Motion sickness in UT

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DD

Goober
May 29, 2000
I use to get sick when I first started playing Doom 2, my first FPS. I would play until I got real nauseated with a bad headache- usually after about 30 minutes. Q1 and Q2 did the same thing. Funny thing is I didn't stop playing at all even though I felt like I was about to puke:D

UT has never given me a problem. :)

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
Originally posted by /\MM/\GETS\/M
...from breathing excercises to relaxing your eyes to smoking marijuana.

LOL...I'm the only person to catch this? Brilliant! lol

Truthfully though, I've never had a problem playing 1st person games, although I can't watch someone else play them. I first noticed then when my buddy and bought Turok for the N64. I had no problem playing it, but when I watched my buddy play I felt ill.

-I_AM{skullface}

Boogey

Talvin Singh fanboy
Aug 31, 2000
Visit site
I can play any sort of game on my pc, where I'm sitting in upright position, but when I'm lying down on my back playing console games on my 33" telly, I can only withstand an hour or so before my stomach starts to get upset. Especially wipeout and mario64 gets me.

While I don't think it'd ever make me puke, it's bad enough to take away the joy of playing, so it's real annoying.

It's a odd feeling, and while it doesn't feel exactly like when being motionsick, it's not far from it either.

And I DO also get motionsick when being in a car and reading book.

iolair

Mostly Harmless
Jun 4, 2001
Asturias, España
neil.gratton.org
No motion sickness, but vertigo.

I get vertigo on top of the towers in Face, even though I don't get it in real life! I think it's because of the rotating star field background, if I'm facing the wrong way on top of the tower it makes me feel like I'm falling backwards, very freaky!

Regarding motion sickness, I remember reading an old FAQ (can't remember for which first person game) that this is more common if you have the head-bob turned off; turning it back on can fix the problem. I've had no problems with motion sickness though .... real life or computing. Do the people that get it on computers get it in real life too?

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Only time I've been motion sick in real life was on a C-5 Galaxy (HUGE cargo plane where you sit facing the tail) on our way to The Azores (en route to Egypt). The turbulence got REAL bad for a fair bit and made me slightly naseous.

Other than that, nuthin'.

iolair

Mostly Harmless
Jun 4, 2001
Asturias, España
neil.gratton.org
I've just been doing a little reading round the web, and as stated earlier, there's actually quite a lot on this... but most relevant for sufferers:

http://www.cyberedge.com/4a7a.html
suggests that changes to your Field of View setting or Framerate may change the severity of the problem.

The field-of-view issue mainly seems to be due to the size of the viewed area; where higher is more likely to lead to sickness. So possibly larger monitors may also make the problem worse; or perhaps sitting further away from the monitor may improve things.

Low framerate causes "visual lag" and can be a problem; sounds like a good excuse for a computer upgrade!!

Fluid

Zen fascists will control you
Aug 2, 2000
Maastricht, the Netherlands
I get dizzy after a while of playing UT, and then, the UT camera starts to feel like a normal extension of my vision, as if I were "in" the game...last game I had that with was Sonic 2 for Megadrive I think :hmm:

Marx

I never ever lost that bonus level in sonic 2 because every1 else seemed to get too dizzy to see straight and starts to lose dramatically. That was always my only way to win. I have a cast iron stomach and I think it's rustin'.

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
Another thing that helps is to move yourself further back from the monitor.

The more of your peripheral vision that's taken up by the screen image, the more likely you are to get motion sickness, which is why it pops up for people going to see IMAX films compared to regular movies.

REeeE{skullface}

p-REeeE-dictable
Feb 28, 2001
SF, CA
Visit site
My girlfriend played the SP laddr onenight, got pretty good too. After about 2 hrs she had beaten 7 maps..she was a first time fps player. She got so sick though :( cant even play a minute now without getting sick...

Ree

TheKLF99

Jul 24, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by Rooster
In the good-ole-days, Descent got most people - but oddly enough, never bothered me - I guess I love flight stuff too much.

Yes I remember Descent, all my mates used to play that and I couldn't stand it about 5-10 minutes was my limit.

TheKLF99

Jul 24, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by SimplyCosmic
which is why it pops up for people going to see IMAX films compared to regular movies.

I went to see Cyberworld 3D at IMAX recently but didn't feel motion sick then... hmmm... freaky, I did go a bit dizzy at times but didn't throw up, yet when I got back home and watched the film I shot of London I ended up throwing up after watching it for 5 minutes 'cos my camcorder skills aren't too good and the picture was bobbing all over the place (recorded in 16x9 mode, watched on a surround sound 16x9 tele).