Tomb Raider clip

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
The game is a mess for nvidia owners. Weird psychedelic colors, tressfx halving your fps while looking pretty poopy, crashing. And apparently it was because Nvidia weren't given a copy of the games code till close to release. I smell something fishy and it wasn't the fish I had for supper either.

I have a 680 and it runs perfectly fine, apart from the crashes. But those went away when I turned off tesselation.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Just beat it. Steam timer clocks it in at 15 hours. That's pretty solid these days.

Game was utterly fantastic. Does it beat Uncharted? No, I don't think so. I think Uncharted handles the action sequences and big set pieces better, but TR comes close.

The new Lara definitely gets my vote as best female gaming character of all time. She looks amazing, realistic, and gets properly covered in dirt and blood throughout her adventure. It's nice to see a young and vulnerable Lara. Reminds me of Katniss Everdeen, especially with the bow (and what a tremendous addition the bow is). Great portrayal of emotion throughout, and terrific voice acting.

As of right now, my GOTY pick for 2013. :tup:

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
I'm definitely planning another play through after the new Nvidia drivers release. Perhaps bow only. Also wanna try hooking it up to my TV and playing with a controller. Keyboard and mouse was waaay too easy, even on hard mode.

Another thing I wanted to mention is the cover system. I feel like this is the next evolutionary step for cover systems and all future games should follow. It's a seamless system requiring no button presses at all. Just move towards an object during combat and Lara automatically crouches down. Move away and she gets up. Aim near the edge of a wall and she automatically leans to get a better view. It's beautiful! No more of this "press X to snap to wall" BS.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I always use my 360 controller for games like this. Just finished AC3 using it.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I always use my 360 controller for games like this. Just finished AC3 using it.

I try to always use my 360 controller. I just don't enjoy sitting at the PC these days. I like a good PC game on my TV, with my 360 controller, sitting in my recliner.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I finished it a couple days ago with 77% completion. TL;DR: It was fantastic the entire way through and you should buy it right now. Now onto the real review.

This game is a lot like FarCry 3 in terms of gameplay and character progression, the most noticeable difference being the third-person perspective. Even the plot is somewhat similar, but as the plot in Tomb Raider progresses you'll find that it doesn't center around simple pirates. The plot is interesting enough, but there are times where it's fairly obvious to the player what is going on way before Lara or the other survivors make the connection. It's kind of like a "Zombie apocalypse story that takes place in a universe where zombie fiction doesn't exist" type of thing.

The gameplay is fantastic overall. Third-person combat and cover systems take a cue from games like Gears of War, but it works well. Movement controls feel tight across the board (I played with an X360 controller) and it's fairly easy to get Lara across herculean obstacles. Like Jason Brody, Lara will often comment on objects in her environment or things happening around her but she tends to do it in a much less whiny/bro way, which is nice.

The environments are very detailed and loose objects in the world play an important role in getting Lara from one side of the map to the other. The island itself is spectacular and filled to the brim with misc. objects and details (even more-so than FarCry 3 in my opinion.) The bunkers in particular look fantastic; whereas FarCry 3's decrepit Japanese bunkers play a small part in the environment and lack small details, the bunkers in Tomb Raider play a fairly large role in the game and are brimming with small details.

The puzzles were mostly two-minute-or-less exercises, but also clever and varied enough to not feel boring. There were a couple that took me a good ten minutes or more and multiple attempts to figure out. Climbable objects and pathways are clearly marked, but not in a bad way like FarCry 3's hanging ropes on ledges. Still, sometimes it takes a few minutes to realize where you need to go or how to get there. Using the Survival Instincts mode (similar to the Detective mode in the Batman: Arkham series) helps, but sometimes it still leaves things up to the player to figure out. This is a good thing in my opinion; I've gotten sick of games holding my hand. Others might not like it so much.

The visual quality is on par with Far Cry 3 and easily surpasses it in some places, all while running smoother on the same hardware. I played the game most of the way through with everything except TressFX/AA/AF cranked up to the highest settings and I had good framerates on my HD5850. 50-60fps was the norm, very rarely dropping below those numbers at least in the early game.

Later on there are a couple large areas that lag pretty hard, my framerates were dropping to the mid-teens in these areas. Switching the 'Level of Detail' setting to High from Ultra made my framerates go up into the 30s in these areas, which is acceptable. It may have been poor optimization that will be fixed by a future patch, but I believe it was just the huge size and extensive detail in those areas that is to blame. Still, it's a consistency issue and I'm sure Crystal Dynamics will address it.

The QTEs do get annoying sometimes but the game keeps them to a minimum. More on that in the spoiler.

The end boss fight is fairly crap, it's the "Tap X to Survive" kind instead of an actual boss fight. I wanted to kill the bad guy myself, but meh.
The rest of the game more than makes up for these few shortcomings.

All in all, this was a fantastic game. I give it 8/10. I deducted a point each, one for the lack of consistency in performance and one for the spoiler content.

Last edited:

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Good review. I look forward to nothing more than the sequel. I'm also itching to play it again now that Nvidia has released proper drivers for it. But I'll wait until I'm done with Bioshock Infinite.

I've been on a Tomb Raider binge ever since this game released. I went back and played Legend again (which is terrible, IMO), and played Underworld for the first time (which is a vast improvement). I mean Legend does have fun moments, but then it has some of the worst moments in the history of gaming. The motorcycle sequences! My god those were bad.

Underworld was more of a true Tomb Raider. It has the most complex climbing mechanics out of any TR game and puzzles that you really need to think about. The scuba diving sequences were especially impressive.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I forgot to mention sound and music, which were also done well. The music isn't invasive compared to a lot of games so it's easy to forget about it. The sound and voice acting is on par with other triple-A releases and doesn't disappoint.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I played a bit of, too. I like it very much, more than I expected I would. The initial QTE nightmare almost made me quit, but then it became good. Never used the spoiler button ("Q") and it feels like playing a normal game. I'm like 5% in and if it remains as good or gets better, than I can't wait to get back to it (ArmA3 was a bit distractive).

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
I forgot to mention sound and music, which were also done well. The music isn't invasive compared to a lot of games so it's easy to forget about it. The sound and voice acting is on par with other triple-A releases and doesn't disappoint.

No HUD is nice too, very clean look, keeps you 100% focused on the environment.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/tomb-raider-fails-to-reach-sales-target-6405929

Companies need to stop setting their sales expectations to CoD level and start thinking realistically. Since when was 3.4 million units still considered bad?

First the news was like "OMG TR sells 1 million copies in the first 48 hours" and now this? Ridiculous. Hope it doesn't affect the sequel.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I played a bit of, too. I like it very much, more than I expected I would. The initial QTE nightmare almost made me quit, but then it became good. Never used the spoiler button ("Q") and it feels like playing a normal game. I'm like 5% in and if it remains as good or gets better, than I can't wait to get back to it (ArmA3 was a bit distractive).

I'm guessing by 'spoiler button' you mean the Survival Instincts mode. I used it quite a lot during my playthrough, it does help you find hidden entrances and things you might miss otherwise. I don't consider it a spoiler at all. It doesn't allow you to see through walls or anything like that.

No HUD is nice too, very clean look, keeps you 100% focused on the environment.

This too. There is a HUD but it's minimal and only seems to pop in at certain times when you have a weapon drawn.

First the news was like "OMG TR sells 1 million copies in the first 48 hours" and now this? Ridiculous. Hope it doesn't affect the sequel.

Same here. I thought 3.4 million copies in the first month was a huge success?

I'd love to see a sequel to this Tomb Raider franchise. I need to go back and play some of the TR sequels that have come out in the last ten years.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I'm in the game couple of hours.

The QTE's and shaky cinematics make me wanna quit on the spot. The shaky cam when running is just annoying.

Gameplay parts are good, by far not as exciting and interesting as the ancient tomb explorations from some of the prequels.

I'd say good game, but mediocre and a big disappointment for true TR fans (as I expected, so my expectations were low). I'm glad I got it cheaper as an import, not worth full price for me, but the fact that I keep playing speaks for the game and is quite an achievement (I tend to be extremely annoyed and impatient with modern game bullsh#t).

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Welp, there's always UT.

It may have come off too negative, but I think it depends on who you are. If you are a die hard TR fan, than you are going to be disappointed. If you are a modern age gamer (being fine with QTE, mini-cutscenes, lot's of drama and emotion), than you might like the game paying full price. If you don't like the achievements of modern gaming, than I'd say TR is still a good game and you may want to try it when it's on sale.

To give a comparison. In my opinion Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a game worth paying full price on day one (just so that you know that I don't hate every new game).

As for QTE's in TR. You have these parts of cinematic annoyance, but then lengthy true to TR gameplay periods in between, where you can actually just play in peace. So that's a good thing.

I'm guessing by 'spoiler button' you mean the Survival Instincts mode. I used it quite a lot during my playthrough, it does help you find hidden entrances and things you might miss otherwise. I don't consider it a spoiler at all. It doesn't allow you to see through walls or anything like that..

Guess I'm not a perfectionist, because I don't care about a full score and finding all of the items. I know for sure I missed some things, but finding and figuring things out by my self gives me a greater sense of accomplishment and immersion, where knowing (or not knowing) that some secrets may be still left makes me feel like the world that I'm moving through has more depth.

Most gamers like to be in control and figure everything out, where I prefer to let go of control, drift away and be immersed.

To each its own, I guess. :tup:

Last edited: