UE3 - UDK small delay in player's input; how to fix?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sep 5, 2012
Hi,
For UDK game/editor: There is a small delay (about 1/5 of a second) in the player's input (keyboard moving Up, Down, Left and Right and mouse look) before that inputs affect the game.

Could you please show me how to get rid of that delay?
Thank you so much.

------------
[I don't think this is due to my low end computer, for the game runs smooth (just a small example map in the UDK).]

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
You mean actual delay, or delay in your logic setup? I'm fairly certain input trapping is fairly direct. If it's your logic setup, check for any latent actions that could be causing this.

Sep 5, 2012
Thanks very much for your response.

I don't know what does logic setup mean...
Anyway, I have figured out what causes the issue.

At 15 frame per second (the small map still runs rather smooth), there is not enough frame per second to right away reflect the changes made by the input device (keyboard, mouse). By disabling post-effects, frame rate increases to around 30, the issue has been fixed.

----
By the way...
I have visited http://www.flickr.com/photos/joshendriks/ in the hope of figuring out what's behind your avatar...

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
Plenty of things can cause latency.
Try disabling vsync and turn of postprocessing, see if that helps.

Sep 5, 2012
Thank you.

Can the administrator tell me why my previous reply to Sjosz has been disapproved? Did it violate the rules?

Last edited: