3D Realms Shuts Down, Duke's Fate Unclear

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
Ok, well everything I've read in the press refers to it as a joke, and all the indie devs in industry that I've talked to also refer to it as a joke.

Either way: HAHA SUCKS FOR DUKE. That's all I'm sayin. It's quite lulzy to me.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Duke Nukem is just a distant memory from a bygone age and was fun at the time.
I did keep an eye on the sequel like a 1000 years ago when I was mildly interested in the game since I played it to death when it first came out but shortly after the first engine swap fiasco it pretty much died right there for me.
Let's suppose the game miraculously takes shape, someone actually see's something and god forbid actually gets their hands on it and plays it, I seriously doubt it would make much of a dent in todays gaming climate.
Even if the franchise was taken over by a fresh studio and rebuilt from the ground up with the latest bells and whistles, the stigma associated with DNF and it's complete and utter failure would hang around like a fly on a cows arse and no amount of touchy feely nostalgia from die hard fan boys will change that - good game or not.
As they say - s|-|it sticks

Lruce

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
You are aware that between Duke3D and now there have been 10 (or so) games with Duke Nukem, right?

My personal favorite, and a true spiritual successor, is Duke Nukem: Manhatten Project.
I should play that game again when I'm back home.

Although, none of those Duke Nukem games were made by 3D Realms.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
seriously doubt it would make much of a dent in todays gaming climate.
Even if the franchise was taken over by a fresh studio and rebuilt from the ground up with the latest bells and whistles, the stigma associated with DNF and it's complete and utter failure would hang around like a fly on a cows arse and no amount of touchy feely nostalgia from die hard fan boys will change that - good game or not.
As they say - s|-|it sticks

Lruce

This only shows your very limited view and very limited ability of imagination. :)

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
Sorry to be so stuffy about it but real people will be losing their jobs as a result of the closure. That hardly seems "lulzy".

I was wondering when someone would say that in response to my comments. I was surprised no one said it earlier - there's always someone who mentions that as a counter argument. Oh no, oh no, we can't make fun of them because there are real people in the company! Oh no!
Yea, it sucks that people will be out of a job. It's also amusing that a company that used to be at the top of the pile a few years ago is pretty much relegated to the scrap heap because they literally took 12 years to develop a game that they still have not finished.
You realize what's happened in between the time they announced that game and now? The rise of MMOs, three generations of consoles (!), three US presidents, one of which had two terms, the widespread adaptation of 3D accelerated graphics, the introduction of gigahertz speed processors, the introduction of 500 GB and terabyte drives, the introduction of multi-core CPUs...I could go on and on. If a company like this, who took this long to make one game and failed to turn a decent profit because of that, goes out of business, it's less a tragedy and more a case study in poor management. Yea, it sucks that the underlings will have to get new jobs, especially at a time like this; but honestly, I would have jumped ship long ago - and hell, if it makes you feel better IronMonkey, if they put 3D Realms on their resume and manage to make it through all the jokes at the interview, they'll probably have no problem getting a new job.

Honestly some of you are treating this like it's the biggest tragedy to ever befall the gaming world :rollseyes: - yea, a developer who can't get their act together and whose only claim to fame was a sequel to a game developed when many gamers weren't even old enough to pick up a controller - a sequel that wouldn't be as famous as it is if it wasn't for the fact that it took a ludicrous amount of time to make, and STILL wasn't finished.

By the way, posted on Digg earlier:

http://digg.com/d1qX3q

If you can't read it, it says "Duke Nukem Forever".

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
It's also sad that a company that used to be at the top of the pile a few years ago is pretty much relegated to the scrap heap because they literally took 12 years to develop a game that they still have not finished.

Fixed.

Yes, 3DR deserve criticism for their failure to execute the delivery of the next game and they are now (in part - the full circumstances of the shutdown are not yet clear) paying the price for that but I'm still struggling to see how that is amusing.

BOiNG

Games for your mum
Jan 22, 2008
This only shows your very limited view and very limited ability of imagination. :)

Hardly. And whilst we're getting personal, you sound just like any fanboy does and Lruce has got a point that many people are raising.

Hardcore fans of any really old franchise always request a "remake" and when it comes they are always the ones most disappointed because it isn't exactly like the original game they hold (to some extent, falsely) in such high regard.
It's applicable to everything from UT, Quake 3 to Half-Life.
Fans crave that feeling they had 10 years ago - but the only thing that will give them that feeling is a time machine, not a remake.

Look at UT3. Epic actively tried to go back to the roots and how many UT 99 fans thought it was the game to bring back that UT99 feeling? :)
And now they'll say "but hey it was nothing like the original"
And there you have it.

You can't leave a game in the exact same state it was 10 years ago and any changes are most likely to be frowned on specifically by those hardcore fans of the franchise.

For example, if you were to make a UT game piece for piece like it's 1999 counterpart people would wonder what the **** this totally confused game was and why the hell the Village People are releasing a FPS.

In the specific case of Duke Nukem I found the original to be OK - but really no more. Yeah the gimmicks were fun at the start, but the game was no where near my favourite of all time either.
I think many people are attaching sentimental value to the product without realising it.

Yeah it sucks that many people have lost their job - but I think it's better that the Duke franchise has finally been put to rest and you can always remember the game at it's highpoint.

Look at that Jason Hall show footage, did that game really look that amazing? I thought it looked like any other FPS you can get now.

hieloco

Jan 22, 2008
San Salvador, El Salvador
I remember asking myself for many years what would be released first... Chinese Democracy or DNF... and then Chinese Democracy came out and ruined my philosophizing. And it kinda sucked.

I'm old.

Last edited:

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
Hardly. And whilst we're getting personal, you sound just like any fanboy does and Lruce has got a point that many people are raising.

No. I just can imagine how much the feel and gameplay had evolved.

It's applicable to everything from UT, Quake 3 to Half-Life.
Fans crave that feeling they had 10 years ago - but the only thing that will give them that feeling is a time machine, not a remake.

Worked quite well with HL2. You will lose some fans, you will gain new ones. It was done right.

Look at UT3. Epic actively tried to go back to the roots and how many UT 99 fans thought it was the game to bring back that UT99 feeling? :)
And now they'll say "but hey it was nothing like the original"
And there you have it.

If done the Epic way: You will lose a lot fans, you will gain very few new.

Look at that Jason Hall show footage, did that game really look that amazing? I thought it looked like any other FPS you can get now.

Play Crysis for looks. :) (And don't tell me you got anything about gameplay from that footage)

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
If they do not have a job.. then better work for free like anyone does with MODS and get the masterpiece out...

PAYBACK TIME, BABY!

KaiserWarrior

Flyin' High
Aug 5, 2008
This thread is now about (un-)funny, ironic adaptations of Duke one-liners to the situation.

"Those alien bastards are gonna pay for closing down my office!"

"Nobody steals our checks... and lives!"

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
By the way, posted on Digg earlier:

http://digg.com/d1qX3q

If you can't read it, it says "Duke Nukem Forever".

First, digg is a piece of **** that has to die with it's crappy ass framing.
The proper url is: http://duke.a-13.net/

First part of that list is interesting. Ignore everything after "Popular Video Game Series Releases", because it's a piece of **** nonsense.

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
First, digg is a piece of **** that has to die with it's crappy ass framing.
The proper url is: http://duke.a-13.net/

First part of that list is interesting. Ignore everything after "Popular Video Game Series Releases", because it's a piece of **** nonsense.
The fact that the guy must have sat there for hours or days compiling that crappy-ass list is the saddest thing of all. 3d Realms will probably serve as an example of what not to do in future game design classes and stuff but people without anything better to do but mock others' failures are the biggest losers.