How to Stop Ut From Freezing Online & Offline

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Jan 29, 2001
Visit site
Ok, I had the same problem as some of you still have, now what I recommend is following these instructions:

1. Go play ut like you normally do go to player setup and check evrything if its ok (the skin u perminently want and the name), Go to Preferences and check if everything you want is there (correct 3d driver, speech binding ect.) Make sure everything is like you want it to be and now close the game properly.

2. Open your ut system folder and right click your user.ini and go to the "properties" of the ini! Now Make sure that only "READ-ONLY" is checked and "ARCHIVE" is checked. Apply the settings and close the properties window.

3. Open your ut system folder and right click your unrealtournament.ini and go to the "properties" of the ini! Now Make sure that only "READ-ONLY" is checked and "ARCHIVE" is checked. Apply the settings and close the properties window.

Now see if anything has changed it helped me and I hope it will help you! Note: This will keep all your settings in ut normal, you cannot change anything now
because the read-only tab is selected!

Credits: WAC-ÄñGêL¤Wï®Ê and the Wild and Cruel Clan

Visit us at: http://www.wildandcruel.cjb.net

beelzebub

Dec 19, 2000
Visit site
maybe just some simple setting?.....

well... since i have the exact same problems in other games with the freezing i doubt it would help me....
(same kind of freeze also)

{SOA}_=X=_Dra'gon

Masterful
Feb 1, 2001
CA, USA
Visit site
I need more info on what video card your using and if your experiencing these freezes not just in other games but running normal applications on your computer as well. Is your card or computer new? Let me know so I can help

beelzebub

Dec 19, 2000
Visit site
ok.. i have a p3 533mhz,128 ram... and together with a riva tnt2 pro APG 2x16 dedicated video mem.
(?) lol (its 16meg card)...... ive tryed updated the drivers with multiply retry's.. diff ones and all... feels like ive testet everything there is to test.. and no, dosnt only freeze like this in UT.. but not as much as in ut with the other games.

hope u can help me!!?? errrrrrr....
i get furious with this shit

[oma]Bender

May 21, 2000
Visit site
Can you be more specific about your System? Especially which Mainboard (and Chipset) do you have?

Can you get your hands on another power supply for testing?

beelzebub

Dec 19, 2000
Visit site
ok man, sry but im kinda new with computers :)
so anyway... if i got this right:
Via Apollo Pro 133 (?) does that say anything to u?

im also not US so my english isnt the best..... hehe

"Can you get your hands on another power supply for testing?"

power supply? u mean the plug in the wall or what? :)
just try to change that or ?

THANKS for now i guess.

ps. here's the url for my computer if not right info
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/sv/products/hp_pavilion_desktop_pcs/docs/bwh05415.html#P26_369

Kray

Time chaser
Sep 17, 2000
Fool's Paradise
utgallery.tripod.com
Originally posted by WAC-ÄñGêL¤Wï®Ê
Ok, I had the same problem as some of you still have,

Which problem is this? I think there are several type of lockups:

1. Online only lockups, where the screen just freezes, no sound about 20 mintues to 1 hour into online game, have to hard reset.
2. Online only lockups where the screen goes "rainbow" horizontally and the sound repeats itself, hard reset as well.
3. Online keyboard and mouse lockups
4. Freezing for 30 seconds during server browsing
5. Offline and online lockup where the game freezes about 5 seconds to 2 mintues into the game.

I suffer from lockup #1. And still do. I used to have lockup #2, but not anymore. I'm also using Via Apollo Pro 133.

To be honest, I don't think how changing to Read-only and Archive can solve the problem, but at this point, I'm willing to try anything.

beelzebub

Dec 19, 2000
Visit site
well... i dont have any of your #'s of lock-ups.
i suffer from a diff one...
i can play with no problems what so ever for a certain time, THEN it just freezes from nowhere (sound is choppy, repetedly) and frame is just stuck! TOTAL FREEZE in other words :(
i must cut the power to restart the computer... but its strange coz its various times i get to play.. sometimes it freezes after 20 mins, sometimes after 1 hour.
well.. the past time ive just ignored my problem.. but then again, what damage will my computer get in time when cutting the power just like that? anyone knows?

Kray,, since we have the same mainboard we should keep in touch if we solve the problem...

my icq#57292965

or anyone else can help US?

peace

Tylerabe

Feb 13, 2001
Dayton, OHIO
Visit site
Well, hmmmm?

Well I am sure you have the latest patch installed right, and I would also get a cooling fan for your video card. I hope you don't have it overclocked too much, and please tell me you don't have your processor overclocked. You can overclock both your vid card and processor, but you need to invest in some good cooling fans. Don't know why it keeps locking up on you, but maybe its your vid card all together. Doubt it though. I know the voodoo 3 2000 has the same problems. But I don't know much about Nvidia cards.

Kray

Time chaser
Sep 17, 2000
Fool's Paradise
utgallery.tripod.com
beelzebub, sure....my email is kray@consultant.com. What drivers do you use? I use via's 4-in-1 ver 423, DirextX 7, JGC Tweaked Driver 1.1 for savage4. I also use the mobo's on-board sound. You?

I thought heat could be the issue as well. But I've added a fan on top of my savage4's heatsink (sucking air out), and added the Super Duper Slot fan, and an additional medium/big size fan in the casing, plus I use my computer without the side casing. Average mobo's temp (after 20 mintues UT'ing - 38 C). So I doubt heat is the issue.

Oh yeah, and nothing is overclocked.

kerilk

Feb 13, 2001
Visit site
Keeping tho box opened is not always a good solution, because the air isn't flowing throught the box and the system is hotter. (ex: p3 700 cpu temp box closed 35°C opened 40°C).
Problem may come from three parts :
*video card (cpu or memory)
*cpu
*memory
Be very careful to the ram as it is usually a big source of problem, mine is supposed to be 133 but i have to raise it's voltage to have it handle those frequencies, else it locks up now and then.
To see if the problem is only UT related try using 3D Mark 2000 and run it in cycle to see if it locks up and when, 3DMark is very sensitive tu cpu problems, it pushes your cpu way more than UT or any other game, and is very stable if your system is OK (I can run it all night when not overclocking).

Hope this helps.