On Topic

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
OK, let's get this cleared up.

This is a Planet Unreal forum. It is meant for:

1. Talking about Unreal/UT
2. Talking about Unreal engine games
3. Talking about the site

Plus, there is 'Off Topic', for things that are not about any of the above. This thread has nothing to do with UT, therefore it goes in the 'Off Topic' forum, because it is off the topic of Unreal, not off the topic of being off topic.

Got it? No? F**k.

bullet2.gif

If anyone discovers what the Universe is for, and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable.

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
Makes sense Sam, other than the fact that this thread has actually mentioned Unreal Tournament. Therefore, it is off topic in the off topic thread, making it on topic for the UT thread. I petitioned moderators to have it moved, but to no avail. :(

If it was moved to the UT thread, it would be on topic. Now it is off topic in the off topic thread. The heading itself, on topic, is off topic in this thread.

It should be moved.

btw: Boom and Loibisch...Love the time machine. Very creative.

bullet2.gif

All that lives is born to die. - Page/Plant

Sam_The_Man

Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
But the MAJORITY of the topic is about silly theories about hyperspace, time compression and navels, and it only mentions UT in passing.

bullet2.gif

If anyone discovers what the Universe is for, and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable.

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>But the MAJORITY of the topic is about silly theories about hyperspace, time compression and navels, and it only mentions UT in passing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhm...no.
Actually:
1) silly theories about hyperspace: What about DM-Hyperblast? An UT map where you can see a spacecraft flying...so not that off topic...
2) Time compression: you can use the console command slomo &lt;number&gt; where &lt;number&gt; is the multiplier for the time. So you can compress and/or slow down time (which hasn't been mentioned, yet).
But there's not only time but also file compression available for UT...you see?
3) Navels...uhm, you got me there ;)
Aah, I got it: since Boom is an UT player it is important to discuss his navel...imagine if he hadn't one, he would be a biological miracle playing UT.

Loibisch

Don't take me for serious :)

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
Also, a navel is the area between a Headshot and a Crotchshot.

Maybe Rooster would be a gentleman and load the Crotchmaster mutator onto his server. :)

Question: How do you get a crotchshot on the cow skin?

As far as I'm concerned, the cow should be a weapon, not a skin. Wind it up and send it running into the enemy. Moo my a$$.

Oops, I'm getting off topic for this thread as it HASN'T BEEN MOVED YET!!!!!!!!!!!

bullet2.gif

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
I found my bellybutton!!!!

I have long hair (damn hippy), and I had to pull it into a ponytail for work. But I pulled it too tight, pulling all my skin up, up, up. So my bellybutton wound up on my forehead.

Luckily nobody noticed, they were too busy complimenting me on my tie. ;)

*ba dum dum* (a drum rimshot, for my bad joke).

Get it??? My tie???

If my bellybutton moved up to my forehead....

Ah nevermind :)

bullet2.gif

Clan [Boom]
The undisputed, undefeated, world champion, 1on1, UT clan.
[Boom]Boom|PuF

Sam_The_Man

Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
Hyperspace and DM-Hyperblast... The ship is not travelling through hyperspace, because you certainly couldn't survive outside in hyperspace, shields or no shields. The words bear as much relevance to each other as hyperspace and hypermarket.

Time compression: In time compression past, present and future get mixed together. This has nothing to do with time passing slowly. Nor does it have anything to do with file compression. In file compression your files do not get mixed together. At least, I hope not, or I dread to think what those zip files have done to my hard drive...

Do not argue with me about time compression, because I have played FF8 through twice. And I still haven't found all those damn GFs...

Navels: Boom could have been a test tube baby, so NYAH. And 'navel' does not mean 'naval'. Sounding like another word has no place in this thread where we are seriously discussing quantum physics. And navels.

bullet2.gif

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
Boom, a necktie? ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

I thought it was a pimple. :)

Sam:

The ships have shields. Don't you watch Star Trek?

If time moves slowly(er) in the game, regular time keeps going. Therefore, when you turn off the slomo game, everyone else is that much further into the future, leaving you in the past, thereby compressing time.

Naval Oranges. There, now naval is official.

Once again: MOVE THE THREAD!

bullet2.gif

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
How can anyone talk about such crap and nonsense. I got a headache of reading this topic!( Get a doctor for me please ;))
I can't believe that this post got 90 replies. Oh NO, now it has one reply more!

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
Morety you moron (...uhm :)), we haven't got a time machine to page 1...oops, here it is, now go and get your medicine (you may, since you have read all that crap and now you really need it...)

And Sam...you're boring :), but besides that:

About Hyperspace/Hyperblast:
You certainly can survive outside (at least I can...), since there are shields (as Morety mentioned) and this is obviously the eason why you aren't sucked out into space instantly, and you can breathe outside, right? So there have to be shields (or prove me wrong...)!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>In time compression past, present and future get mixed together<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Have you ever heard of U4E4UT (hell I like this name :)). It's a mod where weapons of many times are put together (you have a pike, a machinegun, a_nuke (oops ;)), phasers...whatever you like.
&lt;sarcasm&gt;And I thought the time is compressed when everything is faster...man you proved me wrong, of course is FF8 right, no doubt, yeah FF8 is my god, it shows you all the secrets of life it tells you all about travelling through time, and it is right...&lt;/sarcasm&gt; not meant offensive ;)

And like I mentioned before:
If Boom's navel went boom, it has something to do with UT, since blowing up things (mostly ppl of the enemy team) is the purpose of UT...but I've already said that.

Loibisch

MOVE IT!

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
A PIMPLE?!?!?!

Get outta here.

That's the world famous Boomstick you are talking about!

Jeez, I'm walking around with my bellybutton on my forehead, and wearing the Boomstick as a necktie and only one person notices.

I must counter Morety's small Boomstick joke with a big Boomstick joke.

*Ahem* I was recently at the doctor, because I have a sore back. He said I gotta pee sitting down now....

I'm not allowed to lift anything that heavy.

*ba dum dum*

bullet2.gif

Clan [Boom]
The undisputed, undefeated, world champion, 1on1, UT clan.
[Boom]Boom|PuF

Sam_The_Man

Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
Of course FF8 is the answer to everything! If it only lasted as long as UT it would be the best game ever, period. I had to stop myself playing so much of it so I wouldn't complete it within a few days...

Shields. I doubt even the best shields would prevent you from dying in hyperspace.

UT4E: So if I held a sword from a museum, made in about 1200AD in one hand, and a gun in the other, I would be compressing time? Don't talk $h1t.

Time is not actually slowed down when you use the slomo command, because UT is just a game, not a universe, and is therefore subject to the laws of this universe. Therefore it is simply an illusion of time being slowed down, because actual time is passing at the same speed as usual (i.e. too fast... damn I need some sleep... no, must play UT some more... :)).

bullet2.gif

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
Sam...we have to talk ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Time compression: In time compression past, present and future get mixed together.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, so what. If "I held a sword from a museum, made in about 1200AD in one hand, and a gun in the other" i would mix together stuff from different times i.e. past present and future...

Prove me that ther are no shields that can protect you from Hyperspace...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>UT is just a game, not a universe<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Never heard of Unreal Universe?
And isn't the setting of some games called their universe?

Loibisch

:)

Sam_The_Man

Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
Yes, but the old medieval sword would exist in this time, not the time in which it was made, and you would simply be holding objects from the same time in each hand. My argument was that it is possible for two different objects to co-exist even if they were not made at eactly the same time. Compressing time means to mix different _times_ together, not objects made at different times.

Shields: No idea. I will have to resort to cat-calling "Trekkie! Trekkie!".

Unreal Universe is a website, not a universe. 'Universe' is just what it is called.

bullet2.gif

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
As you said: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>My argument was that it is possible for two different objects to co-exist even if they were not made at eactly the same time<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, for example "a sword from a museum, made in about 1200AD" and "a gun". I really doubt they were made at the same time, right? But they still coexist, right?
So what's your point then? :)

I'm not a Trekkie, but I guess I have won the argument that there maybe could be shields that prevent you from dying in hyperspace. You can't know what scientists will invent in about 50 years...noone can, but scientists have proven in the past that they can invent things normal people don't even think of, like shields for surviving in hyperspace :).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Unreal Universe is a website, not a universe. 'Universe' is just what it is called.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, and "universe" is just what the universe is called... :). So you want to tell me that the universe isn't a universe, since it is called universe, right? FORGET IT! ;)

Loibisch

Where are the others that used to post here? :)

Sam_The_Man

Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
Yes, but I call myself Sam The Man, but I'm only 15. The Dopefish isn't a fish (otherwise he'd have great difficulty posting). Boom isn't an explosion. Morety is not Sherlock Holmes's arch-enemy (neither actually existed). Therefore Unreal Universe can be _called_ a Universe without actually _being_ a universe.

My point about swords is that you said in UT4E, objects from different times coexisted, so that was time compression. I say that it isn't, because of the sword and gun argument. Plus, you are looking at posts on this thread that were posted at different times, but that isn't time compression is it?

OK, you win the argument about hyperpsace. But I think I can claim to have won the time compression argument. That leaves us with the argument about the slomo command. It's 1-all, this an exciting match fans... watch this space.

bullet2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.