Tweak UT graphics/sound to the max

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The greatest mystery of all: OpenGL or D3D (Including the D3D8 one)?

• OpenGl

Votes: 108 64.7%
  • D3D (or D3D8)

Votes: 41 24.6%
  • Software is the best!

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • They all suck!

Votes: 14 8.4%

• Total voters

Malevol3nt

May 29, 2008
Wait!

I think there's a way to fix the crosshair issue. But just maybe..

Load any map in the unreal editor, now replace the Level Info>DefaultGameType with this: Class'UnrealShare.TeamGame'

This will load a classic Unreal TeamGame, and guess what? The crosshairs there work with big resolutions.

Maybe we could use some kind of workaround to display the cursor with this? Like override it so it uses the unreal cursor display functions?

Malevol3nt

May 29, 2008
Well here is the code I found that UT uses to draw the crosshair when simulating Unreal deathmatch games:

Code:
simulated function DrawCrossHair( canvas Canvas, int StartX, int StartY )
{
	if (Crosshair>5) Return;
	Canvas.SetPos(StartX, StartY );
	Canvas.Style = 2;
	if		(Crosshair==0) 	Canvas.DrawIcon(Texture'Crosshair1', 1.0);
	else if (Crosshair==1) 	Canvas.DrawIcon(Texture'Crosshair2', 1.0);	
	else if (Crosshair==2) 	Canvas.DrawIcon(Texture'Crosshair3', 1.0);
	else if (Crosshair==3) 	Canvas.DrawIcon(Texture'Crosshair4', 1.0);
	else if (Crosshair==4) 	Canvas.DrawIcon(Texture'Crosshair5', 1.0);	
	else if (Crosshair==5) 	Canvas.DrawIcon(Texture'Crosshair7', 1.0);		
	Canvas.Style = 1;	
}

But this all seems hardcoded to me. It only has a selection of 6 predefined crosshairs.

I don't know where it's calling this function from tho. I've no idea how these unrealscript files are organized.

//Edit:

Well I found the files that are using DrawCrossHair,

1109: DrawCrossHair(Canvas, 0,0 );
1430: simulated function DrawCrossHair( canvas Canvas, int X, int Y)

76: simulated function DrawCrossHair( canvas Canvas, int StartX, int StartY);

117: simulated function DrawCrossHair( canvas Canvas, int StartX, int StartY )

361: PlayerOwner.MyHUD.DrawCrossHair(Canvas, StartX + 160, StartY + 8 * Spacing - 3 );

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
It's probably being called from the HUD too. Unreal and UT have some similarities.

If you want to find out where that function is called, use Windows search for "*.uc" and "DrawCrossHair(" on the folder that contains the exported scripts.

Edit: UnrealHUD is probably what's used in Unreal games and ChallengeHUD is what's used for UT.

I than tried to fool UT by changing the Drawscale in the editor to 0.250000 but it didnt work. For some reason it keeps reseting it to 1.000000

Maybe it's because there's a default value somewhere in the package being used.

Can you attach a package ? I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:

Diehard

No rush :).

If i would be normal i would agree with that :), but seeing my poor health i never know when it turns ugly again. So i simply cannot affort to loose the precious time i have.

But i got the packages finished

The normal package: Normal_UTRP_Crosshairs.zip

In this package the crosshairs are added in the size 256 x 256 pixels, which should be sufficient enough for our goal. They also can be used by anyone, S3TC users or normal users ! Which might be usefull :)

The High End S3TC version: HighEnd_UTRP_Crosshairs.zip

In this package the crosshairs are added in the size 2048 x 2048 pixels, which is ridiculous large. I would not suggest using those, as said, they are ridiculous large where theres no real use for it :rolleyes: The zipfile compression rate is btw the highest i ever saw: 99% :eek:

Limited instructions:

Change [Botpack.ChallengeHUD] into follow:

[Botpack.ChallengeHUD]
CrosshairCount=18
CrossHairs[0]=Botpack.CHair1
CrossHairs[1]=Botpack.CHair2
CrossHairs[2]=Botpack.CHair3
CrossHairs[3]=Botpack.CHair4
CrossHairs[4]=Botpack.CHair5
CrossHairs[5]=Botpack.CHair6
CrossHairs[6]=Botpack.CHair7
CrossHairs[7]=Botpack.CHair8
CrossHairs[8]=Botpack.CHair9
CrossHairs[9]=UTRP_Crosshairs.UTRP_Chair1
CrossHairs[10]=UTRP_Crosshairs.UTRP_Chair2
CrossHairs[11]=UTRP_Crosshairs.UTRP_Chair3
CrossHairs[12]=UTRP_Crosshairs.UTRP_Chair4
CrossHairs[13]=UTRP_Crosshairs.UTRP_Chair5
CrossHairs[14]=UTRP_Crosshairs.UTRP_Chair6
CrossHairs[15]=UTRP_Crosshairs.UTRP_Chair7
CrossHairs[16]=UTRP_Crosshairs.UTRP_Chair8
CrossHairs[17]=UTRP_Crosshairs.UTRP_Chair9
CrossHairs[18]=
CrossHairs[19]=
FontInfoClass=Botpack.FontInfo

Better and more complete instructions can be find in the helpfiles within the zipfiles.

Last edited:

Malevol3nt

May 29, 2008
That's strange, both of those render invisible to me. Tried with S3TC option both off and on, and 2 different renderers. Maybe I'm just very sleepy right now. The area where the crosshairs are shown in the preferences menu (in UT) is big, but theres still nothing on display. Weird..

Edit: I can open the textures in UE and they show up fine there tho.

Diehard

That's strange, both of those render invisible to me. Tried with S3TC option both off and on, and 2 different renderers. Maybe I'm just very sleepy right now. The area where the crosshairs are shown in the preferences menu (in UT) is big, but theres still nothing on display. Weird..

Well ya, that the problem i described, they show up, as is, the normal ones will show up as 256, the High End ones as 2048. Thats where the DrawScale should be changed somehow.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
The 256x256 version of the crosshairs show up in HUD preferences in their real size. They aren't displayed in-game though. I'm not quite sure why yet.

So, to recap, UTRP_Crosshairs.utx contains just normal supersized textures. Exact ?

Last edited:

Diehard

They aren't displayed in-game though. I'm not quite sure why yet.

I think they are that large they dissapear out of field. I asume the are there but cannot be seen, or partially because they are bigger than the screen.

So, to recap, UTRP_Crosshairs.utx contains just normal supersized textures. Exact ?

Yes, i re-made them from scratch in a size of 2048 x 2048 which were added to the High End packages. Than i scaled them down to the size 256 x 256 and added those to the normal package.

For all goes, they have a 100% black background with a 100% white cross. Textures were imported without Masking and MipMaps. (as they are in the original BotPack).

So, apart from the size, they should be exact the same as the originals.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Code:
	if		(Crosshair==0) 	Canvas.DrawIcon(Texture'Crosshair1', 1.0);
	else if (Crosshair==1) 	Canvas.DrawIcon(Texture'Crosshair2', 1.0);	
	else if (Crosshair==2) 	Canvas.DrawIcon(Texture'Crosshair3', 1.0);
	else if (Crosshair==3) 	Canvas.DrawIcon(Texture'Crosshair4', 1.0);
	else if (Crosshair==4) 	Canvas.DrawIcon(Texture'Crosshair5', 1.0);	
	else if (Crosshair==5) 	Canvas.DrawIcon(Texture'Crosshair7', 1.0);

Woah, now that's one huge hack! I didn't know Epic liked those that much.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I think they are that large they dissapear out of field. I asume the are there but cannot be seen, or partially because they are bigger than the screen.

Ok, I figured as much. What's probably happening is that the code above is trying to place the texture in a 64x64 box and only one corner is showing.

I'll see what I can do.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Why didn't they at least use loops for this code? Numbers 1-5 could be added into a for loop and save them some space and make it less hacky. Strange that textures have inconsistent names though.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Ok, I think I've managed to extend UT's hud so it handles higher resolution crosshairs. This is my first HUD mutator so it may need improvements but it should do the job. It can be used offline but needs to be installed on a server for it to work online. There may be a way around this but it will probably trigger anticheat mods. Anyway, check it out.

P.S: Other elements of the HUD can be changed in the same way such as the weapon icons and the damage doll.

Attachments

• UTRP_HUD.zip
    12.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Malevol3nt

May 29, 2008
Well the blurring is gone, which is good.

But the crosshairs are still double their size. They don't seem double the size in unrealed, but theyre double the size in UT.

Malevol3nt

May 29, 2008
Well, I've settled for a resolution of 1152x864. In other newer games 60hz with vsync on (60fps) seems more then enough. But I got used to playing UT at 85 hz on my old CRT, and this new lcd supports a max of 75 at a lower rez. Still 75hz gives me a much better feeling then 60hz, so I'll just have to stick to this lower resolution.

Thx for the efforts, someone else might have a use of those crosshairs aswell.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
But the crosshairs are still double their size. They don't seem double the size in unrealed, but theyre double the size in UT.

They still appear 4x the size in preferences but they should have the same size as the standard crosshairs in the game when the mutator is loaded (tested with a resolution of 1440x900). If they don't, please post a screenshot and give me your resolution. Your renderer too although that shouldn't have an effect.

Here's what a crosshair looks like on my side at different resolutions (640x480, a screenshot of preferences, 800x600, 1024x768, 1440x900).

P.S: If anyone else gets oversized crosshairs, please say and we'll try to fix this.

Attachments

• Shot0088.jpg
    Shot0088.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Shot0093.jpg
    Shot0093.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Shot0094.jpg
    Shot0094.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Shot0095.jpg
    Shot0095.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 40
  • Shot0096.jpg
    Shot0096.jpg
    673.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Diehard

Well, its cool you got it to work, and the first UTRP mod that has been released lol.

Obviously it would be cool if it would be entirely clientsided, but at least people do have a choice when they go play Single Player, or to a server that supports it :)

In time i will add it to the downloads, including the screenies you made.

Well the blurring is gone, which is good.

The crosshair needs to be set to at least 512 x 512 before blurring could occur. But in the editor if you open up the UTRP_Crosshair.utx package they should shup up as 256 x 256 and not 64 x 64.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Obviously it would be cool if it would be entirely clientsided, but at least people do have a choice when they go play Single Player, or to a server that supports it :)

There is a way but it's more trouble than it's worth. Basically, if such a mod exists, it could be whitelisted but would eventually end up being abused by cheaters. What the mod actually does is send a mutator to a client to run it autonomously.

Apart from that, it shouldn't pose much of a problem to have this installed on a server. Most administrators looking to increase their public will be open to anything that can set their server apart.

It would be possible to swap a player's crosshair's automatically if they enter a server.

P.S: Before you upload anything, I'd like to make some final changes.
P.P.S: If you're planning to redo other elements such as the hud, the rocket's lock-on crosshair or the sniper reticle, I can add those too.

@Malevol3nt: Maybe you downloaded the previous version before I got a chance to upload the current one :p .

Last edited:

Diehard

P.P.S: If you're planning to redo other elements such as the hud, the rocket's lock-on crosshair or the sniper reticle, I can add those too.

The sniper reticle actually was the first crosshair i made, but didnt include it because i asumed that one wasnt needed. But i can add that as well, and wont be difficult to make the Redeemer (RReticle) and the other red crosshair Crosshair6.

P.S. It does mean you have to use the High End version, because the sniper and redeemer crosses are already 256 by default, The larger version will therefore be 2048, which means they are aplicable for S3TC to prevent unwanted videolag. Obviously the ones already made i will keep those as 256 in the High End version instead the 2048 they are now.

For other HUD parts, you gotta tell me which ones you need, and ill see if i can make those(and where they are located in the Botpack).