I need your help with WinNT commands!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

barrett

May 22, 2000
Visit site
Hi all!

Some of you may or may not know about our popular and long-standing Unreal1 Infiltration Deathmatches server. We've had it up and running with superior bandwidth for over 3 years. Recently, however, we have had to take a short break. Now, however, we want to get it back up and running.

However, we will be running it only in the evenings, so I need a way of starting and stopping the server by a timer. The first thing I could think of is using the Task Scheduler in WinNT to do this. However, I have a string of options that I use to start the server in batch mode, so the Task Scheduler will have to start this batch file. My problem is this: How do I stop the server program at a specified time?

Does anyone know the Windows NT command to stop a program... a command that I could write in a batch file that kills a program that's currently running? It would be basically the opposite of the 'start' command. I saw that there's actually a 'kill' command, but for some reason, our NT system doesn't recognize it.

I really don't want to try to run the server without this way of stopping it... Right now, it will start as one scheduled task, but I can't stop it. Ideally, I'd have another scheduled task (a simple one-lined batch file) that would stop the server program.

Please lemme know if you all have any ideas!

thanks,
brutal

www.geocities.com/bcrunreal