UE4-Powered Fortnite: PC in 2013

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Epic Games made quite a stir at Comic Con in San Diego by announcing that their newly teased game Fortnite would indeed be powered by Unreal Engine 4 and is being developed for the PC for 2013. Screenshots below:

In Fortnite, players will explore, forage, collaborate and build by day in their own dynamic and expanding world. At night, they'll work together to defend their prized fortress from the forces of darkness.

Attendees also received a first look at Fortnite's building system, which is designed so that players can use scavenged materials to quickly build and renovate structures of varying materials and complexity.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Looks like an expansion of TF2. It can be very good though if done right.
But i had rather seen Epic use a UT4 ala QL to promote UE4 tbh.

Last edited:

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
It does seem like they have a huge amount of confidence in Fortnite to make it a PC title (at least to start with) AND the first UE4-powered title at the same time.
After all, it seems rather difficult to satisfy the PC market and judging by the tech demo they showed, Fortnite doesn't seem to show off all the bells and whistles of UE4.

Personally, I'm looking forward to this. It looks really interesting so far :)

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
nice move.
Now the game will generate even more interest. People who at first didt seem to like can give him a chance to "see the new engine"

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
Not fond of cartoon style.
Where is my beloved Unreal??? Come on, UE4 without anything Unreal?

I think it's bound to happen at some point early on in UE4's life cycle. Just hope it's going to be less Gears and more UT in terms of colors and less buggy than UT3 (as that seems to be what most people complain about even though there haven't too many bugs that really affected the fun I've had and still have with UT3)

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Yeah I'm interested about this game too. Didn't see a cartoon-looking Epic title since the Jazz ones.

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
It does seem like they have a huge amount of confidence in Fortnite to make it a PC title (at least to start with) AND the first UE4-powered title at the same time.

I don't think it's about confidence. IMO Fortnite displays a level of graphic fidelity that is beyond what can be handled by the current console generation. So not only it is a title to show off UE4's capabilities, but also as a nod to console developers to get on with PS4 / XBOX whatever (although you can argue that a cartoony game is not the most effective way to show off the engine)

Plus, with the way Sweeny's been talking about Free-To-Play lately, I bet this is going to be the case. And knowing the cash-grab company that we are talking about, I bet Epic is going to give a whole new meaning to the expression Pay-To-Win. I hope I'm wrong.

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
I'm just glad they're going for something else than a variation on the space marine theme.

Grasshopper

Jan 21, 2008
Upstate NY
I think Epic has a firm grip on the dragging tail of the zombie killing craze. Been a while since they were cutting edge in gaming. I expect they will go with the flow until the are circling the drain.

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
I think visually UE4 will become more identical to CE4 (which for sure will be fully dynamic GI based) in the next generation.
So when Cryteck is busy with showing off cutting-edge graphic with its realistic scifi shooter, Epic is making this cartoon stuff and, can we really hope this title to give better promotion and push for powerful new consoles?:rolleyes:

I think it's bound to happen at some point early on in UE4's life cycle. Just hope it's going to be less Gears and more UT in terms of colors and less buggy than UT3 (as that seems to be what most people complain about even though there haven't too many bugs that really affected the fun I've had and still have with UT3)

Epic needs a new AD who truly understand what UT/U is supposed to look like.

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
... who truly understand what UT/U is supposed to look like.

That's the issue right there, ask 20 different UT fans what UT is supposed to look like and you'dd be surprised how much views can differ.
You simply cannot translate a 90's game into modern day high res without kicking in the preconceptions of a certain group of people in favor of another.

On a sidenote, this board is starting to remind me of a Jazz Jackrabbit forum, bitching about how Epic lost their ways with fuckin' Unreal :lol:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
If this has an editor and uses Steam Workshop it would be amazing.