Portal 2 Invades The Ball, Killing Floor

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vaginal Epiphany

Jun 11, 2010
Meh, Portal was a good game, but nowhere near close to great. I don't understand all this hype, in the end it's main selling point is that it's a Valve game.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
Meh, Portal was a good game, but nowhere near close to great. I don't understand all this hype, in the end it's main selling point is that it's a Valve game.

No, you are wrong. YOU think it isn't great. Others might think that it is great (as the post above shows), if you aren't too narrow minded to understand that others might have different tastes.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Even if you don't like the genre, you have to admit it got a LOT of stuff right. They took a simple and relatively unexplored idea (a portal gun), placed you in a rather unassuming but lovely environment, gave you a great character (Glados) as a guide/adversary, and let a story unfold in a rather surprising way. The humor was sharp, the writing crisp, and it didn't drag on forever and ever.

There may be games with MORE of good things in total, but there aren't many that take a fresh concept like that and just nail it.

Vaginal Epiphany

Jun 11, 2010
Even if you don't like the genre, you have to admit it got a LOT of stuff right. They took a simple and relatively unexplored idea (a portal gun), placed you in a rather unassuming but lovely environment, gave you a great character (Glados) as a guide/adversary, and let a story unfold in a rather surprising way. The humor was sharp, the writing crisp, and it didn't drag on forever and ever.

There may be games with MORE of good things in total, but there aren't many that take a fresh concept like that and just nail it.

Yeah, okay, the idea sounds great on the board, and the presentation was pretty damn good, but all of the actual puzzles in the game were so unimaginative and easy it literally took a couple of hours to beat. That does not a good game make in my opinion. I would have expected them to go wild with the level design, but meh. All I saw was wasted potential.

I'll wait until the price drops heavily for this before I'm even considering buying it. Would have never gotten Portal if Valve didn't give it to me for free.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Yeah, okay, the idea sounds great on the board, and the presentation was pretty damn good, but all of the actual puzzles in the game were so unimaginative and easy it literally took a couple of hours to beat. That does not a good game make in my opinion. I would have expected them to go wild with the level design, but meh. All I saw was wasted potential.

I'll wait until the price drops heavily for this before I'm even considering buying it. Would have never gotten Portal if Valve didn't give it to me for free.

Did you at least take a look at the challenge rooms?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't know how you could finish Portal in two hours. The loading screens alone would pretty much force you to play longer than that.

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I guess that's true. If you know the layout of the rooms, it's a lot easier to move faster.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Here's the thing about Portal.... it was bundled in The Orange Box along with Half Life, Episodes 1 and 2, and Team Fortress 2. It's been sold separately, but it has always been priced accordingly and sometimes free.

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
I was wondering, at what point did the first unreal had portal support? Did it have it since it's inception around 1995? I'm wondering what the first engine was to have them. Unreal is the earliest I can find.