New Unreal Tournament News Roundup

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
With Thursday's announcement of a new Unreal Tournament title, quite a few people have come out of the woodwork regarding the title. Among the two who have... the composers of the original games in the series, Michiel van den Bos and Alexander Brandon, have both left posts regarding their interests in scoring the new title, and in return, today a reply from Steve Polge emerged:

"Michiel, Of course we would be thrilled to have you and Alex involved in this project! The music you guys made always invokes tremendous nostalgia for me - I'm always instantly transported back to playing UT. How are you interested in participating?"

Could this mean that we'll see a return of the original composers to this next title? Time will only tell, but there is clearly plenty of community support (including from yours truly) on the prospects of this development.

In other, related news, Kevin Riepl (who composed for UT2003, UT2004, and UT3) also left a post in another thread expressing his interest, schedule permitting:

"I'm certainly not opposed to being a part of this. I have no idea the schedule of the development and my contribution I suppose would depend on my schedule allowing it."

So in short, it sounds like the new may well have the sound of the old. Nothing is set in stone yet, nor official, but there's certainly some interest. As always, we'll keep you posted.

UPDATE (May 11 2014, 12:53 AM EDT): Steve Polge has likewise replied to Kevin Riepl.

"Kevin, you did a fantastic job with your contributions! For a lot of fans who were first introduced to the series with UT2004, your music is the definitive sound of the franchise (and it rocks). We'd love to have you participate if you are able. It's a bit early for us now to have any specific development plans for music, but I know we'd love to have whatever you were able to do."

As before, we'll keep you posted if anything is confirmed.

Tim Sweeney has left a post regarding a question common of our modern times: "Will the new game be on Steam?"

"We haven't figured out the complete distribution plan for the game once it's ready to be downloaded and played as a standalone package.

We will definitely make it available as a free download from our website.

We love Steam, but before making any promises we need to investigate the technical and financial practicality of running something like the Unreal Engine 4 Marketplace within the framework that Steam provides."

So for now, whether the new UT is on Steam or not is a secret to everybody.

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
Even I have to admit this would make a pretty awesome soundtrack. UT3 had a good one, although it wasn't fit for my taste, but I can recognize good work when I hear it. Now KR, Van den Boos and Brandon on the same game would be the best soundtrack ever to grace a videogame.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
We love Steam, but before making any promises we need to investigate the technical and financial practicality of running something like the Unreal Engine 4 Marketplace within the framework that Steam provides.
Won't be on Steam, then... :tdown: Valve won't allow any external way to sell DLC on a Steam game... Weren't some games removed from the Store a couple years ago because of that?

Now let's see if they actually hear the community or they implement that awful store no matter what the players say... :rolleyes:

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
Won't be on Steam, then... :tdown: Valve won't allow any external way to sell DLC on a Steam game... Weren't some games removed from the Store a couple years ago because of that?

Now let's see if they actually hear the community or they implement that awful store no matter what the players say... :rolleyes:

Huh? Store? Did I misunderstand the part about development being open and nonprofit?

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Huh? Store? Did I misunderstand the part about development being open and nonprofit?

Nobody said anything about non-profit. Epic takes 19 dollars if you happen to live outside Europe, 19 Euros if you are unfortunate enough to live in it per month from people who want to take part in the development. Anything, access to the UE4/UT4 sources and to the modding tools, is included and there is no "lightweight account". Also Epic takes a share of the price people pay for marketplace items. Modders an mappers will be allowed to sell their work there, but I'd expect most things to be free because they would not be downloaded for money.

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
Actually I misphrased myself; I was talking about UT4 in general, not about renting the engine.
The way I understand it will be free, which in turn allows for volunteer third party contribution. If it were for profit then open development would be difficult because Epic would need to buy the assets made by third parties. The talk about a "store" for UT4 seems incompatible with that idea, but maybe I'm just assuming/misinterpreting things.

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Actually I misphrased myself; I was talking about UT4 in general, not about renting the engine.
The way I understand it will be free, which in turn allows for volunteer third party contribution. If it were for profit then open development would be difficult because Epic would need to buy the assets made by third parties. The talk about a "store" for UT4 seems incompatible with that idea, but maybe I'm just assuming/misinterpreting things.
Free to play, non-free to create content as far as we currently know. (Some are arguing that mapping-only should be free, as some bring up points that it does present a potential entry barrier to aspiring modders due to learning curves, etc.)

From what has also been said, though, content created is forward-compatible, so really if you just want to map, all you need to do is buy it once for $20, cancel the subscription, and you're set. No subscription means no updates and no more asset access, though, I think.

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
Free to play, non-free to create content as far as we currently know. (Some are arguing that mapping-only should be free, as some bring up points that it does present a potential entry barrier to aspiring modders due to learning curves, etc.)

From what has also been said, though, content created is forward-compatible, so really if you just want to map, all you need to do is buy it once for $20, cancel the subscription, and you're set. No subscription means no updates and no more asset access, though, I think.

Ah yes, I read over this part it seems.

We’ll eventually create a marketplace where developers, modders, artists and gamers can give away, buy and sell mods and content. Earnings from the marketplace will be split between the mod/content developer, and Epic. That’s how we plan to pay for the game.

Kind of mixed feelings about it. It's great news for content creators who'll have a platform to monetize their hours put in. So that's pretty great, mods are much more involved than they were 10 or 15 years ago. On the other hand, one of the aspects that made modding for games like UT succesful was the open and free nature. I might be wrong, Steam seems to do it pretty succesfully. Also the added incentive might make for higher quality work. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

artuur

Mar 4, 2009

Cheer up my friends
Latest, greatest and fully updated UE4 is also available on torrents for free

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Cheer up my friends
Latest, greatest and fully updated UE4 is also available on torrents for free

That's your second post about stealing Unreal products, which is highly frowned upon here (at least it used to be). You might want to keep those type of posts to yourself if you wish to keep posting on these boards.

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
I was pretty excited about this until I found out that a subscription to the engine is needed to create content for the game. I'm fine creating content for other people without getting paid, I'm fine paying for a game, but I'm not fine paying people to create content for them.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
I was pretty excited about this until I found out that a subscription to the engine is needed to create content for the game. I'm fine creating content for other people without getting paid, I'm fine paying for a game, but I'm not fine paying people to create content for them.

But you won't be paying for the game. You get the game 100% free. So, you plop down $20 for a license (don't have to keep paying month to month if you don't care about the latest/greatest updates), and you get a game that you helped create. Seems like a decent trade off to me if you want to help make it.

Epic has to make money somehow. Paying a small fee for the right to say that you helped make an A title game, and then getting it for free...doesn't seem too bad to me.

Or if you don't want to contribute and just enjoy the free game, that's fine too.

Last edited:

Evill_Bob

Cheese Hopping Rocket Spammer
Dec 19, 2005
In your computer, duh.

Could still be on Steam. Team Fortress 2 has a workshop where items are voted on. The high-ranking ones that Valve likes are integrated into the game itself. This gets the community involved and keeps people from flooding the game with dickhats.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Could still be on Steam. Team Fortress 2 has a workshop where items are voted on. The high-ranking ones that Valve likes are integrated into the game itself. This gets the community involved and keeps people from flooding the game with dickhats.
Yeah, but TF2 uses Steam's features whereas Epic seems to want UT4 to use their own UE4 Workshop/Marketplace. I could be wrong but, afaik, Steam's policies don't allow content to be sold through any marketplace that isn't Steam's one... ;)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yeah, but TF2 uses Steam's features whereas Epic seems to want UT4 to use their own UE4 Workshop/Marketplace. I could be wrong but, afaik, Steam's policies don't allow content to be sold through any marketplace that isn't Steam's one... ;)
To be more accurate, Steam doesn't allow content to be sold through any other marketplace that isn't also sold on Steam.