No Editor For Bulletstorm

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
It seems like Epic's guideline nowadays really is to merge modders in thier UDK. I'm with shoptroll on this one.

I always thought the UDK was the best move they've done, but I never figured they would try and force people use their UDK rather than mod for their products. Which is really abysmal.

Make something unreal contest? I'm still surprised that even existed.
I've seen one level designer get hired after a level he made in Gears of War.

nawrot

Jan 23, 2008
Marketing at its fullest. Flak is removing more negative (or whiny if you like) posts from that topic. Like Kantham's one and mine with citing him.

q_mi_4_3

Target pratice for others....
Jan 14, 2002
Somewhere in this world
It seems like Epic's guideline nowadays really is to merge modders in thier UDK. I'm with shoptroll on this one.
Saw this one coming way back in the other thread, not surprised at all. I do think this is Epic's decision, not EA, either due to GfWL or wanting people to use UDK instead (so they can keep Bulletstorm's code a secret to sell DLC).

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
So far I think Editor would only suitable for producing maps for Anarchy mode, and , unless they have around 12-20 maps for that mode by default, the existing ones would get boring pretty soon.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
Oh well... I was hoping for an editor since one of the MP modes sounded pretty much like a Survival/Horde mode and I like mapping for modes like that.
Somehow I feel a little more like buying it for the 360 now :eek:

matw

Jul 9, 2003
Adelaide, South Australia
Modding used to be a way to enrich a game and thereby draw new customers to your game in order to make money, for modders and gamers. Nowdays the financial models have changed and churning out consoles and selling them to everyone who has a TV is the desired way of the accountants. It costs money to support modding and this is the bottom line. The concept of modding for Epic now revolves around the UDK, which they have spent their money on - and it's a way to draw people to their engine, not one particular game. The engine is more important to Epic than the game. These are different times and it all centres on money.

In the eyes of the men in suits, this is regarded as financially "growing up". It's about taking a small money making company and making it into a "man" - a financially obsessed money making machine where the profit margins designate the path. This is regarded as true corporate maturity.

At the end of the day, you can't be bitter once you understand that just like every other company out there, it's all about profit. I don't agree but I understand.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Lets take a step back here... Flak's post seemed quite legit. They didn't want to put the effort into the PC version specifically to give it an editor because they feel like those who would buy it based on having an editor would be too small relative to the loss in customers.

That's fine, they're perfectly allowed to do that... provided they're smart enough to realize that the sudden drop in interest in Bulletstorm was a result of that.

I probably won't put my money in it anymore because for a game that's as repetitive (by design, again that's okay) as Bulletstorm I wouldn't think it would justify at least full cost in a time where I have very limited time and money and a much larger list of games that interest me -- without the expectation of third party content preventing the game going stale.

Very simple, very logical... we'll see what happens.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Marketing at its fullest. Flak is removing more negative (or whiny if you like) posts from that topic. Like Kantham's one and mine with citing him.

Post from Flak:
Constructive negativity is fine and everyone should know that by now. I understand your disappointment, but I will not allow insults and flames.

Unless someone really made a mess in there, all I did was point out I wasn't letting the door hit my ass on my way out, I mentioned I was done with their forums after this massive disappointment, and that they've completely lost their roots.

Was it a constructive negative? No. Was it insulting and/or flamy? No.

Not that it really bothers me though, just wanted to get my point across.

Last edited:

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
Modding used to be a way to enrich a game and thereby draw new customers to your game in order to make money, for modders and gamers. Nowdays the financial models have changed and churning out consoles and selling them to everyone who has a TV is the desired way of the accountants. It costs money to support modding and this is the bottom line. The concept of modding for Epic now revolves around the UDK, which they have spent their money on - and it's a way to draw people to their engine, not one particular game. The engine is more important to Epic than the game. These are different times and it all centres on money.

In the eyes of the men in suits, this is regarded as financially "growing up". It's about taking a small money making company and making it into a "man" - a financially obsessed money making machine where the profit margins designate the path. This is regarded as true corporate maturity.

At the end of the day, you can't be bitter once you understand that just like every other company out there, it's all about profit. I don't agree but I understand.

Uh, you realize that a good chunk of modding is based on things like making new maps, new weapons and custom gamemodes right? Big TCs like UT3 The Ball and UT2k4 Killing Floor aren't the majority of mods.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yes but you used a naughty word

Actually I've worded it "Might as well ban me from this forum". Like I said I just wanted to get my point across, this announcement was hard to take lightly after a lot of anticipation.

The whole morale of this story is not to hold your breath on being able to make a map for an EG's game anymore.
Well, so long, Epic Games.