Freebsd access statistics

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[SOB]Grunt_X

SOB Clan Officer
Sep 6, 2000
www.theonlinegaming.com
What I don't like about BSD is the license. Now granted, BSD uses a lot of GPL products and you can use most linux binaries, but the only thing BSD is 'really' good for is a rock solid server platform. And the problem with that is that it's more intolerant of hardware and tends to lag slightly in supporting new hardware features.

EVERY OS has a time / place for its' use!

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
Ok, this one is kinda borderlind, but I'm gonna move it anyway (mostly because there's several *nix guys in the OT forum)

unixman

[pthread] The Clan of One
Apr 8, 2001
Bakersfield, CA
www.stridernet.ath.cx
Originally posted by Guardian_BOB
:eek: OhOh unixman now you've done it ! linux vs BSD war - and not even in a OS based forum. :D

If you can point to me a 'how too set up a server on FreeBSD' that'd be good. :p

Thanks, Guardian_Bob.

Actually, I'm starting up a site with just that purpose (side project... don't expect it anytime soon). I started out doing it in C on top of CGI but it's taking way to freakin' long to get anything working. I may sell out and use PHP.

Nobody give me any arguments about cgi being slower than php or I'll have to bash some heads! ;P

http://www.stridernet.ath.cx

If you don't want to wait for that, you can always read the freebsd manual. It's actually quite easy to understand even for a Windows geek (then again you can never underestimate them) :p

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook

Originally posted by unixman

I find that linux programs actually run faster than they do in linux, but then again I haven't used linux in a while.
A lot has changed, linux doesn't suffer from lack of speed anymore, it surpasses FreeBSD in some areas and vice-versa. Have you seen moshe bar's update? (the link is on FreeBSD's front page) They are neck and neck, and thats not the only benchmark either.
Linux is overhyped.
I like Linux, and think this true to some extent, but linux is not without its advantages. I can list them if you would like.

BSD has been around much longer than linux, and only because linux is "new", it gets all the press.
It doesn't really have anything to do with being "new". It has to do with the amount of support and marketing its getting from the industry. Sun, SGI, Intel, Oracle, IBM, the U.S. Government, evan BSDi (currently now WindRiver) have all contributed in some way.
They contribute because the liscense offers more protection, linux doesn't pose any real threat to their market, and it comes back to them in one way or another.

Iceman

Who Dares Wins
Oct 6, 1999
Australia
Visit site
Resistance is futile, you will never conquer Windows XP! MUAHAHAHAHA!
ROFLMAO :lol: . Can anyone else see that striderteen, has been smoking crack again?

WinXP is EVIL for games, i can't play anything, hopfully i'll get time to Re-install 98se today.

oh, and i'm going to download Mandrake or something like it in the near future ;) .

Iceman.

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
Linux is still much much slower than FreeBSD. If you compare it to Windows, it is fast, but compared to BSD, it's slow as hell. Linux is basically just a Unix-lite. It's a version toned down to be easier to use.

jaeg

PopeyeTurbo
Oct 18, 2000
I remeber when I had Linux and FreeBSD on the same machine a few years ago. Linux was butt-ass slow while FreeBSD zipped along. People who talk numbers haven't used both systems. FreeBSD can be using 95% of the CPU and still be crisp and responsive. Linux crawls to a halt at the drop of a hat.

Originally posted by jaeg
I remeber when I had Linux and FreeBSD on the same machine a few years ago. Linux was butt-ass slow while FreeBSD zipped along.
A lot has chaned since then.

People w[ho talk numbers haven't used both systems. FreeBSD can be using 95% of the CPU and still be crisp and responsive.
I have. I've used FreeBSD 4.x for over 3 months, as well as Solaris, AIX, QNX...

I still prefer non-linux servers but my opinion is changing as linux matures.

Linux crawls to a halt at the drop of a hat. [/B]
This is from a link on FreeBSD's homepage called "FreeBSD versus Linux revisited".

Qualitative Results

In the benchmark in February, after going through hours of stress testing, there were several instances where the Linux box with 2.4.0 would not let me log in with a simple rlogin or rsh anymore. In those cases, I had to go through a standard telnet session to access the server. This odd behavior was not reproducible, but occurred always after several hours of load testing. The FreeBSD OS never showed any odd behavior. This time around, that problem has vanished. Both systems never crashed and always remained responsive. Swapping, this time, was much more fluid than in the previous test and even when running all tests combined, the interactive behavior of both operating systems was satisfactory (though obviously the load could be felt).

Overall, I believe we have now reached a very stable and well-performing Linux...
His original tests were done on 2.4.0 not 2.2.19 or a mature kernel.

unixman

[pthread] The Clan of One
Apr 8, 2001
Bakersfield, CA
www.stridernet.ath.cx
Originally posted by Iceman
ok....Another question, why would i want FreeBSD insted of Mandrake? isn't BSD for servers etc? :hmm: .

Iceman.

I'm not going to try and say either is better than the other with numbers. I think it comes down to a preference in style. I like FreeBSD because it comes as a whole. It's more organized and controlled than Linux. FreeBSD's entire system's source is all under one directory. Linux, on the other hand, is just a kernel with everything else supplied piece meal by a vendor (we all remember that an operating system is more than a kernel right?). With FreeBSD you can recompile the kernel and every single utility and daemon with a single command (make buildworld && make installworld). If you like Linux use it. If you like FreeBSD use it. Hey use both if you like. I don't have a problem with either. BTW, FreeBSD uses a lot of GNUisms in it's working. It's far grown away from the traditional UNIXisms which I must admit is better.

The reason I have a problem with Windows is not that it's not a good operating system, it's that it is and always will be a marketing machine (this is not good for computer science - how can you study an operating sytem you can't see the source code to). I can't stand propietary protocols and languages that are simply there only to cause incompatibility even if they may be slightly better (more often than not they aren't anyway). OpenGL was more than good enough for graphics programming. Nope, here comes DirectX. It's a little better for game programming, but that's not why MS made it. Now here comes C#, another attempt to create propietary BS.

Back to the original question. No, FreeBSD isn't only for servers. FreeBSD can work just as well as desktop system as linux. Nearly any desktop enviroment you can think of has been ported to FreeBSD. Once again, it's all about taste.