BeyondUnreal Podcast

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I am going to be organizing and hosting a weekly YouTube podcast. The Unreal Tournament community is larger than just BeyondUnreal, and I want to help provide all of us a better platform to reach and interact with the larger community.

Each episode will cover the weekly news as a community supplement to the videos that Epic puts out. I will invite guests from the community using Google Hangout to share their views on the game, or highlight content they have created. Eventually the podcast can be a launching platform for the new FragBU, BeyondUnreal game servers, and Twitch.tv network.

I will record the first episode on Saturday night.

I want to give everyone a chance to be involved. Want to help? Here's how:

Volunteer as a guest. Reply here with your interest in being interviewed along with a description of what you want to discuss.

Graphics and video expertise. I've done a bit of streaming and video capture in the past, but my artistic expertise is more in audio. Any graphics or animations would be appreciated.

Start recording. Twitch is a huge part of the new gaming community. Start now learning how to stream and record video using the program Open Broadcast Software. In the future I'd like to try incorporating your streams and gameplay footage.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think it's a great idea. I would love to help as much as I can. I had plans to do a BU podcast before, and Selerox and I did one episode of it, but it was too much effort with little help and it ended up dying.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I remember that, and it was good. I guess back then was a less exciting time for UT. Plus gaming communities were different. Gaming channels are much more popular these days.

The good news is that I don't have much else going on besides Planetside. Plus I have a bit of help from my wife who has lots of film friends, and is going to start an ASMR channel. So I'll do the hard stuff. All you guys have to do is what you've always done :D

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
BeyondUnreal Broadcast

Like Brizz said, we've done this before :) The problem we had was that as both of us were of different sides of the Atlantic, it made doing the show logistically challenging ;)

I still have the show outlines and the original recordings if you want them.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I'm going to record on Saturday afternoons. That should give the Euro players a chance to participate. If there's anyone that wants to participate this week hit me up, otherwise I'll go ahead with my plans to do it solo this week on my youtube.com/twdsje channel.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I can probably give you access to upload those to the BU channel if you want to make it official. Let's see how the first one goes and then decide.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
That's awesome TWD. There's a lot of community effort going right now to breath life back into BU, as a more serious Unreal discussion area. We even got mentioned during the announcement of the new UT, which owns.

If you need help with Photoshop type stuff, I can probably help you out :)

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Brizz and I got together tonight and made a great recording. It's about 40 minutes. Now working on editing the audio and adding some background video. Hopefully I get it out in the next day or two. I've never edited video before, and lightworks is a very intimidating program. So any advice on the video front will be greatly appreciated.

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
great idea.
What I'd suggest is having a theme for each podcast, and giving it in advance (1 week for instance). Everyone can send their opinion/questions through a forum thread or an e-mail. You could then pick some and discuss them in the podcast.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
I missed this thread. Which isn't much of a wonder, since I'm busy over at the official forums.

I'm willing to participate and be interviewed, but I really need to know the time. Since I'm in Europe, the early evening for you guys is very late at night over here. So I'll put myself on 'maybe' depending how that turns out. :)

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
OK, I've listened to the first podcast (thanks google+).
the feedback I have to give is :
- the background noise is really too loud.
- the discussion covered maybe too much or at least didn't bring anything new to the UT4 thought-process, IMO. Having a single item of discussion would be more interesting.

Ideas for next podcasts :
- discussing WHILE playing UT99 for 30 minutes (deathmatch, CTF, 4v4, assault).
- same for UT2004 and UT3. + An episode on the feelings after playing the 3 games. what's the next gameplay evolution ?
- how important is bot support ? I know I've played UT99 exculsively offline, and I bet there are plenty of people who are shy and just want to have fun exploding bots. However, is it necessary for the game to be popular ?
- how naked can the game be ? should every game mode be available through the marketplace ? having an "EPIC Official" Assault, DM, CTF, ONS modes and maps ? meaning that someone who just wants to play Assault doesn't need to get the rest to play. He just installs the base + navigates through the marketplace for what he wants.

- With a monetized marketplace, what's the DRM going to be ? install mods only through the marketplace ?

- Discussion on the marketplace : mods, mutators, map packs, skins. What about their visibility ? do we need another MSUC ?

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
[m]http://youtu.be/l35PO-ORAf8[/m]

A few things for next time:

Shorter. We had lots to say, but next episode will only be 10-20 minutes.

Start earlier. I stayed up so late I don't know how I'll make it through the day.

I need better quality video, preferably with video of the prototypes we are talking about. I'll be working on learning more about video this week.

I accidentally left the mic on in the video so you can hear me laughing.

Background noise should maybe be a little softer.

The audio turned out better than I thought. You can kinda tell that we recorded it in the back of a car, but I was able to bake perfect edits and mastering on it.

There was good discussion that I think gave some insight into Epic's inner workings that I really enjoyed.

In terms of topics that will be based solely on who we are bringing on, and what Epic is focused on that week. Right now that happens to be movement. We will look at all the comments and address them in next week's podcast. The best place to leave such comments is on the video itself.

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
The ingame audio is way too loud bru.

e: haha 3 minutes Brizz is really getting into detail, and you start spamming nali cows, nearly muting his voice :D

e2: great podcast anyhow. I definitely think you have something here. I'd love to see you put some more work into it, I really think this could go places. Definitely try to get some Epic guys on!

As you said yourself, the podcast is a little long, you could probably shave 10 or 20 minutes off of that.
I think you should try to talk more about the older games. With this new UT, we are going to have a ton of new players coming in, who don't really understand what UT is at all. Talk about gamemodes, weapons, maps, have some videos of that stuff and so on. You already talked about the movement system a lot, that was awesome.
Try to get the core of what makes UT so interesting, and why it isn't just Quake's crazy cousin.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Next week we will try to have a better outline of what we are going to discuss. This time was a little schizo because we wanted to introduce the show AND discuss some things.

Also, we aren't pros at this yet. Ideally the show will improve as we go :)

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Next week we will try to have a better outline of what we are going to discuss. This time was a little schizo because we wanted to introduce the show AND discuss some things.

Also, we aren't pros at this yet. Ideally the show will improve as we go :)

Absolutely, I did not want to come off as heavily criticizing, just throwing ideas at you guys :)

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
We've already recorded and mastered the audio for episode 2, and I'll be doing the video editing today.

I could really use more video footage. I've been recording my own play sessions, but it just isn't enough. It would be nice if I could get video footage from the rest of the community, but I don't know how we would share the files. Any ideas?