Unreal Engine 3.0 Demo Impressions

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
IGN reports their experience watching the Unreal Engine 3.0 demo at yesterday's Game Developers Conference.
The first part of the demo was actually something new and a bit of a surprise. To show off the power of this new engine, as well as demonstrate that this engine can in fact be used to make games, Epic played a game, real-time, right in front of the crowd's eyes. Stunning is a good word to use here. Breathtaking would be another. Booyakasha might be something some folks might say. It rocked. Textures were unbelievably crisp. Animation was excellent. Lighting was ridiculous. Architecture was well designed. The gameplay focused around a soldier ambushed by some aliens from within an abandoned structure. The level was played from the 3rd perspective, giving an awesome view at the back of this superb model. Light effects from enemy weapons simply looked dangerous. The character dived behind cover, bumped up against it, peeked out and fired from around it with an over the shoulder view while firing. I really wish I had screens to share with you, but I don't. The rumor, heard from a little birdie after I had left the event, is that this is a game being developed in-house for the PC and next-gen consoles due out in Q1 2006.

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
"What kind of weapons will our mod have? Well if you turn to page 635 of the design document, Chapter 5, section A, part 5, you can see a few pieces of concept art. For the actual functionality of our weapons in unreal engine 3, please turn to Chapter 5, section 6, part 92 for the beginning of the 113 page coders notes..."

l87

Jun 25, 2004
Anything on the unreal engine 3 is going to be nice. I just hope we get some new innovation with the games being designed on it. :)