JB-Egypt

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

INIQUITOUS

Purple Monkey DishWasher
Mar 26, 2005
U.K
www.ini.hazelwhorley.com
hi, i gave it a quick spin, its sure come along way :) when i first saw the screenys ^^ i thought "ooh a complete bsp map, no terrain, there wont be many bugs if any" but i found a few thingys :) and lector i accepted your challenge and did one better and got a screenshot from the top of the map :D

ok some things first that i havnt got screenys of.

-you can trans out if jail :(
-the arena should have two seprate fluid surfaces with two sperate env maps on them, but seeing as the two sides of water are connected you would get a "texture misalignment" on the env maps. so you could have like a divider between the two ? like a little ramp or trim or something.
-the whole map is abit plain and i think if you made some of the bricks that make up the main texture into actual meshes and had them sticking out and maybe some that have fallen out of the walls etc.. like on CTF-Face3 that would look nice. you could rip up more tiles, like you did in the arena, that would like good over the map. some sand terrain would look nice too i think, not loads just a tiny bit. if you decide to do add terrain add kill volumes underneath it.
-i didnt see/get/find any HOM's and it wasnt jerking for me.
-the mantas are so dumb, you can run around and avoid every single one very easily, i bet an entire team could :( can u make them cleverer lol? some times they get stuck aswel in the wall, where they spawn.

just a mesh sticking through i think. happens on both jails. one more than the other.

what happened here? when i first played it, i remember seeing a picture on this . but after one round it disapeard and went all wrong :S thats the first time anything like that has happened to me!

oops! bsp error of somesort.

mesh alignment, i thought this one quite noticeable.

this mesh needs lowering abit more so you cant see up inside his skirt lol and straight through him.

and last but not least :D

you can trans straight through the physicsvolume up here. the volume is way way below so u dont lose any health....put a limitation volume in the same place as the physics volume or a bit lower or something so u cant trans anywhere.

:)

Last edited:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Trans out of jail ???

Since when can you get the trans in jail? it gets disabled when you walk into it.
If it is the supertrans thing that IG gets played with at times It is only going to a affect a minority of people. I can't help it that certain mutators can make maps really easy to exploit, its a bit like with that mod which has a random teleporter in the weapon selection so you can get out of jail.
I don't like the idea of having to change a large amount of my map to cope with a mutator that isn't all that common.
Being able to get above the map comes into this, I have deliberatly left it possible to get out of the top at expense of 25 damage per second. Changing the whole thing for a blocking volume will spoil one of the intentional routes that suicidal people could use to try and get the switch.

Arena:
What dya mean by 2 seperate fluid surfaces, where would they go??? I really can't see what you are getting at here.

Jail:
Nothing I can do about the mantas that I know, I could make a subclass, but this might cause a similar problemn to 4wd had on lego where they wouldn't attack properly and for any length of time.
I am going to maker it look nicer for certain.

I will fix all the misalinments when I get home, thanks for spotting them. Last night I was working through Lector's points, including lots of visual tweaks.

WIll keep you up to date.

ps anyone else played it?

Aersik

Turbo charged pogo stick
Feb 9, 2005
There is an exploit that allows you to spawn with the normal xloc when you are sent to jail, but if you switch away or suicide in jail you are unable to select it until release. As far as I'm aware INI's using the XxxX xloc, which is a bit dodgy and you can spawn holding it in jail by suiciding repeatedly, but i haven't really tried it.

Last edited:

4WD

globle
Sep 6, 2004
belgium
just a minor thing in jail: set the monsters to bMonsterInGodMode=True
atm you can kill them, and since they were moving rather slow (wich is a thing you cant change due to the behaviour of them) it's easy to kill them all ;)
like the map, keep it up.

INIQUITOUS

Purple Monkey DishWasher
Mar 26, 2005
U.K
www.ini.hazelwhorley.com
the transing out of jail you can do with the xxxx trans by suiciding to get it back,which is a very popular trans btw. and then theres the other bug that Aersik poied out with the normal trans.. and its a bit silly to be saying "I don't like the idea of having to change a large amount of my map to cope with a mutator that isn't all that common." when all you need is a volume. right click volume>limitation volume>properties>disable trans or summat . done. and who mentioned blockig volume? "Changing the whole thing for a blocking volume". you acn stil ahve that gameplay element, just disable the trans.

the arena. at the moment you have one fluid surface correct? or an Xproc mesh. that covers the entire floor. on the surface you have an env map correct? in the arena there is two main rooms correct? in one main room you can see that it is there where you took the screenshots from to make the env map and the env map looks nice there. go to the other room, the other open space and you have the same env map on so the surroundings are all wrong on the reflections. in this other room make another env map for a second fluidsurface so you have the correct reflections in the water. because they wil b two and the are joined by a small stream of water, just cut it in half, add a stone or something. its very lazy to have shoddy env maps. the one you hav is nice but it needs a second because the other room should really have its own. its not like a big open space where you can use the same one. its basically two different fluids. jsut trying to make the map look good.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
Can't open up the map at the moment. Apparantly I am out of Virtual Memory (I'm not..... Every other map opens fine at the moment.)

Will try and sort it out as soon as I can and describe the problem to you.

Alternatively I will have to get my ftp upload fixed then will upload it so you can download it and take a look for youurself

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
Still not working.
But have uploaded what I have so far, please see if you can open it, I'm completely baffled that I can't....
download here

And for anyone who can get it open, any ideas why I can't???

Also someone take a lok at the attachmovers and al lthe triggered moveers in the jail.... couldnt get them working before.... I just want to get this map released now.... am pissed off with it... lol

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
The_Head said:
I just want to get this map released now.... am pissed off with it... lol
No. If you don't want to work on it, don't work on it, but never release it 'unfinished'. I wouldn't mind waiting for ages if the final is a good one. Maybe you must forget this one for a while until you get new ideas or something to do... From the JB maps you've been working on, I definitely like this one the most. :)
No problem opening the file here, it is using the 1st version of the TeamSpecificActors. Perhaps you removed it after downloading the 2nd version, they are not compatible... ;)

Some thingies:
- Scale the map down to Factor 0.75! I've tried it and I think it works 25 times better! :p Less open, yet not cramped, you can cross the whole map much more easily, you can dodgejump from the Flak spot to the minigun hill... \o/ In addition, the brushes stood aligned to the grid and no BSP bugs happened! You only would have to delete the Antiportals (they can't be resized) and place new ones, and lower the playercount to 8-10... ;)
- The 4 big strucural staticmeshes over the map that are surrounding it don't look nice for me.
- Execution: I don't like the new one tbh, we have already seen that in JB-Gravity, and that one fitted better with its theme. Now that the jails are smaller, I think the monsters can be brought back and working: Some bricks disappear in the jails and a few small monsters come from the holes... just an idea... :rolleyes:
- Move the LightingGun in front of the doorway? (instead of the corner)
- The sunlight is too bright, and the shadowed areas need some more ambient lighting as they are looking nearly black...

Don't rush this map, please! :)

Last edited:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
G.Lecter said:
No. If you don't want to work on it, don't work on it, but never release it 'unfinished'. I wouldn't mind waiting for ages if the final is a good one. Maybe you must forget this one for a while until you get new ideas or something to do... From the JB maps you've been working on, I definitely like this one the most. :)
No problem opening the file here, it is using the 1st version of the TeamSpecificActors. Perhaps you removed it after downloading the 2nd version, they are not compatible... ;)

Some thingies:
- Scale the map down to Factor 0.75! I've tried it and I think it works 25 times better! :p Less open, yet not cramped, you can cross the whole map much more easily, you can dodgejump from the Flak spot to the minigun hill... \o/ In addition, the brushes stood aligned to the grid and no BSP bugs happened! You only would have to delete the Antiportals (they can't be resized) and place new ones, and lower the playercount to 8-10... ;)
- The 4 big strucural staticmeshes over the map that are surrounding it don't look nice for me.
- Execution: I don't like the new one tbh, we have already seen that in JB-Gravity, and that one fitted better with its theme. Now that the jails are smaller, I think the monsters can be brought back and working: Some bricks disappear in the jails and a few small monsters come from the holes... just an idea... :rolleyes:
- Move the LightingGun in front of the doorway? (instead of the corner)
- The sunlight is too bright, and the shadowed areas need some more ambient lighting as they are looking nearly black...

Don't rush this map, please! :)
Not sure if that was the exact reason for the problem, but it was to do with the team actors. I have all the versions As I tested every version Jrubzeknf had worked on. But I sent him the map, he replaced the actors with the new ones.... SO thats one less thing to piss me off at the moment. lol

I'll Try the new scale, although I think 75% might be a little drastic, but thats just thinking it in my head. lol

I presume you mean the hugge web/arch type thing. I liked it for the shadows it gave and it broke up the skybox a bit. I do have a lot more detail up in the higher areas of the map now so will take a lok at it without.

When you say you dont like the new one. Is that with how it is ingame??? or when you are looking in the editor seeing how it *should* work?

WIll look into the sunlight. Its hard judging it right.... different peoples monitors are set at different levels (/thinks back to arguements on Cyanide's brightness)

I'm not gonna rush it, would be silly after all the time I have spent with it. Just fed up with it being sat on my harddrive for about 6 months still unfinished.. lol

Hopefully I will get some nice time over the xmas holidays to work on this.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
Think I may be able to get another beta out this weekend with any luck.
Made the jail look much sweeter, trying to come up with a nice original death sequence. The on I have with the monsters coming out of a door is a bit overused imo.

Can't get the map scale thing to work.... I'm trying to use the tool "scale map" but it doesnt actually do anything.... am I doing something wrong?

Added a new cut through route, it goes from the corridor (between shock and base) and the main room. Makes the map muh faster paced. The bots now attack much better, just need to tweak them a bit, but they are attacking through all 3 routes into the base now, just had a great math against the skilled bots. (Yeh I pwned them but they were attacking well which was what I wanted to achieve)

Now for some screenies.

newroute.jpg

Here is the new route

prettyness.jpg

And here is an overal shot of the map. Looks damn nice in the full 1280x1024 res that I have it in.... (/gets larger monitor soon :)) This pic will be used for the loading screen

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
You should make a stair or something around that new doorway... and make sure the new path won't be overtaken... ;)

Can't get the map scale thing to work.... I'm trying to use the tool "scale map" but it doesnt actually do anything.... am I doing something wrong?
You must select what you want to scale before using the tool: Go to the Top viewport, hit Ctrl+Alt and drag a box around your map. (Don't select the arena and the Skybox...)

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
Resized the mpa seems good so far. Will give it a good play later to see whether I like it enough like this. scaled it 0.8, you can still jump from the flak to the minigun hill. Couldn't find anything I didn't like about the resize at a quick glance and didn't see any HOOMs which is always nice :)

What dya mean by putting a stair aroun the doorway?

Also when making The loading screen, using the templates off of the JB wiki site (think thats where I got them.....) With the UT2004 logo, whats the best way to overlay it? Previously I alwayts uses to cut out all the white which doesn't look so great, all the other bits to add you can get perfect by settings it as some form of overlay, couldn't find one that did the job here.

PS the bots put up a great fight on adept. Inidividual scores I can still beat them but as a team they work well it seems. attacking from differnt directions at once.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
This is driving me ****ing nuts.....

No matter what I do I cannot import the textures I want into the map.....
Yet if i select a random picture off of my desktop it works fine.... like wtf is going on here....

I swear both UED and Photoshop have somit against me..... its ****ed.

i can't import my screenshots or the loading screen that I will finish once photoshop work like it should......

Map would have been done by now.....

Any ideas?

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
The screens that Hans sent me for Isolated were .bmp and all them were imported correctly. Try saving your Photoshop image in that format, and don't forget compressing it then and setting the LOD_Interface thing... ;)

Well, you made a LoadingScreen for this one and Cyanide already, so I don't know why it is failing... The editor crashes in my comp if I open the texture properties window when a window-skinning program (WindowBlinds, StyleXP, etc...) is running... Perhaps that's your problem...

btw, Give us a final bet befor releasing! :)

Last edited: