Shakeup At Epic Games, Irrational

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Over the last week a few interesting personnel moves have been made behind the scenes at Irrational and Epic Games.

Kotaku reports that a number of employees at Irrational, working on BioShock Infinite, have departed. Among them the Art Director and the Director of Product Development. In their wake a load of features have been dropped from the game such as two of the multiplayer modes. Not all the news is bad, however, as several key players from the original BioShock have returned, along with Epic Games' director of production at Epic Games, Rod Fergusson. Fergusson, who was instrumental in the Gears of War series, will be coming aboard Irrational.

It also turns out that Epic Games has formally purchased People Can Fly (they formerly held only a stake in the company), developer of Bulletstorm and Painkiller. Chmielarz was creative director at the studio. Founder Adrian Chmielarz, lead artis Andrzej Poznanski, and principal artist Michal Kosieradzki have all departed the studio.

Metaltron

choppin' broccoli
Mar 3, 2009
Santa Cruz
steamcommunity.com
Not sure what to think about that. The lack of multiplayer stuff doesnt bother me much (I dont know how well-recieved the multiplayer on Bioshock 2 is. I assume not many people play that).

I like this one's setting a lot though.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
The Irrational guys have clearly left because the project is supposed to be on shelves in around 6 months time. One of those guys is an art director. There's not a lot of art to direct when your game is fundamentally complete.

New staff will be being brought in primarily to work on whatever the next project is.

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
Also a bunch of other Gears vets left to make their own studio.

Really wonder how much trouble Bioshock Infinite is in to have people jump ship or to bring on more senior talent.

Plus didn't Rod just become the one producer to rule them all at Epic? Must have been a nice offer from Irrational to leave a legendary production gig at Epic.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Also a bunch of other Gears vets left to make their own studio.

Really wonder how much trouble Bioshock Infinite is in to have people jump ship or to bring on more senior talent.

Plus didn't Rod just become the one producer to rule them all at Epic? Must have been a nice offer from Irrational to leave a legendary production gig at Epic.
AFAIK, Bioshock Infinite is pretty much done.

Also, yes to Rod. Maybe he got the same package as WarTourist ;)