UT2K4 Demo out

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
I have a 9800 pro and I do not have any problems with it.

To the voice recognition... I somehow do not seem to get it to work (yes, I read the manual). How can you determine that it is actually turned on and working? I hold the microphone key, speak, and nothing happens. I've joined all channels and am talking in the team channel. But nothing happens. And yes, that is while playing online on my own listen server. Or do I need to use a dedicated one for this to work??

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
Like Fieldmedic says i find the bots in Onslaught also pretty good at it. They kicked my ass a few times too.

Havent had any problems with lag online. I also have adsl and most any server i connected to ( i never connect to listen servers tho ) gave me a good stable lagfree game.

The voicecom is great. That alone + onslaught fun makes this one of the most fun demos ive played in a while.

I've never been a fan of (T)DM / Assault / CTF. Not for UT, 2k3 or probably 2k4.
Something about the movement.. i dunno..
The best online dm shooter is q3a still imo. The movement is good & fluid. I think it has the best physics.

I'm happy to see they improved sound btw. Not heard any filtering yet ( like underwater effect ) but at least one can hear stuff going on pretty far in the distance. Which is always a good thing.

So SS, give me a reason to sell a kidney and buy myself a 9800pro + this game; Make us some infiltration sweetness.

Bhruic

May 26, 2002
Visit site
Beppo said:
To the voice recognition... I somehow do not seem to get it to work (yes, I read the manual). How can you determine that it is actually turned on and working? I hold the microphone key, speak, and nothing happens. I've joined all channels and am talking in the team channel. But nothing happens. And yes, that is while playing online on my own listen server. Or do I need to use a dedicated one for this to work??

AFAIK, the voice recognition system only works for ordering the bots. There's an article on it at BU: http://www.beyondunreal.com/content/articles/74_1.php

Beyond that, dunno what else to tell you. I did what the article mentions, and got it working here.

Bh

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
Bhruic said:
AFAIK, the voice recognition system only works for ordering the bots. There's an article on it at BU: http://www.beyondunreal.com/content/articles/74_1.php

Beyond that, dunno what else to tell you. I did what the article mentions, and got it working here.

Bh

how convenient, i already had that set up and trained a year ago, the Microsoft Speech that is.

Does anyone know if calling a bot by its name, works?

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
"team suicide" ... *evil grin* I wish it worked on enemy bots ;)
Only problem so far is that it seems to think that my 'Bravo' is 'Alfa' and 'freelance' is 'dance', but it's great ... it's probably the best bit in UT'04 after onslaught and the improved AI.

btw :
do voices really work based on your location as well ?
ie : your speech is only heard by those near your location if you speak on the correct channel ?

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
Cold Killer said:
Wow. Did you stick with the Radeon 9800 Pro or swap it out for something else? I've heard people be kind of unenthusiastic about that card.

I'm LOVING my 9800 Pro... and this is my first time with ATI. Had only GeForces and Voodoos before this.

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
I hate UT2K4 for the same reasons I hated UT2K3. The community is a bunch of trash-talking 12 year olds and the gameplay is nothing but circle-strafing Quake deathmatch bullsh*t.

Sorry, I'll pass.

-Keiichi

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
And Sardaukar was (apparently) suggesting that UT's community and gameplay also consists of bratty kids and circle-strafing.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Nope, he says Infiltration can't be the reason why Keech liked UT. If you combine that with what Keech said that means the Infiltration community is a bunch of circle-strafing, trash-talking 12-year-olds. Language is a fun thing to play with.

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Actually, I DID like UT. And not because it was any different that UT2K3 or UT2K4, but because it was released in 1999 when I was still 17 years old. That kind of game appealed to me then. Now it doesn't.

When I first tried playing UT2K4 online, I was instantly killed within about 20 seconds of joining the server by some guy who came flying around a corner at about 50 mph, jumped over my head, stopped on a dime, started circle-strafing me faster than my mouse could even keep up and head-shot me with a shock rifle.

About 10 minutes later, I managed to get in a tank and started making my way for the enemy base, only to have another guy come running at me at 50 mph, dodging left and right and jumping like a madman to avoid my cannon fire, only to get in so close that I could no longer shoot him and start jump-dodging around my tank while firing his minigun. To my amazement, my tank lasted about 15 seconds and then blew up, which was followed by him taunting me with "hahaha i owned you good."

Right about there I said "F--k this" and quit.

UT isn't about tactics or strategy or even skill. It's about twitch reflexes. Something that I used to have 5 years ago but don't now that I've been playing games like Battlefield 1942 and Medal of Honor. The fact that I typically get about 50 deaths to every 1 kill in UT2K4 when I'm almost always #1 or #2 on the scoreboard of every BF server I play is proof of that.

-Keiichi

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
The tanks have machine guns. Press 2 for close range ownage.

I understand your problem with it, and I agree. That's why I only play Onslaught mode. I have no love for deathmatching with weapons that do less damage than an air rifle. I do enjoy running people over, though.

Last edited:

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Pressing 2 doesn't seem to do anything when I'm in a tank. And Alt-Fire just zooms in... :hmm:

-Keiichi

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
Pressing 2 works for me so double check to see if something is screwed up or not.

Anyways after playing UT2K4 I have to say that I like it. I do enjoy this type of game play when I am not getting my ass shot off in Infiltration. Will I get it. Yes and probably the SE on DVD.

Is it enough of a change from UT2K3, no. I can certainly see why many here don't wish to get it.

Edit: Fixed name mix up

Last edited:

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Keiichi said:
Actually, I DID like UT. And not because it was any different that UT2K3 or UT2K4, but because it was released in 1999 when I was still 17 years old. That kind of game appealed to me then. Now it doesn't.

When I first tried playing UT2K4 online, I was instantly killed within about 20 seconds of joining the server by some guy who came flying around a corner at about 50 mph, jumped over my head, stopped on a dime, started circle-strafing me faster than my mouse could even keep up and head-shot me with a shock rifle.
No way! Really? You got owned by someone on your first time ever taking on a player-controlled opponent? Unbelievable!
Keiichi said:
About 10 minutes later, I managed to get in a tank and started making my way for the enemy base, only to have another guy come running at me at 50 mph, dodging left and right and jumping like a madman to avoid my cannon fire, only to get in so close that I could no longer shoot him and start jump-dodging around my tank while firing his minigun. To my amazement, my tank lasted about 15 seconds and then blew up, which was followed by him taunting me with "hahaha i owned you good."

Right about there I said "F--k this" and quit.
Ok, it's ten minutes later. You're still going to suck. If you'd have taken more time to learn the tricks of the game and not gotten into such a hissy fit over some guy's playful chiding then you'd probably still be playing right now.
Keiichi said:
UT isn't about tactics or strategy or even skill. It's about twitch reflexes. Something that I used to have 5 years ago but don't now that I've been playing games like Battlefield 1942 and Medal of Honor. The fact that I typically get about 50 deaths to every 1 kill in UT2K4 when I'm almost always #1 or #2 on the scoreboard of every BF server I play is proof of that.

-Keiichi
So, in addition to saying that having strategy and skill will not help you do better at UT2K4, you go on to state that twitch reflexes have no part in how well you do in Battlefield and MOH?

ffs. UT2K4 is a wholly different game than BF and MOH. Of COURSE you're going to get owned repeatedly for the first ten minutes that you play it. Of COURSE your opponents are going to mock your inexperienced ineptitude on occasion. Give it some god damned time!

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Cold Killer said:
No way! Really? You got owned by someone on your first time ever taking on a player-controlled opponent? Unbelievable!
Mind the attitude, *******. It wasn't about being "owned." I can handle losing. It's about being "owned" in such ridiculous and unbelievable fashion.

For a game which touts it's amazing physics engine, the players still run like Speedy Gonzales on crack, leap small buildings like Superman and can seemingly defy Newton's first law of motion by stopping and changing direction instantly with absolutely no loss of momentum.

Ok, it's ten minutes later. You're still going to suck. If you'd have taken more time to learn the tricks of the game and not gotten into such a hissy fit over some guy's playful chiding then you'd probably still be playing right now.
Again, it's not about "sucking." It's about someone being able to destroy a f--king TANK with a minigun while cartwheeling around it like a spaz. I'm sorry if I find that type of gameplay to be juvenile and annoying...

So, in addition to saying that having strategy and skill will not help you do better at UT2K4, you go on to state that twitch reflexes have no part in how well you do in Battlefield and MOH?
No, they didn't. At the very least, they didn't rely on it as the sole determining factor of your success.

ffs. UT2K4 is a wholly different game than BF and MOH. Of COURSE you're going to get owned repeatedly for the first ten minutes that you play it. Of COURSE your opponents are going to mock your inexperienced ineptitude on occasion. Give it some god damned time!
Why should I "give some god damned time" to a gameplay style that I find immature and beneath me?

Again, despite what you seem to think, I'm not complaining about being bad at the game. I'm complaining about the fact that being good at it requires a play style and mindset that I personally find distasteful.

-Keiichi

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
The game engine does have a good physics engine the problem is the game itself doesn't really use it.

Keiichi is simply stating why he does not like it and I have to agree with him. In a community that you have to be "good enough" not to get trashed talked brings stupidity to a whole new level. I just want to have some fun so why the hell should I put up with all the crap.

You see people like Keiichi and myself have this thing called a real life. We actually have friends, families and other things to do. We don't wish to spend hours training and increasing our reflexes just to avoid the crap online. Thats why I no longer play online.

I don't wish to seem to speak for him, although it looks like it, but I believe I understand what he is saying. The only real difference is he doesn't like the game style which is fine with me. Put a really crappy community ontop of that.

And don't say I don't like it because I suck. I suck at Infiltration but I still love it.

Last edited: