Fare Thee Well, Nelson Mandela

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
...he was a criminal who spent most of the 1980's in prison.

right?

Most of the 80's? It was more like 30 years. As for being a criminal.. some would disagree with that and state he was an activist with a cause. Granted I don't know my Mandela history but I am pretty sure it was all non violent in nature?

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
The US had him listed as a Terrorist right up until he was hospitalised.

His political actions did include a number of bombings and his revolutionary group were armed and prepared for guerilla warfare.

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Most of the 80's? It was more like 30 years. As for being a criminal.. some would disagree with that and state he was an activist with a cause. Granted I don't know my Mandela history but I am pretty sure it was all non violent in nature?

Not quite all non-violent. Before his arrest, Mandela was involved in activities that here in the States would be considered terrorist in nature. His group admitted to bombing and other attacks, and although Mandela wanted to minimize casualties, the fact that any casualties at all were acceptable to him rather diminishes the claim that he was always a peaceful solution kinda guy. He trained for guerrilla warfare and planed to employ much harsher and deadlier tactics if needed. His first wife also made allegations of abuse, citing those allegations as reason for separation. Since the charges were later dropped, one has to wonder if they were true at all or was she simply wanting out because she saw him heading down a destructive path.

His time in prison on trumped up charges is where he became the Mandela we now know. Whose to say that had he been arrested and imprisoned for actual crimes he may have committed, he would likely never have been freed and the world would probably know him as a different man?

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
RIP

"I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die."

- Nelson Mandela (1918 - 2013)

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
"I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die."

- Nelson Mandela (1918 - 2013)

That quote nicely highlights why Mandela is such an extraordinary person.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Whose to say that had he been arrested and imprisoned for actual crimes he may have committed, he would likely never have been freed and the world would probably know him as a different man?
yes.
and whose to say that had I been the King of England, we would likely refer to me as King Jacks of England-land-shire?

:rolleyes: