Shock Combos...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
:shock:
This thread is all about... you guessed it... shock combos. So far I have picked up 3 key things when doing combos. All of the suggestions (and a couple videos) made by other members are, also, copied here in one post for your convenience. Here you go:

1. DO NOT make huge adjustments while aiming or try to follow the ball with your crosshair.

2. Lead the ball instead of following it. Try to pick a spot somewhere ahead of the path of the ball where you want it to detonate.

3. Let the ball slide into your crosshair and the instant it hits the middle point of it, fire! (you can also follow it a little bit before you fire if you like. JUST A LITTLE!)

These are the rules I try to follow anyway. All of the suggestions made so far are below.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
For an easy combo, you can fire and wait for the ball to go where you want it to be, and detonate, so you get 100% chance to hit it. While waiting, though, you're limited to only forward and backward movements.
You can also go into third person view to get rid of the Z axis, but that way you'll have less control over where you shoot and you will miss if you get on any higher or lower ground. (suggestion by: GreatEmerald)
practice running around offline with no xhair until you can routinely hit moving combo's.
if that's too hard keep the xhair until you start finding it easy then drop it.
after a while you'll just 'know' when the ball is in the middle of the screen. (suggestion by: KaL976)
My combo method usually goes, dodge, fire shockball 1 second before I land, combo it. It's almost as easy as a standing combo, but you're not standing still either.

It's nice dodging around a corner and you've already mapped out the combo on the unsuspecting player. (suggestion by: gades)
Some things to try:
- Practice combos on low grav. maps.
- Spam two balls if you're unsure where a player is heading and choose the one that's closest to them.
- Shoot primary or spam a ball into a player. Then pull off a combo while they try to regain control.
- Try placing a shock ball just below head height on the left or right. Then try exploding balls above players or very close to the ground.
- Practice waiting as long as possible before detonating a ball.
- Adjust your mouse speed so you don't miss a lot but are still able to spin around to tackle someone on your rear.
- Don't listen to the people that whine about stand-combos. If you can pull off a moving combo, great, but they aren't suited to every situation.
- Kneeling can help when aiming. It's often done in ut1 rocket arena.
- Practice spamming lots of balls into the face of anyone trailing you with minigun/linkgun. (suggestion by: Azura)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showp...&postcount=280 (video posted by: Defeat)
Crowded hall/elevator, try a double combo. Fire two shock balls close together hit the first then the second. (suggestion by: NegativeTrend)
1 tip

stock up on Ammo (suggestion by: TurdDrive)
I have figured something that it may make noobs life easier, like me.

when doing a combo don't center the pointer on the core, just make it a little bit upper and more left.
you can see why is that, if you played ONS-Dria (or any large map) and released a core without combo it. (use a custom pointer, make it a black cross)
you will notice that the core will not be in the center of the pointer. it goes to the right bottom corner of the pointer (the black cross). (suggestion by: Rawashdeh_omar)
watch out for other people who shock combo your own balls

in other words he shoots your ball as soon as you fire it

thus killing you. (suggestion by: TurdDrive)
Shove balls in front of other people so they combo themselves.

And don't hit other people's balls.... (suggestion by: gades)
Happy Shocking!
:shock:

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
For an easy combo, you can fire and wait for the ball to go where you want it to be, and detonate, so you get 100% chance to hit it. While waiting, though, you're limited to only forward and backward movements.
You can also go into third person view to get rid of the Z axis, but that way you'll have less control over where you shoot and you will miss if you get on any higher or lower ground.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
absolutely. but if you do that, not only will the ball be an easy target you will be too. Thats why i try to practice dodging and sidestepping while comboing.

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
practice running around offline with no xhair until you can routinely hit moving combo's.
if that's too hard keep the xhair until you start finding it easy then drop it.
after a while you'll just 'know' when the ball is in the middle of the screen.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I know, I use WoRM 2k4 arena which gives me unlimited ammo for the weapon I choose so I don't have to interrupt my practice session to get some :p. But why would you want no xhair though? Is it easier?

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
hmm, that is a very good strategy now I have come to think about it. Thx for the tip. Anyone else have anything they would like to add at all? (btw I was wondering if I could get this stickied in case anybody else would like to find out how to improve their comboing abilities.) And are my 3 points on the right track?

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
3.Let the ball slide into your crosshair and the instant it hits the middle point of it, fire!

Best approach imo. Once you get good at that, you can try all the crazy stuff. Avoid focusing on the xhair though. It's what's behind that's important.

gades

The Grudge Master!
Nov 20, 2004
Behind you biatch!!
My combo method usually goes, dodge, fire shockball 1 second before I land, combo it. It's almost as easy as a standing combo, but you're not standing still either.

It's nice dodging around a corner and you've already mapped out the combo on the unsuspecting player.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
How long does it usually take to "get good at it" ;)

It depends on what you mean by good. From personal experience, I'd say it's more a question of things clicking one day. Being able to dodge without a second thought helps.

Some things to try:
- Practise combos on low grav maps.
- Spam two balls if you're unsure where a player is heading and choose the one that's closest to them.
- Shoot primary or spam a ball into a player. Then pull of a combo while they try to regain control.
- Try placing a shock ball just below head height on the left or right. Then try exploding balls above players or very close to the ground.
- Practise waiting as long as possible before detonating a ball.
- Adjust your mouse speed so you don't miss a lot but are still able to spin around to tackle someone on your rear.
- Don't listen to the people that whine about standcombos. If you can pull off a moving combo, great, but they aren't suited to every situation.
- Kneeling can help when aiming. It's often done in ut1 rocket arena.
- Practise spamming lots of balls into the face of anyone trailing you with minigun/linkgun.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
AAAGGGHHH. Everybody is posting all these great strats. and tips but nobody has answered my question on how to get a sticky. :p :)