Check your fire! is Not always a team m8

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gullonefox

TBUILDT Webmaster/Mapper
Nov 27, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Hi there Guys at the Inf team:)
I have a suggestion here which I must put forward.
When your in game and and you spot someone at a distance and you open fire you may somtimes be unlucky enough to get the sound come over FRENDLY FIRE! This has happend to me a few times :( I have stoped firing as I dont like to tk :)
and the guy who I was shooting at kills me, I then realise it was and enemy player!
I put 2 and 2 together, it was a team m8 somwhere else shooting and hit a member of the same team at the same time I was shooting at the enemy.. The Broadcast of CHECK YOUR FIRE is made to the whole team and I think im shooting a team m8 :( so Would it be better to make the "FF/CYF" broadcast to the player who is shooting the team m8 and not to the entire team?
Thanks for your time dudes!

A

asmodeus

Yeah!!

Also, if you have a tm8 in your crosshair and use a binging, it should add his name!

And ummm theres not enough vocal commands, here whats I think is missing badly (more is better!)

"Got your back"
"cover me"

"Retribution is my middle name"

H

Hypenotist

Yeah and...

I'd just like the target identification feature to work from farther away, as it is now it only works from short distances. Makes sniping hard when you see a head pop up in a window and don't know to shoot or not. I usually shoot anyway :D

D

Dire Wolf

Please don't join the army then...

BTW Target identification is good at close range because hey, you can't identify someone really when you can't make out their face - it is more realistic this way.

Now with sniper rifles you should get an ID because you are zoomed in close enough to make out who it is - unless even after zooming you can't make the player out...

Dire Wolf

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Guess how you make the ID? By using your eyes that ID tag will have to go, it's not realistic at all.

<A HREF="http://www.rlgaming.com" TARGET=_blank>
page

Reviewer, Contributing Columnist Real Life Gaming</A>

Newcomers please check here before asking questions that might allready have been answered,
a little effort goes a long way.

F

fissionproductions

I second that notion. If you don't know who it is then you are not communicating well enough with your squad. I know because in field exercises when you are in full gear and all camoed up, it is very hard to distinguish individuals, so communication is the key. Usually it is safe to say if they're wearing a different colored shirt than you, chances are they are the enemy. But why would you need to know who a person is on the other team? It is not a good practice to play favorites in wartime.
But in response to the first post, yes I would like to have something like:
"PLAYERSNAME! Watch your fire!"

-Fission

[This message was edited by FissionProductions on Mar 27, 2001 at 04:12.]

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Get rid of the ID tag, ow stupid is that!?!? The game doesnt have the res or detail to ID team members using your eyes. The only way to tell exactly whos who, is to use the ID :p

angryfire.gif
LordKhaine
angryfire.gif

"There is no peace among the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter and the laughter of the thirsting gods."

GhostDog

Mar 26, 2001
ID Tags

There absolutley SHOULD be ID tags at a distance or otherwise. Here's why: the screen resolution cannot match the visual power your eyes (especially when you're aided by a scope). I was a soldier, and when I saw the enemy during military exercises, I knew them for what they were. ID tags make up for the poor resolution of your monitor as compared to your actual vision. I play INF at 640x480, any greater and the game becomes unplayable. I am frequently unable to correctly judge who my enemies are at distances that I would *realistically* be able to identify the enemy. Since realism is what we're going for here, ID Tags server that purpose well

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Hmmm there is this thing called colour you know. Unless both teams are wearing the same camo saying that they are indistinguishable is just plain BS.

page

Newcomers please check here before asking questions that might allready have been answered,

Ray_Wilson

Dec 8, 1999
Classified
Visit site
yeh yeh

But thats why there are different faces and "head gear" but hmmm Communicating is the key who ever said that was right but in future combat (starting now) every soldier is wearing a tag (computer chip) and a lill computer detects if it is the enemy or friend all you have to do is aim the laser and watch the meter =) :D

IDcardRay2.jpg

I did my best still not good enough!

DredDamo

Nov 30, 2000
www.damodred.net
Arg.

Fur, turn your res down to 640x480 and run in software mode, lowest color res and low detail with black camo on one team and dark green on the other in say, the new Dockside map where it's fairly dark anyway.

Until a totally even playing field can be established where everyone's system can actually make out a FACE! on the other side of EP like Wilson's apparently can :p, then we'll just have to use the tags for ID'ing. It's not like they work from farther away anyhoo, so what're you steamed up about!?

I would actually vote to increase the range at which they work, and definitely turn them on in the scope (nothing happens when scoped in on a player for me).

Damodred

sig.jpg

---
www.damodred.net

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
I run at 800x600 and that is pretty low end allready, sorry pal but time moves on.

Inf is trying to be as realistic as possible and to halt advance or worse compromise the goals of inf, because a small percentage can't run it...

page

Hannibal

Jan 6, 2000
Visit site
ID's and teamplayers

I think the ID tags are necessary because they aid communication between team members. Without tags, each player would have to wear something distinct, and this would still only work when the team knew each other well. ID's are absolutely crucial for team play.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
No they are not, you identify friend and foe by their uniform like IRL. This is very hard at range, guess why people stay in teams?

page

Dracil

First Poster of new INF forums
Jan 14, 2000
Taiwan, now in UC Berkeley
About the firing on someone and hearing "Friendly Fire"? I know some people who have it bound to a key, which they press when they get shot at, even if it's the enemy.

INF3.gif

GhostDog

Mar 26, 2001
Colours

As per one of the posts stated, try distinguishing between say Woodland and Black at a distance at the resolution that was mentioned on a darkish map; you can't do it consistently. Your glib response aside, there is still a problem with identifying using a scope. Given the same conditions, it's very difficult to tell ally from enemy even though it wouldn't be IRL (as you put it). ID tagging does indeed help with realism (see previous post) by mitigating the disparity between human ability and hardware ability, moreover ID tags help with the proper flow of gameplay; i.e. the right people get shot. In addition, properly implemented ID tags would leave no refuge for the sub-human teamkiller who claims "I didn't know"

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
IRL most countries use rougly the same type of camo, and at the ranges combat takes place it is even harder to distinguish. That's where comunication comes in. They don't have instand identifir tags just because they can't see clear.

Remember the gulf-war incidents in which an apache wiped out a bradly and it's occupants (gunned down with the 30mm when they ran away).
That is because of miscomunication.

Guess it's not that easy to tell the difference between friend and foe huh.

page

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
yeah well...

Who can type and shoot at the same time?
And who can read and shoot at the same time?
I get all worked up for INF, and my finger starts to itch. I don't usually pay attention to what is "said" while I'm alive looking for the enemy. And typing leaves me open to get shot. And if the team colors are really close, and it's dark, I've been known to kill a teammate here and there. Not everybody has mad Fur skillz, so the tags are nice, and could be better if they were compatible with the scopes. It's a video game, you have to draw the "real" line somewhere. It will never be real unless your actually doing it. And to simulate reality with the Unreal engine, you've got to give the INF team props for what they have done.
Jaymian

www.bartkus.net/chopchop

sig.jpg