Can't play UT:GOTY multiplayer

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SmokingGun

Oct 12, 2001
OKC
Visit site
Ok, I have all the latest patches for my hardware, and the UT software, so I know it's not that. My issue is that I can't connect to any servers to play. It querys the master server,and says someting like 3000 servers found, then goes into pinging the servers. i've let it sit for 3 hours,and nothing happened. No servers or games or players. On of the reasons I bought UT was for multiplayer. My connections is a 56K modem, so I know it's slow. That's why i let it sit for 3 hours. PLease Help.

SmokingGun

Oct 12, 2001
OKC
Visit site
OK, I forgot to include my hardware specs.

Intel PIII 1GHz
Intel 810FX Mobo
256 MB RAM
Western Digital 20GB HD
Onboard Intel Graphics Accelarator (no comments plz. I'm trying to get a GeForce 2 64MB)
Logitech mouseman 2button wheelmouse
SB Pro soundcard (no problems with sound, surprisingly)

I'm Running UT in Software with high detail skins and sounds
I am not experiencing any problems playing in practice. In fact, It's pulled me from HL :)

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
First, install EavyServer Browser. It's attached to this post.
Unzip the file to a temporary folder and doubleclick the .umod-file to install it. Then you can remove the .umod.
With this umod installed, you don't have to ping all 3000 servers, only ping the servers for the gametype you want to play.

If you don't allready have, patch your game to 4.36

What OS and modem do you have? What isp do you use?

SmokingGun

Oct 12, 2001
OKC
Visit site
OK, I'm running Windows ME, and use (no comments from the peanuts gallery) AOL. And I'm not sure what brand the modem is. In the Device Manager it says BCM 56K modem. So no clue there. And 436 was included with the game it was the "Totally Unreal" Package.

I'm not seeing any servers in the browser, and it just stops at "Pinging 0% 0Games 0Players" That's it.

And the file didn't work. Sorry.

Last edited:

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
I have no own experience from AOL but everybody who haves say they suck. Can you use any other isp?
Try to borrow a modem from a friend. Just to see if it's your modem which causes the problem.

Could you have virus on your PC? Or spyware? Download Ad-Aware from
LavaSoft to get rid of any SpyWare.

Other usefil links:

Go here and see what programs you can disable on Windows startup.

Lagless . You may find some modem tweaks.

3D Spotlight's Tweaks and Guides . Tweaks for UT, Windows, modem and so on.