Unreal Engine 4 Launch Game a MMO?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
I have just discovered rumours that the first game from epic on the new UE4 could be a MMO. Job sheets unearthed by nixelpixel do show that Epic is working on a "next gen MMORPG".

They have been vague rumours about this before but these titbits do suggest that there is little more substance to these rumours.

Job Sheet 1 & Job Sheet 2

Gamingblend also run with this story.

Could there be more to the Samaritan tech demo that we first thought?

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
I don't think it's in any way related to UE4. The only thing both sheets say is "next gen", however there's still this trend (although subsiding) to call games aimed for Xbox360/PS3 "next gen". And even if it refers to the next hardware generation, Epic mentioned that first games for next generation will be very likely made using latest version of UE3, which is under the hood of Samaritan. Also, I don't think the first UE4 game by Epic will be done by Epic Games China.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Yeah uhm ... they (meaning somebody from epic I don't recall exactly who) said their next big title would likely be an mmo (or something to that effect) several years ago on the Epic boards. How did people miss that? :con: Or did every1 just forget. I believe it was in the official UT3 topic and a response in regards to a question of if a Unreal game was in the works. Not trying to say this isn't news I certainly hadn't seen those links or heard it would be UE4. Just that the news post and linked articles sounds to me as if the mmo part is also a shocker to people... and I thought it was common knowledge.

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
wait and see, but I really doubt it's anything samaritan-related : today's hardware can barely play the "cutscene", so having that as an MMO ? since the point of MMOs is "more people bring in more people", the hardware limitation will be a huge hindrance.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
If it's Samaritan that would be... such a huge surprise. Not really. I mean, they used parts of Gears of War to demo UE3 so...

But MMORPG sort of makes it sound like World of Infinity Blade in a way, doesn't it? ^^

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
This rumor carries little weight to me. and I think Samaritan is way too content-heavy by it's nature, of what I've seen of it so far.

Gambit84

Oct 17, 2004
nicely played....

[Update: This is actually not Epic Games but a loose subsidiary and the game is not running on the Unreal Engine 4. More details and the full report is here.]

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Maybe it's the Unreal remake? But that wouldn't truly be a MMO, but Cliff said he doesn't see it happening in near future though afaik.

Or any Unreal game was still not anywhere near anyway from last we heard. If there is ever Unreal 3 (but as I mentioned once long ago it would be better to actually reboot the series and Cliff has hinted to that few months back afaik, that he would like to see that happening, remake of original Unreal), but if there ever is Unreal 3, I would probably imagine it being standalone world, like it would not be a direct sequel to Unreal or Unreal 2 the awakening, but probably going back into the roots and explaining some backstory behind some of the unreal races and perhaps ending with a "big boom" revelation, or maybe doing something similar to how Prometheus is to the Alien franchise now (I actually have a pretty clear idea about how such story would unveil well, but I am not going into details here). It would be I believe a great nod and closure to the series, with ignoring most of the UT story mess.

Just my two cents.

Last edited: