FMI, what can we do.....

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[pet]owl

Jul 13, 2004
what can the community do to help advertise this game. Seeing games liek pariah get attention is making me sick. Its fun but not xmp. is there something we can do to help spread the word. what are you rplans? will utxmp get a spot on fileplanet again?

...andrelax

SkyBum
Mar 14, 2004
london, uk
fill the servers with players and welcome noobs when they come are the main things we can do i reckon.
and i think we should hold off the advertising till utxmp is complete

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
...andrelax said:
fill the servers with players and welcome noobs when they come are the main things we can do i reckon.
and i think we should hold off the advertising till utxmp is complete
:stupid: * 2

cyb

Dec 15, 2003
iamstupid.gif

dutch_gecko said:
Still waiting for xfire to get it :hmm:
Yeah, I've even taken the utxmp.com link out of my sig.

Xfire doesn't have a UTXMP specific, but it does tell you the map names, ie XMP-FOX. So that's a quick start. Once UTXMP is out and done, if they don't add UTXMP to there list, then we all need to get together and write them and let them know that they need to incorporate UTXMP for Xfire.

[DF]phalanx

bgutblower=true
Aug 15, 2002
manchester uk
Visit site
i reckon reckon doesn't get used that much j/k
i was thinking of a way to help the newbies enjoy this game and with the correct elements implemented this can be done in the way of a tutorial level which accur in the main gametypes in UT99. of course i dont expect this yet as this would need decent AI which of course isn't high on FMI's agenda and currently as the gametype is in beta form its not important until the final release.
as it is at the moment in beta form it is fine with player numbers, afterall it's a beta test and only the U2XMP would know about the balance and bug issues on maps and weapons because they played the origional, although new players as they apear should be welcomed and helped when needed.

...andrelax

SkyBum
Mar 14, 2004
london, uk
[DF]phalanx said:
i was thinking of a way to help the newbies enjoy this game and with the correct elements implemented this can be done in the way of a tutorial level which accur in the main gametypes in UT99...............new players as they apear should be welcomed and helped when needed.

yes, welcoming new players is really important - all this talk of "damn noobs" on the in-game chat is nothing but destructive when we desperately need new players.

re the training level, have a look at

-it's a map with optional spoken instructions for new players, but is hopefully small and intense enough to provide a decent match for seasoned players. I'll release it after the patch. If anyone's interested in having a say in how it's finished please download the beta; I'd value opinions..

JaGo

nbk-JaGo
Feb 24, 2004
...andrelax said:
yes, welcoming new players is really important - all this talk of "damn noobs" on the in-game chat is nothing but destructive when we desperately need new players.

re the training level, have a look at

-it's a map with optional spoken instructions for new players, but is hopefully small and intense enough to provide a decent match for seasoned players. I'll release it after the patch. If anyone's interested in having a say in how it's finished please download the beta; I'd value opinions..

I just downloaded your latest training map. I suggested before that you should have arrows on the ground showing people where you want them to go. If they choose to go left instead of right, the whole purpose of the training stations inside the node area is lost. You should put big bright arrows on the ground or very clearly state in the voice overs that you want the "new" players to go right for training purposes. Just my 2cents...

pistos

Mar 18, 2004
First, I want to say that I think the ARTrainer map is a fun map to play in its own right, whether it is used for training or not. It has lots of interesting variety. I like the look of it. Once a person becomes familiar with the map it lends itself to some good gaming.

I have three points about the map being used for training:

1. I second the idea of arrows. That would be helpful. I seem to rememeber that some of the UT training maps have had something similar in the past.

2. As a fairly new player myself still, I will say that I found the ARTrainer map to be one of the most confusing maps to play at first. The reason is that the map is filled with lots of "non-standard" XMP elements. Some examples: there is the "wind tunnel" effect through that one hallway--I had never encounter something like that in a typical XMP map before; there is lots of "glass" which does not appear to be glass until you try to unsuccessfully jump through it--most typical XMP maps don't even have glass--the windows are open so you can jump through them; there are nonstandard doors with nonstandard ways of opening them; how to get outside is not obvious at first--the elevator does not immediately present itself as such to the new player.

3. The game play balance of this map does not seem quite right to me, especially as a training map. A team can stay "inside" the entire time and win the game. It is not necessary that you go outside and deal with the elements out there. I am trying to remember details here, so I may be wrong, but it seems that there is a fairly quick sprint route a player can take in the building from one arti-node to the other, making a quick win by one team almost guaranteed.

I will repeat in closing that I like the ARTrainer map! The comments I have made above are trying to think of that map being used as a training map for a brand new player.

PETsnake

www.p3t.org bitch
Feb 25, 2004
one time in ghana. . .

[pet]owl said:
what can the community do to help ?

heavy drinking and buying expensive, overpriced hardware is the only solution.

...andrelax

SkyBum
Mar 14, 2004
london, uk
wow thanks for all the feedback! the map's for everyone, so i really value it all.

spacelord, yep it's my voice! am gonna get a woman to do it for the final version though. I was considering french and german language versions if there's an interest.

Jago I know just the thing you mean! There's a signpost but it's obviously not enough.
The instructions are only for xmp-specific things like deploy points, not weapons which people can work out for themselves.

pistos
-the windtunnel is a gimmick to stop people taking an arti back where they came from; it's to address just the thing you said about being able to stay inside and win. it means the arti carrier has to get past two enemy deploy points and a hackable door to get home, which is no mean feat. There are two teleporters out of the corridor as well as two lifts.
-the glass is really there to protect new players and direct flow.. i guess it could come out, it would have a huge effect...
-You really need to go outside because there's a generator there with twice the output of the indoor ones. The total energy produced of the three gens is the same as the total in lowlands.
-doors are lifted from the stock maps, and lifts are like that (triggeropentimed) so you can jump down when running an arti.
-thank you for all those comments - please let me know what you think of the answers

petsnake, you're damn right - any excuse to get a BiggerBetterFasterMore rig to run the game on ;)

JaGo

nbk-JaGo
Feb 24, 2004
...andrelax said:
wow thanks for all the feedback! the map's for everyone, so i really value it all.

spacelord, yep it's my voice! am gonna get a woman to do it for the final version though. I was considering french and german language versions if there's an interest.

Jago I know just the thing you mean! There's a signpost but it's obviously not enough.
The instructions are only for xmp-specific things like deploy points, not weapons which people can work out for themselves.

pistos
-the windtunnel is a gimmick to stop people taking an arti back where they came from; it's to address just the thing you said about being able to stay inside and win. it means the arti carrier has to get past two enemy deploy points and a hackable door to get home, which is no mean feat. There are two teleporters out of the corridor as well as two lifts.
-the glass is really there to protect new players and direct flow.. i guess it could come out, it would have a huge effect...
-You really need to go outside because there's a generator there with twice the output of the indoor ones. The total energy produced of the three gens is the same as the total in lowlands.
-doors are lifted from the stock maps, and lifts are like that (triggeropentimed) so you can jump down when running an arti.
-thank you for all those comments - please let me know what you think of the answers

petsnake, you're damn right - any excuse to get a BiggerBetterFasterMore rig to run the game on ;)

Leave the glass, it would make it FAR too easy to get out with arts (or get into the node). One other suggestion, put a sign on the first few door/elevator panels that says something like "Hack Me!!" This would bring attention to the panels and in turn bring attention to the lifts and doors.