Teaser Image of the New UT Released!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Epic has released a teaser image of a meshed part of one of the new UT maps. This was done by Chris Perna to show an industrial themed map as inspiration for the community and to show the direction that Epic is looking. He did say during the live stream yesterday that this isn't final and that it might need more work but it is a good representation of the direction they want to go with things.

PErsonally, I think this is excellent and exactly what we have been asking for. You can see that most of the details are out of the way and up higher. The play areas are clear of junk and the lighting is impeccable. If you watch the livestream and see them moving around this area, it looks flat out fantastic. Graphically, it blows everything else I've seen completely out of the water. Good job, guys!

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
Yep, that looks like it could be a real place where just yesterday you had workers running around, tools and rubbish and all kinds of stuff on the floor and now it's been cleaned up for deathmatch purposes.

That's the kinda "vibe" I used to get from (industrial) UT maps and which seemed to have vanished from UT3 a bit.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I noticed he was comparing it to Batman Origins vs. UT3's Tim Burton's Batman. My first thought, upon seeing it, was Mirror's Edge. It definitely would allow visible player characters -- so no complaints there.

I think from an overall visual comparison though, I'd say it's Star Wars vs. Aliens.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
do you old fogeys remember when they showed the old stuff from UT2?
Good god, idiots.

Won't get snagged, hahaha.

you dumbasses are so ****ing stupid.

dumbasses. I can't believe I ever talked to idiots like you.

Last edited:

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
Looks really... dated? I cant put my finger on it, I guess it reminds me too much of 70's scifi greeble. Also way too shiny I think. Doesn't feel like UT to me.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Looks really... dated? I cant put my finger on it, I guess it reminds me too much of 70's scifi greeble. Also way too shiny I think. Doesn't feel like UT to me.
Did you see it in the stream? It looks head and shoulders better than any other game that is out right now. It's pretty impressive.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
funny what chromatic aberration, low res reflections and ambient occlusion all at once can do.

hope the shadows I see aren't a vignette

Last edited:

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net

thats the design effect, like I said it looks like an old steamship.

That doesnt make it "bad". Remember the older pipage in UT/UT2003 etc etc, all were blocky angled curves, these are smooth. The "Hole" isnt blocky, its a circle.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Amazing. I like it. Why are there lights on though during the day?

Last edited: