cXp public beta: we need your support

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Shadow-

Equal Opportunity Offender
Mar 9, 2004
Out of My Mind
www.3dap.com
Personally I just got the maps. All of them Look pretty good and play well except for ArtiDozen. VotD Needs a little more work on the places that you get stuck in. Also more of the maps need radar. UE definately needs Radar. It gets confusing after a while.

Dragon_Myr

Mar 4, 2004
Dead_Metal said:
Just in case u forgot we = mappers, we can do w/e the heck we want with a map, so don't mistake urself on that count.

That's right. You can do whatever you want with a map. The players also can do whatever they want with a map. The community can do whatever it wants with a map. If you like the map then you'll be able to play on it. If the players and community like the map then you'll see it on servers. Maps for XMP are not created for just one person or a small group. They're created for a group of players like us to gather together on a server and duke it out in a team-based (hopefully) battle for artifacts. To a certain degree, you have to be sensitive to your audience and create environments that appeal to them. There's more to mapping than creating a simple indoor environment. Doing something eye catching, well thought out, or challenging always brings a crowd of people wanting to see what makes a map more special than another map. To ignore that and your audience is to play a guitar on a stage with the curtains down and no idea of what's cool today in music. It's not a good idea.

If I could make radar work, I would have added it to UE. Radar was not cooperating with me before release and the files to download from Dalton's Atari Community post were gone because Legend shut down. Therefore, UE had no radar at release.

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
actually...the radar packages are standard packages...no extra downloading required. I think that tutorial was written back in the beta before they decided to include them.

also, yes, radars are a bitch. if you notice all the radars in the AP map pack are just a little "off"... took me 45min-hour per radar...and that is with experience making a radar before...so just have fun.

Mantik

Master Beta
Apr 2, 2004
Philthy
PF Prophet said:
mantik take a chill pill
your coming off as a pissed off prick and thats no good

if u doing like it offer help to make whats there work insted of just bitching about it

and the arti dozen map dosn bother me its just another larger ver of mechIII with raps IMHO nothing big could be better but im not gonna bitch about any of the map becouse i cant do anybetter

oh one note deathvaly needs work on all the spots that its easy to get stuck

Shove the pill up your ass. They asked for opinions, I stated mine. Get over it. If you don't like criticism go play the Care Bears computer game or Barbie Dress Up or whatever. Fleury's post pretty much exemplifies my own, go back and read that, then read the title post again where Takwu asks us if there's anything wrong. Read it about 500 times to drill it into your thick skull, then feel free to back your face up. They asked for opinions. I, on the other hand, did not.. so I can rest easy when I tell you to stfu and to eat the rancid ass out of your opinion.. of my opinion.

;)

The other maps I've played have been fine thus far. If YOU must know.

PS: I DID offer help. I told them to make it go away. That's pretty damn helpful on how to make the map not suck if you ask me.

Last edited:

PF Prophet

Dec 9, 2003
[BBF]Mantik said:
Shove the pill up your ass. They asked for opinions, I stated mine. Get over it. If you don't like criticism go play the Care Bears computer game or Barbie Dress Up or whatever. Fleury's post pretty much exemplifies my own, go back and read that, then read the title post again where Takwu asks us if there's anything wrong. Read it about 500 times to drill it into your thick skull, then feel free to back your face up. They asked for opinions. I, on the other hand, did not.. so I can rest easy when I tell you to stfu and to eat the rancid ass out of your opinion.. of my opinion.

;)

The other maps I've played have been fine thus far. If YOU must know.

PS: I DID offer help. I told them to make it go away. That's pretty damn helpful on how to make the map not suck if you ask me.

yeah u gave an oppenion but like now u come off as an pissed off ass *shakes head and walks away*

-Shadow-

Equal Opportunity Offender
Mar 9, 2004
Out of My Mind
www.3dap.com
Well that's nice to know Myr. Thanks for letting me know that. Yeah, I'd llike to say don't be an ******* when you express an opinion. You can be honest but you shouldn't be "Brutally" honest.

Dead_Metal

I'm something - But I don't know what.
Feb 13, 2004
....you know, criticism's nice.......realy it is - I do artworks, I like the good and the bad because well the bad makes me want to improve it and the good just makes me feel good about it. So if your done bickering like the bunch of ninnies ur acting like, add some criticism and suggestions (besides radar). Making a map go away is not up to us if a version of it is already out on servers now is it? - Thats the ppl who run the servers deal now, not ours.

Myr....in door maps huh?.......ya.......nice.

er...didn't entirely get that statement cascade.....but w/e - I don't really like FMI...(that one is complicated)

um....yah - ne how > If ur done bitching and moaning about how u can't play this map and that map is **** and this map needs more work and oh that map needs gone and oh i like this map and wtf is THAT MAP (if u can understand this - u just got another 100 pts) - THIS IS THE BETA, we FIX or ADJUST ne map we have for the FULL RELEASE......no offense to the AP ppl but shall we point out many of their maps? and their's was a final version.

I suppose this was the good thing that the FMI did, worked without the public instead of with them. Continue on ur path m8s and we'll see what we do about this whole "public relations" crap.

..........I am in a testy mood.

Last edited:

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Fleury and Mantik,
Yes thank you for your opinions, and glad to hear the other maps are "fine" :) But please reconsider trying the cXp version next time you see a server running our pack

I understand the frustration that ADR (cXp staff lingo for Artidozneraptors) had caused when it was first released some time ago. I wasn't a big fan of it myself, but didn't have much of a problem with it either. When I learnt that cXp was going to include it, I knew we had a task on our hand: make ADR less hated!

First I laid down the difference between it and a "regular" XMP map:
- 12 artifacts!
- no radar :rolleyes:
- flat arena
- high visibility

IMO, the true problem with 12 artifacts is not having to cap all 12, as you know it only lengthens the game to a certain point. Instead I think the problem is the lack of artifact status. The standard HUD displays the status of the first 4 artifacts only, making total artifact count unknown, and therefore ignored, and ultimatedly less meaningful.

We first tried to create a gametype to display all 12 artifact icons on the hud, but that involved a lot more than anticipated. The problem was left unsolved until middle of June, when I decided to create the new gametype TwelveGame. Instead of adding more icons to the HUD, I used the 4 existing boxes to display the number of artifacts each team has. For exactly how it works I guess I need another thread :D Anyway, now everyone knows how many of the 12 artifacts each team has got, and hopefully that solves problem number one: the artifact objective should not be ignored.

As for radar, apparently you can say "why'd that help?" Well, if you have to ask that, you haven't used the radar enough. Used properly, it gives vital information such as location of enemy and their movement. If an enemy left a Raptor behind your base, you know which entrance to greet them at ;)

As for the flat arena: I suggested phalanx to add the bumps on it, and he did. This will give the Raptors less freedom, and also more "car accidents". It's a safer place for "pesdestrians" now. The high visibility issue was somewhat countered by the low light level previously, but that wasn't too effective. The new shiny textures are IMO much better.

I know all this is not going to make ADR a regular XMP map, but they are intended to at least keep it an XMP game. Instead of a gut-blowing deathmatch, it is now more of a gut-blowing artifact-whoring contest :D
I'm on defense!

Last edited:

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
GotBeer? said:
Is the fact that I couldn't find any populated servers running cxp maps last night a criticism of those maps? I may just have to wander around a few this afternoon offline to check them out.
I'm sorry about the lack of support from admins :( That's also part of what I asked for in my initial post.
X clan new maps server is hosting cXp, but also a lot of other maps. I'm going to ask them to perhaps rearrange the list so half the cXp maps could be on the "other side" of the rotation. Last night I did get a chance to try a few of the cXp maps there, but it got late and I had to leave :zzz: Good thing is that I got a few positive comments \o/

Please, webadmins out there, we need your support! :notworthy:

Fleury14

Lei STILL sux. It's true.
Jan 6, 2003
Fresno, CA
Visit site
Being able to see who has the arti's IS an improvement. I don't think radar is much though, because people rarely hold on to an arti for more than 2 minutes. But again, its not the execution of the map that has people hating the map, its the purpose behind it. That's not something that can be fixed, which is why you're not going to hear a lot of 'improvement' suggestions.

The only other map I've seen from the cXp that I can remember is LastRites, and the design on that map is stellar. The base design is geomterically unique while still maintaining functionality and balance. The biggest problem is FPS, and PRG is well aware of that already, and to my knowledge is working on it.

Last edited:

[GDC]Faust

Goblin Hunter
Apr 29, 2004
www.gamersdungeon.de
@Dead_Metal: Your posts are sometimes very difficult to read (till I realized "ne" means "any" :D....)

However, I find it very irritating that all the maps and pacs and mutators and whatever (w/e? no thx, I'm not thirsty! :D) only become popular and widespread in this community if enough ppl get pissed about it. I've seen many good maps and muts just fading away of which everybody said, "wow, that's actually quite good"), example from the mapping-section: Well I could mention GDC-Pool but since I'm not very objective on this one, i'll just go further and mention GEOMassif. This map is afaik better than MOST of the custom-stuff floating around atm. For a good Mutator: What about the S1-thingie? It had very good ideas in it but I never saw it anywhere or anyone talking about it.

All you guys talk about are maps like RGB, ArtiDozenRaptors or those customvehicles and are shouting and whining that noone releases something serious. Of course there are ppl who release something serious! Take that map by Zombiewoof for example. Well it looks very promising so far and I think it could get a nice map. But I BET it gets only played on more than 1 or 2 servers if it turns out to be total crap!
Why? Simple: Only then there will always be somebody like Mantik and telling that it sucks and ppl who will argue against that because they like it (Don't take me wrong, Mantik, when u think a map sucks, that's your oppinion, I think that RGB sucks!). But like that the map won't get forgotten and there will always be a server-admin who thinks: "uh, what nifty custom-map could I upload today? I'll take a look @ the forums, oh, there's this beta-released mappack everyone is talking about! Well they say the maps are crap but since I don't find anything else on the forums, I'll have to stick with that."

I hope you get the Idea.

Mantik

Master Beta
Apr 2, 2004
Philthy
Brutal honesty is the best honesty. Whether your ego/self esteem can suffer it is not the problem of those who voice it. Like Fluery once again stated, oh so more eloquently than I ever can or will be able to, it's not the map itSELF perse, but the way it's played by the people. No matter what you do to change the map ( i have played the updated version ) people still abandon any and all teamwork to gutblow and point whore. MAYBE if it was toned down to 8 artifacts like other maps, it could be playable with the new bumps/radar/etc.. MAYBE, because there's less emphasis on the thoughts that "Well there's too many damn artifacts to try to cap them all so why bother? Let's just DM" which is what most people think.

Mantik

Master Beta
Apr 2, 2004
Philthy
Dead_Metal said:
Making a map go away is not up to us if a version of it is already out on servers now is it? - Thats the ppl who run the servers deal now, not ours.

This is true. But for an expansion that is being released to HELP the XMP community, releasing a map that turns XMP into Unreal Tournament, is not much of a help. The map is there, whether anyone likes it or not.. but is it really helping XMP? The game, yeah maybe by adding in something new to play.. but most certainly NOT the game play.. and who here can argue that XMP's gameplay isn't what made them love the game to begin with? :(

zombiewoof

Rokk Fiddler, Farmer
Oct 2, 2003
Oaksterdam, California
Visit site
"Take that map by Zombiewoof for example. Well it looks very promising so far and I think it could get a nice map. But I BET it gets only played on more than 1 or 2 servers if it turns out to be total crap!"

True.... SO I be tryins really hard not to make the craps map...... soon.

arf!

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Wow...

So much for looking to save XMP, eh.

I haven't checked out the pack yet, and I do have some idea after seeing the site how I'm going to react to it.

It seems to me that the community is willing to rip itself apart, and for what?

I know I butt heads with Dead_Metal when FMI made their announcement about UTXMP. I do realize that there is some riff between the two that I'm sure no one wants to dig up.

I haven't touched XMP in a while, and I am hoping that when I come back this weekend that I can take the game out for a new spin.

With that said...

Mantik, calm down just a bit man. Yeah, we understand you're being honest but can you at least state things in a more civilized manner... There are better ways to express what you're trying to say.

Dead_Metal... You guys need to start acting more professionally. Honestly, this "holier than thou" attitude you guys have had is what irritated me most when i first heard about the project. It looks like things haven't changed that much. If you guys aren't willing to take criticism and deal with it appropriately, your project is not going to be well recieved in what is left of this community. While we all acknowledge you guys are trying to save XMP as it currently stands, you guys need to realize that you are not heroes for doing so. Anyone else could do this if they felt the need.

With that said, i will report back sometime next week with what i think of the beta release. I have some opinions of my own about what i saw shown on the website, but I will reserve judgement until I get a little play time with things.

Dandeloreon1984

CXP Director
Jan 31, 2004
Iceboy2003 said:
Dead_Metal... You guys need to start acting more professionally. Honestly, this "holier than thou" attitude you guys have had is what irritated me most when i first heard about the project. It looks like things haven't changed that much. If you guys aren't willing to take criticism and deal with it appropriately, your project is not going to be well recieved in what is left of this community. While we all acknowledge you guys are trying to save XMP as it currently stands, you guys need to realize that you are not heroes for doing so. Anyone else could do this if they felt the need.

the cxp has some issues, with having an attitude, but we keep it in check... our problem is that people do not give our changes time to play out for a few days, after all, the vehicles may be rehashes, but we are working on flying vehicles, or at least a new one... and aslo, i do not speak for dead metal when i say this, but i feel that you need to respect the fact that we are attempting to add some new flavor to an game that is having issues on it's own... we just want to add some fun variety to xmp, so we can enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.