Max Payne 3.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The game wasn't announced in 2005 as far as I know...

I would like a Max Payne 3, but the materials for the game confuse me. What are they going for with this next game? It doesn't seem to feel like the original film noir games at all.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
While the gameplay was better in the second, I enjoyed the theme of revenge (with Max's idea clear in his head) a lot better in the first than the theme of drama in the second. I always figured his mood after the final showdown of the first clearly indicated he was at peace. The second just made him into a completely different character.

This horrid abomination of a third game however...yeesh if it is free-roam and level up, I will loose all hope in action games. Actually, the pictures of this third game have already killed a bit of me on the inside.

Big-Al

amateur de bière
Jun 14, 2003
Under a black flag.
www.ttrgame.com
While the gameplay was better in the second, I enjoyed the theme of revenge (with Max's idea clear in his head) a lot better in the first than the theme of drama in the second. I always figured his mood after the final showdown of the first clearly indicated he was at peace. The second just made him into a completely different character.

This horrid abomination of a third game however...yeesh if it is free-roam and level up, I will loose all hope in action games. Actually, the pictures of this third game have already killed a bit of me on the inside.

good post. agreed.

but then, people do change over time, as this game series is reflecting.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I've always liked the Max Payne games.
don't really care about the story or the style or anything other than core gameplay.

as long as they give you lots of different weapons (from pistols to automatics to explosives) and let you use bullet time with all of them, then I'm sold. the whole Payne series is just about creating your own Hollywood shootout in a variety of scenarios.

ok so they might implement free-roam and leveling up. which is silly.
but if it's done right then, at least to me, it isn't that big of a deal.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think Rockstar always owned the Max Payne IP. The difference in this case is that Remedy (who, I think, came up with Max Payne) is not making the game.

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
I think Rockstar always owned the Max Payne IP. The difference in this case is that Remedy (who, I think, came up with Max Payne) is not making the game.

Not always. IIRC Take-Two bought the rights at some point during the development of Max Payne 2.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I guess I should say that I think Take Two always owned the rights, since Rockstar published both games and 3D Realms produced both games (with Rockstar developing and publishing certain ports of the games as well).

I certainly don't know the whole story, though, and Wikipedia has no thoughts on the matter either.

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
Max Payne 3 wasn't a DNF-style vapourware game, the first we ever heard about it was when info was officially revealed with Rockstar on development duties about a year and a half ago. Sam Lake, Petri Järvilehto etc have just been working on Alan Wake since Max Payne 2. Tellingly, James McCaffrey isn't voicing Max this time around.

I think it's going to suck balls. Should have been titled Fat Balding Guy's Brazilian Adventure.

Last edited: