Cliff Bleszinski Starting A Studio, New IP Silverlight

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Speaking to the folks at G4, Cliff Bleszinski reveals that he is going to start his own studio and begin work on a new IP code-named 'Silverlight'. For the last couple of months he has been meeting with various game studios and speculation was that he was looking to hook up with another established brand.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Cliff Bleszinski is going to make you his bitch.

Gambit84

Oct 17, 2004
Glad to hear it.

But man, years do pass fast. I always thought he looked young for his age, but hes grown into it now. I'll definitely check out any new IP of his.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
IP stands for Internet Protocol. I really hate when people abuse the term that some beancounter thought up and now everyone uses the word "IP" when talking about games. Seriously. It's so retarded. Just say game goddamn fucking damnit. You're going to check out any new IP from him, that almost sounds like as if you are a stalker and are tapping onto him and seeing what IP adresses he has/changed etc. I think one of the reasons Cliff left is because he left restricted by all these terms as well and having to use them or watch his words or he maybe said something he shouldn't, who knows what was truly going on in there. Of course that's all my speculations.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Err, IP stands for 'Intellectual Property', and it's a terminology that predates games (late 19th century).
And that is WHY it is retarded exactly. Why when talking about games use such beancounting term? This is exactly my point. If you told this to a gamer back in 90s he would laugh his ass off, seriously calling games an intellectual property when speaking of a game itself? No thanks.
And back in 19th century they talked about Intellectual Property in completely different contexts and didn\t abbreviate it as "IP" which in the network really stands for Internet Protocol.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Can't tell if trolling or completely clueless about common legal lingo.

The game isn't the Intellectual Property. The game is built upon aspects of the property. Case in example, Warhammer 40,000 is a very widely used Intellectual Property encompassing a large number of different products and media. Dawn of War is a game that encompasses that property. It is not the property itself.

Creating a new game that has a new setting, world, fiction, distinct art, whatever, means you're creating a new Intellectual Property.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Can't tell if trolling or completely clueless about common legal lingo.

The game isn't the Intellectual Property. The game is built upon aspects of the property. Case in example, Warhammer 40,000 is a very widely used Intellectual Property encompassing a large number of different products and media. Dawn of War is a game that encompasses that property. It is not the property itself.

Creating a new game that has a new setting, world, fiction, distinct art, whatever, means you're creating a new Intellectual Property.
And? Any new game that isn't in an established universe is that automatically, so what is the point? It is still retarded and I'm sorry but I don't share your ideas of the gaming business of "modern world", because it quite frankly sucks. But you probably can't tell either way since you live completely within it and I am apparently threatening your sense to view it from a bit of a perspective and get my point. That doesn't mean we should announce everything that is a new game as "IP". What the hell is wrong with all these people anyway? It's like walking to a store and getting a new type of wrench but instead of wrench you say "IP" or anything else. Hey hand me over that Intellectual Property will you? Now that sounds retarded doesn't it? Yet that's how it sounds here to me too.
So basically, saying "Oh I want to check out that new Intellectual Property" is suddenly ok in gaming world? I wonder where will the degragation stop seriously. Epic for me is already dead, but not because of the reasons many think it is. It has became way too big and corporate and only caring for handing out licenses/not releasing source code to public, instead they came up with UDK to shut up these who still want the source code of the original unreal engine etc. One can't even license it anymore so it should be avaiable for free, if not general public license(which can backfire on itself as shown with some products when companies went bankrupt) then just public domain although that will hardly happen. Just get some clue. It's not that hard. So what happens is they release UDK with public headers and all the easy to use tools so people can make their free games or do a basic cheaper license if they want to sell their game, yet they dont have control over the internals or the portability.
Now that is the negative side of it, but fine, it's all fine only if they actually released the old sources to public. Carmack has done that always and several others. Why not Tim? Did you know that before Unreal was out there were about 22 licenses for the game engine as a result of the big deal with GTi, yet after budget cuts only like three of the projects survived past Unreal release? That was supposed to remain secret pretty much, but it shows that it already went wrong with the hype of Unreal and that even though Unreal turned out to be a coherent and great game, it is probbaly the last Epic Megagames release as such altogether, even though they made a masterpiece it was an end of the company as we knew it and then it slowly went more and more downhill. While I like UT3 gameplay and prefer it over the previous UT installments, it really has a lot of scars. And after Cliff and others left there is really nothing left of Epic. I respect Cliff for his work and everything, he always made sure the games
were playable and coherent even though in some cases it was almost impossible task and his level design has influenced myself to begin with and make me make m first map ever to begin with more than 10 years ago now(can't believe it's so long ago already). With Epic these days anyway it's first engine and then the game and that is the fatal mistake here.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Yeah but unless it shares part of the title, or is told to be set within that particular universe, noone should assume it isn't completely new. So really this is bogus terminology and I hate it.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Er...resorting to childish insults just because you can't grasp what I am talking about? Typical.
Don't mind if I don't continue that "trend" or take no part in it. One apparently cannot discuss and differ in opinions these days from the established beancounter terms and imposed bullshit.

Last edited: