Maps Without a Story...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
We all see several good maps these days. Ones that are complex in which the authors spend months to fix. Map authors sometimes include custom scripts, textures, and effects even. They put everything they can take from their imagination and throw it into their maps. But, on thing disturbs me...

These mappers, though are skilled in basically everything about mapping, though they spend their time developing even more maps just as good or even better, THEY don't even bother to write a story about their maps!!!

I'm sure no one likes "A good DM map for 4 players." as a description. That's absolutely lame! Authors tend to write something like that rather than telling what happened to the map before to why it has come up that way right now in the Tournament.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
Stories are cool and if someone wants to write some go ahead but in the end its about the map itself
If I had to choose between writing no story or writing a tournament story I would choose writing no story. The entire "tournament" association thing is the worst possible thing you could do to your map story and theme wise

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Hourences said:
Stories are cool and if someone wants to write some go ahead but in the end its about the map itself
If I had to choose between writing no story or writing a tournament story I would choose writing no story. The entire "tournament" association thing is the worst possible thing you could do to your map story and theme wise

Agree.

You wouldn't want the story I thought up for my last map though lol.so I left it out. (DM-3pole2k4).

But I do like (if it's a cool map) to have a story ,wich makes things kinda nice to know before you enter the level.

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
... i disagree with you Proph. The way 7Bullets let players know some of the caracters via-log files here and there added to the involvment (ok, it should be wrongly writen :p) the player felt while playing. The same way, a good, not-too-short-but-not-too-long description of a MP map is always welcome and add to it, possibly even elevating a common map (like many others), to a state of small distintion. If the authors have skill in creating the moody [cryptic] map description, that's entirely another different issue...

Icedancer

Colder than Steel
MH and SP/coop maps should always contain some kind of story in my opinion

2k4 maps, there is an easy way to write something for the maps description that shows up in the botmatch map selection screen, so there is no excuse there, i mean, seriously, use your imagination, its not hard, if you are really stuck just describe how the map looks, and add a few interesting words "an ancient valley, carved into the planet by some long ago glacier" ...see..its not hard :)

one of the really annoying things in the maps storywise however is... "how the HELL did i get here!" count how many maps actually have some kindof enterance into them, there's no door in/out of deck 16 ... no space shuttle orbiting face...

A story doesn't have to be words either, you can build up the picture by using subtle touches, like corpses and decaying skaarj...

I really enjoy a map that has a strong theme, not just the same old

"zomg its like a room, and you are never gonna get out coz theres no door!!!11mwahaha"

or

"dude, check out the awesome new platform floating randomly in deep space without any kindof oxygen or gravity control!"
"beautiful..."

Ice

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
->->->->->

Hourences said:
What he said..........

Nahand said:
... i disagree with you Proph. The way 7Bullets let players know some of the caracters via-log files here and there added to the involvment (ok, it should be wrongly writen :p) the player felt while playing. The same way, a good, not-too-short-but-not-too-long description of a MP map is always welcome and add to it, possibly even elevating a common map (like many others), to a state of small distintion. If the authors have skill in creating the moody [cryptic] map description, that's entirely another different issue...

I'm not saying don't do it, especially if it is a 2k4 map. Nothing is wrong with adding a little info about the map or history (hell I'm not a hypocrit, I've done it). But generally you want to keep it on par with what the player is gonna see. I can't tell you how many novels I've read in reames for a low poly cube.

So basically all I'm saying is, if your gonna include a story keep it in reasonable size to the map. Unless of course your Dutch friend asks you for some story help because his english isn't that good and he wants a cool story for his CTF map ;)

DM-MadScientistsLair

The Author wrote: "An old lab, previously inhabited by the evil Dr. Pomperi, is the latest place for the tournament. The map has some cool effects and a lot of new meshes (made by myself =D). Enjoy ;)"

He only used 1 sentence to explain the story of his map and another to explain it's features. That won't waste more than 1 minute of your life for writing a little description with a story after a month of losing yourself to your map with custom everything!

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Try this one if you want to read a good story->

Skaarjtower: shadow and fire

Yes, those are Sp/Co-op maps (tbh it's more geared towards co-op play).
A good read.

And those maps are well, incredible 0_° Tbh, it's gameplay over graphics here.
Although most outside areas look very nicely done/ok.

XepptizZ

What are you lookin at...
May 17, 2004
In solitude
I actually like adding stories to maps. It's a lot less hard then making the map so it's kind of a relaxing thing I do after the map is finished.

People should indeed add stories, descriptive or even explainetory, to the map. It gives players a little more insite about all the architecture and maybe why some special features are there.

I see way to many good maps with no description at all, sometimes the read-me has some more info about the map, but not always.

And Ice, this is what I think about that "How the heck did the players get in there?" thing, but it's specualtion off course;
In Unreal Championship the intro shows the team of Malcom and Gorge being teleported away from the audience thing after Malcom selected a map on some JumboScreens. I dunno if it teleports you to a receiving machine on the other side, but it would be logical if it just would senf you directly in the arena.

Icedancer

Colder than Steel
XepptizZ said:
And Ice, this is what I think about that "How the heck did the players get in there?" thing, but it's specualtion off course;
In Unreal Championship the intro shows the team of Malcom and Gorge being teleported away from the audience thing after Malcom selected a map on some JumboScreens. I dunno if it teleports you to a receiving machine on the other side, but it would be logical if it just would senf you directly in the arena.

ah, thanks dude, i've never played UC so i had no idea about that :)