UE1 - UT Torus Tarquin Brush Builder

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

fast586

Sep 14, 2003
New Jersey
www.ttsclan.com
I am running both versions of UnrealEd; v2.0 and 2.1. I'm trying to get back into mapping. I haven't been involved with maps for over 7 years now, so please bear with me. I used to make maps for the various clans I was involved with over the years. So I'm trying to bring back my mapping memory, so to speak. My question relates to using the extra buttons inside the editor. Specifically, the torus tarquin builder.

What I'm trying to do is to start a map using this particular builder. No square box as my base, just the tarquin torus builder brush. For example, I entered 1024 into the builder brush size and told it to build it. Then I subtracted it, just like you do with a box. Then I built the map and saved it. For lighting, I went into zone lighting, even though I've yet to add any zones and told the editor to light the entire map using 71 as my entry. Ran the entire map build again, lights and all, Then saved it again.

When I try to add a player start, it won't let me. I can add it but you see nothing appear. Same thing happens if I try to build a CTF map and add bases. The editor lets me go through the process but you see nothing appear in the map. And yet, I can add lights with no problem. If I build a map using just a square box, I can add player starts, no problem. Why would using the tarquin torus builder brush as my starting point, make any difference? I'm still subtracting from the empty space. Am I missing something here? One other thing is that I get the same result whether I use UnrealEd 2.0 or 2.1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

fast586

fast586

Sep 14, 2003
New Jersey
www.ttsclan.com
What's your grid size? Actors tend to get pushed into solid space when the grid size is too large. I recommend at most 16 when trying to place navigation points.

Grid size is set to the default of 16. I generally never go any higher than that. If anything, I go down to 8 sometimes. If I'm not mistaken, I think I've used this tool before and had no trouble like this. Only thing I'm not sure of is if I tried to use it in the fashion that I've explained by using the Torus Tarquin as a starting point, as opposed to starting the map by building a square box.

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
Just tried with the TarquinTorus, everything works OK, I can add the playerstart. Try selecting the "ground" surface before adding the playerstart? Also, check if you haven't disabled actor display in the viewport settings, and be aware some renderers might cause some actors not showing (especially things like unsupported D3D in 2.1).

fast586

Sep 14, 2003
New Jersey
www.ttsclan.com
Just tried with the TarquinTorus, everything works OK, I can add the playerstart. Try selecting the "ground" surface before adding the playerstart? Also, check if you haven't disabled actor display in the viewport settings, and be aware some renderers might cause some actors not showing (especially things like unsupported D3D in 2.1).

I've tried everything. Used the default size settings for a testing purposes with the tarquin torus builder brush. Outer Radius = 256, Tube Thickness = 64, Wheelsides = 8, Wheelsides Used = 0. Then opened Actor Classes>Navigation Point>Player Start> Add Player Start. Still nothing appears. I don't get it. Am I doing something wrong?

fast586

Sep 14, 2003
New Jersey
www.ttsclan.com
I've tried everything. Used the default size settings for a testing purposes with the tarquin torus builder brush. Outer Radius = 256, Tube Thickness = 64, Wheelsides = 8, Wheelsides Used = 0. Then opened Actor Classes>Navigation Point>Player Start> Add Player Start. Still nothing appears. I don't get it. Am I doing something wrong?

Alright. Got it to work. Can't believe it. You know what I did? Just for giggles, I used much larger settings. 2048x128x16 sides. Then, it let me add the player start. Does this have something to do with the size of the player (actor) itself? This is the log message I got when I set the builder brush back to its defaults and tried again to add a player start: "Warning: Actor doesn't fit there."

fast586

Sep 14, 2003
New Jersey
www.ttsclan.com
Thank you!

PlayerStarts have a height of 80 UU and a diameter of 36 UU. Your torus may have been too small to fit in a PlayerStart's collision cylinder.

Thanks to both of you for your help, Wombo and Hellkeeper! Much appreciated. Because of your tips, I learned something that will always come in handy for future mapping. :D