Shine

Jan 21, 2001
Visit site
WHAT A JOKE!!!

I used the patch Smirftsch developed to get Unreal 1 to run in something other than software mode. And all I have to say is:

I WANNA HAVE SMIRFTSCH'S BABY!!!

The joke is how everyone wants to say the problem lies somewhere other than the most obvious place: the game itself.

Thank God Smirftsch gives a damn and is skilled enough to fix the game. His patch is at this address:

http://www.oldunreal.com/patch.shtml