Bulletstorm Demo Arrives

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
UDK =/= mod tools for a game.

UDK has limited assets to use. A game like UT3 or Bulletstorm has many + a frame to work with.
Simple mods are useless to do on UDK because there's no game to play with them. Making maps for gameplay is essentially a waste of time as you can't use them anywhere. As are weapons, mutators and all that.

It would definitely add some worth to the game if it had an editor. How much depends on your opinion.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Don't see how an editor would make it worth $30 more when the UDK is free.

UDK is good for making total conversions...but if someone wanted to make a custom map for bulletstorm, they cannot do that with the UDK. Basically they removed the Editor so they can release DLC, otherwise nobody would buy DLC if the community made its own extra maps.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Don't see how an editor would make it worth $30 more when the UDK is free.

Wow, if you're THAT short-minded it shouldn't even matter to someone explaining why this statement needs to look further ahead.

But if you're still smart, somehow, download the UDK, and come up with something playable! (No, not the few UT3 parts that comes along, something from SCRATCH)

Last edited:

[NBK]Rattman

Goo God
Feb 22, 2005
nbkillas.com
You can get around 75% of them by accident or just using the weapons as intended. The remainder weren't too tricky, save for the very last weapon, as you get it right at the end of the damned game and only have it upgraded for around 20 minutes or so...

Explored what? It's a linear corridor shooter.

Sure it's linear but you can move left and right in all the spaces in the game...and in those spaces you might find a news bot to destroy or some of those firefly thingys!

I know you can get about 75% of them by accident....I still found it enjoyable to try and pull them off on purpose.

The game is fun...and that's what i want in a single player game!

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
God I'm so annoyed with the absence of the editor that I'm like eff

because I would definitely play a large-scale urban map made by Kantham with Bulletstorm gameplay. Just an example.
It's like PCF killed the potential of the game in one hit.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Wow, if you're THAT short-minded it shouldn't even matter to someone explaining why this statement needs to look further ahead.

But if you're still smart, somehow, download the UDK, and come up with something playable! (No, not the few UT3 parts that comes along, something from SCRATCH)
Don't talk to me like I know nothing about creating things in UED. I take offense to your insulting remarks. I'm not a professional mapper but I have been involved with a mod project for every PC UT.

Also, I'm pretty sure there have been UE3 games that included the editor and had DLC. Having an editor does not prevent you from having DLC, and I do not agree that an editor adds $30 to the value of a game. If a game isn't worth it's price on its own, there isn't as much value in making content for it.

UDK has limited assets to use.
the idea is you make the assets yourself.

----------

Anyway, during the demo, it would let me try to sign in to GFWL, but when I tried to sign in it would ask for a product key. o_O

Last edited:

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
the idea is you make the assets yourself.
And that is exactly why you (and Epic Games apparently) fail to understand the situation.

Not every person who wishes to make mods wants to create a whole game from scratch, nor does every person who wishes to make mods have the technical know-how to make a whole game from scratch.

If you still don't understand, I'm sorry you take offense at Kantham's remarks but he's right about it. You are far too short-sighted, perhaps because you have the knowledge necessary to fully use UDK or don't care about having to create your own game.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Having an editor does not prevent you from having DLC, and I do not agree that an editor adds $30 to the value of a game. If a game isn't worth it's price on its own, there isn't as much value in making content for it.
That second sentence assumes a game with no value.

A good game, however, can become worth much more with active community support. I think about any of the Unreal Tournament games and how many mods/maps/mutators/skins I downloaded for them and just how much that extended my playtime. Therefore an editor does, in my eyes, does add value to the game.

Alhanalem

Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
You are far too short-sighted, perhaps because you have the knowledge necessary to fully use UDK or don't care about having to create your own game.
I am in no way short sighted because I don't agree with the dollar amount someone feels the editor adds to the game. As someone else in the thread already stated, the exact worth of it is up to one's personal opinion.

That second sentence assumes a game with no value.
if a game isn't worth it's price, yes, i'd say it has no value, at least to the people who wouldn't buy it at that price. Because if they would buy it, then it would have value.

An editor makes a great game (e.g. UT) even better. but if the game isn't great, or at least not great enough to be worth it's price on its own, then its less likely that a community is going to gather around and pick up the slack (And it's not going to have as good of an effect). I was actually suprised at the level of community support with UT3 when people started complaining about it (Not that I agree with the complaints, I enjoyed UT3)

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
I am in no way short sighted because I don't agree with the dollar amount someone feels the editor adds to the game. As someone else in the thread already stated, the exact worth of it is up to one's personal opinion.

if a game isn't worth it's price, yes, i'd say it has no value, at least to the people who wouldn't buy it at that price. Because if they would buy it, then it would have value.

An editor makes a great game (e.g. UT) even better. but if the game isn't great, or at least not great enough to be worth it's price on its own, then its less likely that a community is going to gather around and pick up the slack (And it's not going to have as good of an effect). I was actually suprised at the level of community support with UT3 when people started complaining about it (Not that I agree with the complaints, I enjoyed UT3)

I got a steam key thanks to BU staff, but I feel the game is worth 25 bucks, day one. on sale, 5-10 bucks.
It just doesn't have the legs.

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I was actually suprised at the level of community support with UT3 when people started complaining about it (Not that I agree with the complaints, I enjoyed UT3)

UT3 had great core gameplay but some really bad levels. So the community made some good levels. Note it was also one of the first UE3 games on the PC with an editor.

Look at UT2004. The amount of mods and total conversions (that did use UT2004 assets) I downloaded are paramount to easily $200 worth of indie games (of all variety too-racing,shooters, rts, zombies, puzzle). Considering UT2004 started at a retail price of $40 (with a 10$ rebate if you sent in your UT2003 manual)..I mean...holy ****.

No native deathmatch/ctf in bulletstorm? If it came with the editor I am very sure the community would have made its own. Just think about the possibilities of custom weapons in bulletstorm! We may have gotten some really creative stuff out of the community.

Hell Epic and other companies usually hire talented modders right out of the community! Creating a community of modders around your game almost guarantees that a company will never have an issue of hiring quality talent. It is like a win-win for both sides.

Last edited:

Alhanalem

Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
I got a steam key thanks to BU staff, but I feel the game is worth 25 bucks, day one.
Well the retail price is $59.99, so I assume that means you wouldn't have bought it (without a sale anyway) if it wasn't given to you for free.

Nightmare- UT99 and UT2kX were great games that were made even better by the community. Although as you said, UT3 had good gameplay with weak levels (and game options), I somewhat think it mostly rode on the other game's success. If UT3 was the first UT game, I don't think it would have had the same kind of custom content following.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
well, yeah. I wasn't going to buy it, especially without a demo, lol.

I did get a chance to try out the 360 demo first, but I wasn't blown away or anything.

Turns out the damn thing needs a patch, and going from the demo release schedule, we won't be getting it in this lifetime.
(prove me wrong, Epic)

Last edited:

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal

If it only had an editor, I'll probably say this is worth 50€
Don't see how an editor would make it worth $30 more
It would definitely add some worth to the game if it had an editor. How much depends on your opinion.
I don't agree with the dollar amount someone feels the editor adds to the game.
As someone else in the thread already stated, the exact worth of it is up to one's personal opinion.

wat.

Also I was only pointing out to you that there is a difference between the usability of the editor and the UDK, and not arguing about how much $ value it adds to a game.
But I don't know if you can see that difference.

I will repeat myself if I continue.