Gears 3 Adding Casual Multiplayer Mode

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
A report on Destructoid reveals that Gears of War 3 is going to include a 'Casual' multiplyer gaming mode. This mode will supposedly have more aim assistance and is only available to people new to the series. Anyone who has an achievement from either previous game or participated in the Gears 3 beta will not be able to access this mode.

This is interesting to me simply because the skill gap has been something of a sore spot for many gamers on many multiplayer games. The most poignant to me being Unreal Tournament, particularly UT2004 which has a massive skill tier. What do you think of this idea?

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Interesting idea. If you already played the previous titles or participated in the beta, you should already know how to play, so it makes sense that absolutely new players should have an area where they can learn the game with a lower skill curve

Dunno how they'll handle the transition between the "newbie" servers and the "normal" servers but if it's an outright "ok, to normal with you" that could be a bad design choice.
Personally I'd set up a series of rooms/servers/etc where the "newbie" assists were gradually lessened until they were just a hair easier than "normal"

I for one wish more devs would include an advanced tutorial so people could figure out the game before they venture into the main populous
Look at MondayNightCombat, their tutorial only prepares you for playing the Blitz gametype using the Assault class, that won't help you much when you go into online Crossfire

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Cue experienced players playing on accounts without GoW achievements in 3..2..1 - or people like me who've played about 3 hours of Gears and got a few achievements who can't play on casual despite hardly playing the game ever.

Swanky

Natural Born Killer - Yoshi!
Jan 29, 2004
Germany
www.swankl.de.vu
Gears 2 had bot support, so at least it shows you the ropes about the gametypes / maps. Aiming... that may be another story. And you can learn about the weapons there, too, or in SinglePlay. Just not master them (mostly).

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
I think including the mode is a good idea. Making it inaccessible to certain people??? Weird. That'll be tough on girlfriends or house guests that just sign on to an existing profile on the console. I guess you can't avoid experienced players going on a n00b5tomp without some restriction like that though. But wait, isn't that the purpose of match making?

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
The restrictions may be too tight for people to find games. Other than that, it's not a bad idea.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
We have to make special matchmamking that fixes the problems of matchmaking (like it not matchmaking at all).

-=WolverinE=-

Apr 16, 2006
This is fucking stupid. Why not add some other crap to split up the player base even more? No serious gamer would want a team mate with auto aim.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
It'd make more sense to just have a 'casual' gaming setting where you can't rack up achievements etc, and limit it to certain maps or gametypes. That'd assist newer players whilst keeping the experienced ones out more than just checking 'achievements'.