My keyboard control feels soggy

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Ok, specs first:

AMD Duron 700
256 mb RAM
Abit Kt-7 motherboard
Logitech internet keyboard
GeForce 2 MX vid card

I think that's the relevant stuff......

The problem:

Often, it seems that lately, after playing a game or two on my favorite servers, my keyboard movement control will begin to feel really weird. Some words I'd use to describe this are "soggy" an "drunk." Precision seems off. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on, though. One thing I know for sure is that my movements aren't crisp - there's a small but noticeable delay between the time I press each key and when it takes effect. Also, it seems like I don't start at full movement speed - like it has to slightly accelerate.

It's really vague, but I'm sure this is going on and it affects gameplay a lot. I can't dodge or react as quickly as other players, and in isntagib that translates into a LOT of deaths where I'd normally dodge/change direction fast enough. It's also harder to aim because movement isn't smooth.

The only fix seems to be rebooting my computer.

I'd be gratified enough to know whether or not anyone else was having this problem. A solution would be seriously awesome.

pine

Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Whoops, I forgot about this post. Hehe.

Ummm.....I"m running Windows 98 Second Edition. This is such a strange problem (plus it doesn't always happen, only occasionally) that I would be impressed if someone knew what to do.

pine

Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
*PMUB*

Reinstalled UT and the problem persists. Perhaps it's one of my mods.....I tried checking and unchecking DirectInput, to no avail.

][mpact

Oct 8, 2001
Visit site
hmm

you wouldn't happen to be experiencing lag now would you? Or better yet, packet loss?

What kind of modem? Do you experience this only on online games?

This leads me to believe...that your experiencing lag...playing online games has everyone always "leading," or doing everything 1-5 seconds ahead. Movement is the same.

pine

Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Definitely not lag. I get this when my pings/package loss are perfect, and my pings get down to 40.....my PL is usually zero. I connect to the internet thru my college network, T1 ethernet baby :).

I know what lag feels like, and this ain't it. One interesting fact is it seems to get progressively worse in long games sometimes.

DeaJae

taking a month's break
May 7, 2001
England
www.littleportitservices.co.uk
im starting to get this as well, mouse seems like its set to 1 but its at 9 in UT and max in windows, virtauly the same spec as Pineconeboy's machine, only optical logitech and standard KB, WinME Nvidia 20.81 instaled. it happens offline as well.

][mpact

Oct 8, 2001
Visit site
hmm

are you guys playing in d3d or opengl?

And if I remember clearly...there are only 20.80 dets...not 20.81, unless I'm missing something.

pine

Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
that's weird Deajae, mine ISN'T doing it in windows. I'm going to check out the page Blaze-22 suggested....

DeaJae

taking a month's break
May 7, 2001
England
www.littleportitservices.co.uk
ok, narrowed down what i did last to Piglet,

Installed IE6

Installed Outlook2000

installed det's 21.81 (now using .85)

the last is the only thing i can think of, except changing my other hard disk to NTFS, ive restored Windows default Swap space from my own settings and will check it again on next boot.

pine

Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Now THAT sounds reasonable. One of the weirdest things I've noticed about this problem is that it usually gets gradually worse as I keep playing.