Tim Sweeney: F2P The Future Of Gaming

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
SC Ghost was fanserviced into the SC2 campaign; remember Nova? ...but that's about it, and seeing how the Borealis made it into Portal 2... Well, ouch. They better be making HL3 instead.

hieloco

Jan 22, 2008
San Salvador, El Salvador
Apparently Tribes: Ascend is pretty good for a F2P though... I haven't played it yet, but it seems people like it. Maybe the next UT will be like that, who knows...

I'm still sticking with UT2k4 though... it would be nice if we as a community modded that game to make it look super spiffy again, but keeping its insane colors intact (which is part of why I didn't like UT3)!

Last edited:

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
I don't mind f2p, but I desperately want to see classes and stat progression systems die.
10 years ago I could play a game and approach a situation any way I wanted to, noways you get funneled into these pre-chewed roles without any room for developing personal choice or style of playing. Seems like game devs these days are getting lazy and follow the done-to-death "add grinding and xp upgrades" formula. Keep those things in RPGs, don't stick them into multiplayer shooters ...

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
I don't mind F2P either. At least you get to play a particular title and decide for yourself if its worth spending money on. You don't have to take the word of a reviewer who has spent maybe 20 minutes playing usually under controlled conditions, a rigged demo. Or just take the plunge and hope for the best. Not only that the consumer gets to decide how much money a game is actually worth.

The model also forces developers not to be so lazy and throw rubbish out the door hoping to trade off past glories. Because if they do their income stream is going to dry up pretty fast.

The only real downside imo is Pay to win which will be a temptation to greedy developers who will rely on the more gullible or lazy consumers to part with large quantities of cash as a crutch to lean on rather than getting good at a particular title.

So all in all F2P gets a cautious welcome from me.

Last edited:

Feralidragon

UT n00b coder
Feb 25, 2008
Blacklight Retribution, google it to find out what it is about.

It's a F2P game, and it's not P2W (seriously, I don't pay a dime and I have been playing it since March or so, and I have bought and unlocked most weapons by now), and it's greatly working out.
They have a GP and ZEN currency. GP is got by just playing the game, ZEN is got by paying real money.

And although the player levels range from 1 to 35 atm, a level 1 is still able to own a level 35 as things are incredibly balanced, and most of the time you cannot tell who pays and who's playing for free (generally you only know who pays by their player skins, if they have one only available by ZEN, then...).

So, a F2P without P2W and still being profitable is possible, each game just has to find its way to the best balance.